Early RAF Hawk Questions

Wez

All,

I'm planning on doing XX196/111 from 234Sqn/1TWU at Brawdy in 1978 from Modeldecal Sheet 50 as seen here Link to Air Britain Website and I've got a couple of questions.

The first is regarding the anti-collision lights, I can make out the upper anti-col' light behind the canopy, was there a lower one and if so where was it?

Secondly, Aeroguide No.1 on the Hawk page 11 shows a target towing connector box situated on the port, lower fuselage adjacent to the trestle stencils/tail bumper. Unfortunately, this area is in shadow on the linked photo so I can't make out whether it was fitted on this particular Hawk at the time of the photo. Was this standard equipment on TWU hawks? If so was it fitted from build or introduced as a mod later in the Hawk's life - if so when (it can't be too much later 'cos the photo's for the Aeroguide were taken in 1982)?

What do you know Hawk aficionado's?

Wez

MODS this was meant to be in the Links and Reference's thread - I've biffed up somehow, any chance of moving it? :sorry: (Wez being all apologetic 'cos it was he that asked for this sort of question to be in that thread in the first place :doh: )

Edited by Wez

Lower anti-col light is located just in front of the airbrake.

Cant give you a time line for the target towing equipment. When I was stationed at Brawdy (81 - 84) there were only a few Hawks fitted for Target towing, so it was in use then

Lower anti-col light is located just in front of the airbrake.

Cant give you a time line for the target towing equipment. When I was stationed at Brawdy (81 - 84) there were only a few Hawks fitted for Target towing, so it was in use then

Smeds,

Thanks, so it looks like I could leave the target towing connector off of mine and get away with it! Was the lower anti-col' on the centreline and also a simple dome like the upper one?

Wez

Smeds,

Thanks, so it looks like I could leave the target towing connector off of mine and get away with it! Was the lower anti-col' on the centreline and also a simple dome like the upper one?

Wez

As Smed's said, only a hand full of TWU Hawks had the tow bracket fitted.

The early anti smash lights were domes, the later pointed ones came when HISL (High Intensity Strobe Lights) were ordered to be fitted after a spate of low level aircraft collisions.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

The first is regarding the anti-collision lights, I can make out the upper anti-col' light behind the canopy, was there a lower one and if so where was it?

Secondly, Aeroguide No.1 on the Hawk page 11 shows a target towing connector box situated on the port, lower fuselage adjacent to the trestle stencils/tail bumper. Unfortunately, this area is in shadow on the linked photo so I can't make out whether it was fitted on this particular Hawk at the time of the photo.

Wez, the anti-col light shows up in the Aeroguide at the bottom of page 3. You can just see it at the front of the airbrake strake.

It seems to me that your chosen Hawk didn't have the target towing box in that picture. Although the area is in shadow, the trestle stencil is fully visible but judging by the Aeroguide picture it would have been partially covered by the box if it were fitted.

Phil

Wez, the anti-col light shows up in the Aeroguide at the bottom of page 3. You can just see it at the front of the airbrake strake.

It seems to me that your chosen Hawk didn't have the target towing box in that picture. Although the area is in shadow, the trestle stencil is fully visible but judging by the Aeroguide picture it would have been partially covered by the box if it were fitted.

Phil

Got it!

Thanks Phil, I'd come to a similar conclusion regarding the target towing box myself - although stencils aren't always as precisely placed as they should be :hmmm: , I think you're spot on in this case!

Regards

Wez