Colonial Contribution, CT155213 419Sqn Cold Lake

Flyboy72nd

Great I hope I don't disappoint you; here's my work to date;

HawkGB-1.jpg

I'm not going too nuts on interior detail since I think I will have the canopy closed, got the ACMI pod from the Hasegawa weapons set and have now realized the launch rails are the wrong ones for the wing tips, doh!!

Here's my latest progress;

Added a bit of detail to the missile rails;

HawkGB.jpg

thinned the front instrument panel shroud;

HawkGBcoaming.jpg

added a secret Canadian weapons system called LEAD Shot (Low Energy Aircraft Defense Shot);

HawkGBlead.jpg

got fuse glued together, now working on main wings.

HawkGBfuse.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When I had a look at the part Airfix wants us to use for the jet exhaust I chuckled, "That's way too small!!"

It measures only 9" across at the opening and although I have never checked, I'm pretty sure the Hawk jet pipe is bigger than that!! So I decided to get a piece of aluminum (aluminium if you prefer) tube to replace Airfix's effort. I used aluminum since it is easy to cut and shape. The size I figured I needed was 3/16" but the LHS was out of it so I went a tad bigger at 7/32" and this turned out perfectly! It measures 12 - 13" across at the opening. I managed to find a pic looking directly at the pipe on a Hawk and this size looked good as a replacement.

Here is a shot of it roughed in place;

Hawkgbjetpipe-1.jpg

This pic shows the components;L - R, the plastic tube (Evergreen 3/16") gets glued into the bulkhead installed at the back of the wing opening, the aluminum tube cut to just fit outside the end of the jet a bit, the bulkhead installed in the model to mount the other two pieces.

Using a fine razor saw I cut the opening at the back of the wing joint and filed away the plastic lip at the back to the lower wing piece, pic later.

If you look at the model you can see bulkhead Mk II installed already, this one made from .040 thou plasti-card instead of the .030 of the master. I have already tested placing the plastic pipe into the bulkhead and I can insert the aluminum tube over it later once the kit is painted.

Hawkgbhotend-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Here is the latest; I have got the plastic tube for the jet pipe glued in place the pics show some final detailing and the part never to be seen!?

HawkGBjetpipe.jpg

HawkGBjetpipefrnt.jpg

Now I have never found the shallow wheel wells on most kits to be good so in a lot of cases I try to deepen them to look more like the real thing.

Here's how that has work out on the Hawk, I'll be buying the new CMK sets when they arrive this is a pain!!!

Here are views of that work;

HawkGBmaingearwells.jpg

HawkGBgearwells.jpg

HawkGBgearwells-2.jpg

HawkGBgearwells-1.jpg

And to go along with this I just had to open up the intakes????

I glued a strip of plastic to the bottom of the intakes to cover the area taken up by the wheel wells.

This is the view prior to painting;

HawkGBintakes.jpg

Now big question to the Hawk 100 experts - What colour are the insides of the intakes??

Doing the final bits of fix up here and there;

want the airbrake drooping a little 'coz the retracted kit version doesn't fit all that well and I don't want to fiddle with it!!

HawkGBairbrake.jpg

intakes done as best as possible and painted along with the interior, wings glued on and top of fuse;

HawkGBintakeview.jpg

main gear deepening looks OK but should have done wing portion of wells?!?!??

HawkGBbottview.jpg

added the white piece of plasticard to the 'pit since there is a big hole there, and I don't think the real bird has that!!

HawkGBfrntpit.jpg

It's pretty well ready for painting so the next shots should show some blue, plus while the paint is drying I will do up the seats and have a go at the det cord in the canopy.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the big piece is painted so now to do up the seats and gear and wait for my metal pitot tube and she's about ready to go!!

As an aside we (Canadian Forces) lost a Hawk up in Cold Lake, seems there was a bump from the engine and after a bit of analysis the pilots decided it was time to join the Silkworm Club, both landed safely. Wondering what the tail # is to see if I haven't built the bird??

HawkGBpainted.jpg

Working on the seats;

HawkGBseats.jpg

This is the stuff I used to get the flaw out of the front windscreen;

HawkGBcutting.jpg

This is what I use to take the factory orange peel off my show car!!

HawkGBwaxfrnt.jpg

This stuff is great for the final polish after removing seam lines from clear parts!!

Thanks Mark and you other chaps who have been watching this build!

OK decals are all on;

HawkGBdecalsdone.jpg

alright you got me the canopy's not painted so I have 2 more to apply, sheesh you guys are a tough audience!!

The canopy after painting the det cord (enamel);

HawkGBpainted-1.jpg

Now wet sanded with this stuff;

HawkGBsandpaper.jpg

HawkGBsanded.jpg

And finally polished with the wax from the above post;

HawkGBpolished.jpg

So just got to paint the canopy, add it's decals, finish detailing the landing gear, finish painting the wheels and slap it all together.

I'm a bit disappointed with Airfix, the landing light is on the wrong nose gear door and they did not include the nav lights on the intakes??????

Thanks it worked very well, and kudos to Airfix for making the det cord recessed in the canopy. Another chap here or on another forum, I've forgotten where sorry, mentioned this is how he did his and many thanks to him, great suggestion!!

• 1 month later...

Work is progressing slowly, we are having a heat wave here in the colonies, and I hate working on a kit with sweat dripping on the model!!!

Finally figured out how to have the canopy open and look somewhat correct;

HawkGBcanopyplus.jpg

The strip to the right of the canopy is .002" shim brass, bent to about 90 degrees and I will crazy glue it to the bottom of the canopy rail then glue said assembly to the jet.

Ejection seats, I think I am going overboard in the detail dept.!?!?!?

HawkGBseat.jpg

The jet has it's legs now;

HawkGBongear.jpg

HawkGBunder.jpg

Got the pitot tube and will install it when chances of bending it are reduced;

HawkGBpitot.jpg

I'm sure I see the finish line, hmm, that could just be a crack in the floor........

This is interesting. I built one from a combination of new and old tool Airfix kits. I found that, apart from the too small jet exhaust, the undercarriage wheel bay openings and doors are a bit too small and don't look right in shape so I used the lower wing half from the old tool and adapted the new parts with a bit of blending etc. Also below the rear fuselage on one side there is a long narrow fairing that needs to be added on CT-155s. I used Leading Edge decals to finish.

Admittedly I didn't know of the ACMI pod and so omittted any stores but if I can locate appropriate ordnance I'll fit them on.

I'll post up images of the work carried out on mine soon to help illustrate the work I did a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...