XX343 Empire Test Pilot's School 1:32

Iain Ogilvie

Cheers Speedy - does that apply to the earlier scheme with the all red back end?

Anyhoo - not ordered decals yet as awaiting clearance to build the 4 FTS Anniversary scheme - but...

Spent an hour this evening getting some basics together - amazing how fast things come together when you've already built one!

Like the 100 Sqn. bird - this will be pretty much kit bar a few minor tweaks + flaps. Canopy will be closed.

re2005196.JPG

re2005197.JPG

re2005198.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

That's not the problem - I got mine pretty flat - and used MicroSol - but still shows as imperfection due to the film.

I have a cunning plan using the kit decals which may, or may not, work. I want to try it and see before I reveal - in case I end up with a wrecked canopy 'cos it didn't work (and possibly have others try it out and wreck theirs!!)

Will report back - prolly at weekend.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Cheers Speedy - does that apply to the earlier scheme with the all red back end?

Iain

Yup in all the scheme they are white. Brian (MODeller) and me have tried to tell them and others but they didn't take notice.

Steve.

Colours - currently thinking along lines of Oxford Blue and Signal Red from Humbrol range?

Or maybe even Xtracolour (although I've never got on with these before - seemed to take forever to dry).

Seriously thinking of going back to enamels for the gloss finish...

Iain

If using enamels, Humbrol 114 Signal Red (satin) is a good choice and I have found Humbrol 25 Blue (matt) to be a pretty good match for Roundel Blue. The only problem is it dries to a satin/matt finish though this won't be a problem if you apply a gloss topcoat.

If using Xtracolor I have found it's best to use their own thinner. I've managed to obtain the best results by using their XDTT quick drying thinners which dries quickly to a nice sheen.

Happy Easter,

Sean

Edited by Sundown

Spent a few hours on her today - having built already this one has come together with lightning speed:

Canopy has been dipped in Quick Shine - still not tried my cunning plan for MDC - maybe tomorrow...

re2005203.JPG

re2005204.JPG

And just to prove I'm not cheating - here she is with the last one :)

re2005205.JPG

May have to crack open another tomorrow and get those decals ordered from the big H...

Iain

This is the scheme (sister airframe XX342)

5178785535_a6ec901c1e_z.jpg

I love this scheme...

But there are a few gotchas:

XX343 appears to have the old (thinner) windshield - 342 above the later thicker one - and the early ejection seat headboxes.

May change to XX342...

<wanders off to find pix>

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Wow fast work, you'll be done by the end of the week. :winkgrin:

On my build I've filed the intakes openings a bit rounder, looks a bit better with little effort.

Keep up the lightning speed.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun