Saturn V Skylab

Saturn V Skylab

1:144 Airfix (A11150)

Photo0153.jpg

Airfix are, arguably, the most famous name in plastic kits – certainly in Britain. Since the 1950s, they have released a huge number of kits of all subjects, including the mighty Saturn V rocket that launched the Apollo 11 mission to land on the moon. This kit is a revision of the original Saturn V from 1969, but with new parts to create the rocket that placed Skylab, the first US space station, into orbit on 14th May 1973.

The launch did not go without a hitch, however. The meteoroid shield protecting the station was torn off during the launch, removing one of the station’s two solar panels, and jamming the other. Without these, the station was powerless. However, the first manned mission to the station, launched on the 25th of May under the command of moon-walker Pete Conrad, successfully freed the jammed solar panel (during a particularly dangerous spacewalk), and installed a sun-shade to protect the station from the sun’s rays, which had already blistered the exterior paint and raised the interior temperature to unacceptable levels.

Thanks to the efforts of veteran Conrad, and spaceflight rookies Paul Weitz and Joseph Kerwin, Skylab survived in orbit until 1979, when its orbit degraded and forced NASA to bring it down. The debris from the station did not all land in the Pacific as intended, though, some large parts landing in Australia.

Saturn V was the largest successful rocket built; its first stage alone developed 3,400 tonnes of thrust, and each of the five F-1 engines burnt almost 136 tonnes of propellant every second. This particular version, with the Skylab installed as the third stage, stood 334 feet tall. In all respects, Saturn V is a monster, and the Airfix model (in 1/144 scale) is large and impressive.

Photo0157.jpg

Kit no. A11150, packed in a lid-and-tray type box, with a colourful painting of the vehicle blasting off on the lid, comprises 51 parts moulded in white plastic, including the display stand. There are also a number of spare parts intended for the Apollo 11 version, so you will have a complete Apollo third stage for your spares box, including Lunar, Command and Service modules. The parts are cleanly moulded, and although there is some slight flash on one or two parts, it will clean up easily. The quality of the original parts closely matches that of the newly-tooled Skylab components, and the older pieces do not give the impression of being over 40 years old.

Photo0159.jpg

The completed model (according to the box) will stand 760mm tall, which is pretty big, and taller than any other real rocket in this scale.

I dry-fitted a few of the larger parts, and fit overall is very good. Some years ago, I understand, the model was converted to snap-fit assembly, so the parts I test-fitted held together of their own accord. Airfix list this model on the box as skill level 3. Airfix skill levels range from 1 (easy) to 4 (the hardest), so this is towards the more complicated end of the range – however, I see nothing particularly fiddly about this, and it should be well within the grasp of most with a few kits’ worth of experience under their belts.

The model is designed to be built as a series of sub-assemblies (S-IC or first stage, S-II or second stage, and the adapted SIVB stage, which is actually the Skylab station itself). These stages can then be slotted together, and easily taken apart to show off the hidden details, such as the rocket motors for each stage.

The instructions are the pictographic type, with a front page in five languages giving a brief history of the Skylab mission. There follows a page of assembly instructions in 12 languages, then 12 clearly drawn black and white assembly stages (plus another three for the optional base), and a painting and decal placement diagram in colour.

Photo0156.jpg

The decal sheet is well printed, and includes two large black and white decals for the Skylab (third) stage, as these would require some complicated masking in order to paint. Airfix decals have certainly much improved since the Hornby takeover.

Conclusion

I think Airfix have done a very good job updating an old favourite in order to create a new and distinctive version, and this has taken first place in my queue of models to build. Thoroughly recommended, it will make a very eye-catching display piece.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

• Like 1

You should both get one - either this or the Apollo 11 version. They may seem a bit pricey, but there is a lot of kit for your money, and it's still the best Saturn V in 1/144, according to those who know (i.e. not me!).