1/48 XX339 RAF Valley *Finished*+1/72 Red Arrow

chrisrope

Hi, For this Group build I shall be doing XX339 from the new Airfix boxing in 1/48

HPIM2191.jpg

Made a brief start tonight, painting the greys on the cockpit, sidewalls, undercarriage and wheel bays

HPIM2201.jpg

HPIM2200.jpg

While I was at it, I started this one in 1/72 as an extra build. It will be built as XX238 in red, white and blue 1987 display scheme with union jack tail( I originally chose this but changed to 339 but decided to do it too)

HPIM2192.jpg

Using this sheet

HPIM2193.jpg

Done the same greys on this too

HPIM2202.jpg

They both need another coat tomorrow. Looking forward to really getting cracking on these.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chrisrope

Bit of progress over the last couple of days.

On the 1/72, got the fuselage together, glued the wings and the wheels and seats are painted.

HPIM2206.jpg

I'm not happy with the seats, and there's some light filling and sanding needed around the nose/front coaming

HPIM2207.jpg

Onto the 1/48, this is not far behind. Seats need some finishing, the tub is partly built and wheels painted

HPIM2213.jpg

HPIM2209.jpg

I'm really enjoying these 2, even though progress is slow

Chris

Some more work done this afternoon.

Wings and intakes added to 1/72

DSCF0224.jpg

DSCF0225.jpg

I had to use a small amount of filler and have sanded this down. I have also decided to use the chunkier seats and main wheels from a Revell kit I abandoned.

The 1/48 is causing trouble but is coming along.

I have added some (fictitious) detail to the seats and had a go at adding some tape belts. They don't look as bright as they do in the pics (damn macro)

DSCF0226.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

Cockpit has had a bit of colour added, totally made up but I like it.

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

Fuselage has now been glued but needs a bit of fettling to get it fully sealed. Wings also glued together but the fit to the fuselage isn't great and pushes the wingtips down. I'll have a go at sorting this tomorrow.

An up-to-now pic of the two

DSCF0229.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Aye coming along well

Heres what i've got up to today

The odd wing fit on the 1/48 prompted me to cut the wings to drop the flaps. I'm glad i did though.

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

I also sorted the ill-fitting nose

DSCF0238.jpg

I have fitted the pylons and tailplanes and had a test-fit of the canopy. Also checked it on its undercarriage to test the nose weight.

Used a bit of filler after adding the intakes.

DSCF0243.jpg

HPIM2217.jpg

HPIM2214.jpg

Not as much on the 1/72 today but its had it tailplanes, wing fences and the underwing flap things (don't know the proper term) added.

HPIM2215.jpg

HPIM2216.jpg

So far so good

DSCF0245.jpg

Chris

Well I had a disaster when I primed the 1/72, I picked up the wrong one and it has made a mess of it. This has now been put away for the time being and probably wont be completed for the GB.

The 1/48 is now primed up (different primer thank god) and should get a coat of black later

No pics as yet but some will follow

Chris

its a shame hope you can salvage her

I'll take another look at it when I've finished the 1/48.

Tip to remember--Read the label and don't use high build car primer instead of plastic primer. :banghead::doh::raincloud: (and all the other smilies that represent stupidity)

OK after calming down and having my tea, I had another look at my handiwork. Heres the 2 in their primer coats.

HPIM2223.jpg

HPIM2225.jpg

HPIM2224.jpg

I attacked the 1/72 with sanding blocks and buffers to try and sort the thick looking primer coat. I have decided on a change of livery and now have this

DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg

The smoke pod has also been added. It will also need another coat of red and I need to pick an aircraft code

DSCF0345.jpg

The 1/48 has had its coat of gloss black.

DSCF0346.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

The 2 in my custom made drying stand

DSCF0340.jpg

I feel much happier now and will do XX238 another time

Cheers

Chris

I set out to get the decals on the black Hawk done tonight but after after an hour and a half of putting the tiny stencils on, I gave up for the night. I should get it finished tomorrow along with a few touch ups (bar the Sidewinders which still need painting )

1/48 is all decalled up (pics to follow)

The 1/72 is severely testing me (its cursed I swear) I ended up dropping it earlier and it split the seams round the nose, the canopy fell off and the seats fell out. It just doesn't want to be finished.

Its going down as unfinished for now (just as it was the other day)

Chris

Heres the 1/48 all done

DSCF0351.jpg

HPIM2243.jpg

HPIM2242.jpg

HPIM2246.jpg

HPIM2247.jpg

It is a bit shinier than it looks in the pictures, I just can't seem to get a decent picture.

The self destructive 1/72 currently looks like this

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0364.jpg

With some work and a re-paint I'm sure it will be fine. When it gets completed is another thing, think I'll keep it as a filler between other projects but it will get finished.

Cheers

Chris

It's all armed up now and had a further gloss coat. I can call it properly finished

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Happy with how the Sidewinders came out

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

This was my first 1/48 Airfix Hawk and won't be my last (got 5 more) I have learned lots that I will remember with future builds

Cheers

Chris