A brace of Hawks

My two builds will be:

XX180 of 4FTS in 1979 Linky

XX265 of 151 Sqn (1 TWU) in 1984 Linky

I will be using the following:

001.jpg

The Airfix 1/72 kit. Kuivalainen photoetch and the Xtradecal sheet.

No doubt many people will be using the Airfix kit. It's very nice, even if the panel lines are a little deep. Shouldn't be too difficult to sort.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

The photoetch is credited to Kuivalainen and is intended for a Finnish Hawk Mk51. It is clearly produced by Eduard but is a couple of quid cheaper than the corresponding Eduard set. :)

005.jpg

Are 21 and 22 the ID plates for the landing gear?

They fit on the side of the ejection seat headboxes.

Here is a link to the equivalent Eduard set SS354. The only difference I can see between the Eduard and Kuivalainen set is that Eduard's is self adhesive.

There are a lot of parts for the ejection seats. Normally I would just buy a resin seat, but I think it will be great fun - not to mention a challenge - dressing up the Airfix seats with this PE.

My main concern is that the trainer should really have the early headboxes. Not too sure what to do about that. Any suggestions, anyone?

They fit on the side of the ejection seat headboxes.

Here is a link to the equivalent Eduard set SS354. The only difference I can see between the Eduard and Kuivalainen set is that Eduard's is self adhesive.

There are a lot of parts for the ejection seats. Normally I would just buy a resin seat, but I think it will be great fun - not to mention a challenge - dressing up the Airfix seats with this PE.

My main concern is that the trainer should really have the early headboxes. Not too sure what to do about that. Any suggestions, anyone?

I've got a brace of Aeroclub white metal seats withe the early headbox for mine, they were one of the early sets of seats John did IIRC, unfortunately they're not in their original bag so I don't know the catalogue number.

They've got the seat belts moulded on but I too plan to use the Kuivalainen set for mine so I was thinking of grinding the moulded belts off and using the etched ones instead.

Contact John Aero by PM to see if he can help you out.

Wez

• 4 weeks later...

Time to post some progress. The following photos are of the red and white version. The camouflaged version is identical so I won't show it until I get round to painting it.

First step is to get rid of the forward instrument panel shroud. This will be replaced by a PE part.

006.jpg

I will be dropping the flaps, so I cut the from the wing uppersurface.

007.jpg

The plastic instrument panels are cut down drastically. They are only there to provide a structure for the PE panels.

008.jpg

Cockpit interior sorted an nose gear bay painted white.

009.jpg

And the fuselage is now together.

010.jpg

A length of plastic strip was applied to the forward edge of the flap and the whole thing was sanded to an aerofoil section. The miniature flap will be represented by a piece of plastic card which is scored along the hinge line, bent to shap and then secured by running liquid cement along the bend line.

011.jpg

Intake parts

012.jpg

The flap actuators. To mke sure that they ar not too flimsy, I cut halfway along the split and then carefully bent the rear portion down. They were secured in place by putting a tiny drop of liquid cement on the pivot point and letting them set into the new position.

013.jpg

Main assembly amost complete. The intakes needed a lot of sanding to get them to fair in properly.

014.jpg

The cockpit with PE cockpit coamings applied. Looking at the photo I can see that the front instrument panel is misaligned. The photo is bigger than life size, s it's not really noticeable on the model! :D

015.jpg

Primed ready fo painting

016.jpg

First coat of white applied - Tamiya X-2 which seems to cover bette than any other white I have used.

017.jpg

looking good mate

Thanks. I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying these Airfix Hawks. I can see a few more crossing my workbench in the future. I just hope the dropped flaps turn out as I expect! :D

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted an update. There's so much going on that these two got a bit stalled, but thy're moving again now and there's sill plenty of time.

Anyway, here's the trainer Hawk. It needs a lot of touch-ups at the moment.

018.jpg

I was a bit concerned about the red - Xtracrylix XA1014 Red Arrows Red. It smply didn't look rght until I took it into natural light. Howevr, I think I'm going to stick with it.