Blue Hawk XX231

tim dix

Hi

For my next trick, I will be doing XX231, In a sassy little blue number. Cant work out how to do a link, but believe me, its cool.

Anywho, I will have to do it with a combination of decal sheets, as the original one from this box is missing, doh! I think I have all I need, except the white arrow for underneath, its exactly the same as the reds one, so I dont suppose anyone out there in Britland has a spare arrow from the original decal sheet, from this kit that they could let me have, id be very gratefull?

DSCF1210.jpg

Hope your builds are going well

Tim

OK, so tonights efforts have been a little slow, but im quite pleased with them.

I sprayed the 2 sprues with primer, then set out painting the tub and control panels. I decided the ones in the kit are just a bit rubbish, so made some of my own instead, using decals from a sheet, put on some clear acetate, before painting the reverese in grey, and cutting to fit.

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg

Once dry, I stuck them to the tub, trimming so as they would fit under the coaming, when the halves were put together. I also trimmed and made a little map folder tu go behind therear seat.

DSCF1215.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

Thats it for now, When its all dry, I will neaten things up.

Tim

Hi, Today so far...

I realised that I will prob have to drop the flaps, so a little surgery was required. Thanks to all the great ref photos on this GB,and fellow Britmodeller Tony (started your hawk yet,hmmm?) I think I have come up with something that should look roughly right.

I couldnt work out how to cut the flaps without losing too much of the top part of the wing, so I cut anyway, and replaced the bit I lost, with some thin clear plastic sheet. I simply layed a strip of it on the top of another hawks wing, marked ot what was needed, and cut accordingly, then rescribed in the panel lines. It will need tidying up, but I will do that later.

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1228.jpg

DSCF1237.jpg

Cheers

Tim

Hi Guys

well, the sunny weather has seriously hampered efforts over the last few days, but I have got a bit done.

I have tarted up the basic kit seat using stretched sprue, modelling tape for belts and paper foil for seat cusions (I tend not to buy AM sets, as I can never fit resin tubs or seats in, and etch baffles me totally.

DSCF1240.jpg

DSCF1244.jpg

Basic painting started

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1276.jpg

A pic of the seats next to a basic kit one. Just need tidying up a bit really.

The only other thing I have done, is add a few wires to the front coaming, and reshape the aft coaming, to make it look a bit more accurate.

Hope all your builds are going well, they all look great.

Thanks, and Happy Easter.

Tim

Cheers dude.

Quick update, I have put the seats in, started to box the wheel wells in and began spraying the blue. I will rub it down with fine cloth once done, before a final coat, if I can find somewhere that wont allow dust to settle on it (yeah right).

DSCF1278.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1303.jpg

DSCF1304.jpg

Hope your builds are going well.

Tim

Evening

I have finished the main painting, so I thought I would start the decaling. I have had to use a mix of a few sets of decal sheets, but I think I will be able to get most of what I need.

DSCF1396.jpg

DSCF1398.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

Hope your builds are going well :)

Tim

Quick update, I have managed to get the arrow on the bottom, its not quite right but its as close as I think I am going to get it. I will tidy it all up later. I cant make my mind up if to detail the main gear bays or not, its not like you are going to see them, but I know it will enhance the kit. All advice welcome.

DSCF1414.jpg

CHeers

Tim

Evening,

Todays update, I have managed to get the other stripe and roundels on, and detailed the canopy, to add some handles and wires etc. still need to tidy a few areas up, and sort out the wheel wells. I think I am going to add some engine blanks too.

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1431.jpg

DSCF1439.jpg

Cheers guys

Tim

Evening,

I havent had much time recently to do much modelling, but I have managed to attached the flaps, main wheels, and most of the decals. I still need to touch up the arrow, add some little gear doors, stall bars, pitot tubes and all the other bits that I will never find once I have knocked them off.

I have added some rudimentary RBF tags, and restraining sleeves on the gear arms.

Hope you like it

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg

Cheers

Tim

• 1 month later...