Luftwaffe Tornado MW1 container

jacksdad

Does anyone out there have any decent pictures of the MW1 container that was carried on Luftwaffe Tornado's? There is very little I have found so far on the interweb and I could do with some decent close-up's.

Thank you, in advance.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

They are certainly better than what I have. All I need now is a nice shot of the top. In saying that, these are the first ones I have seen of the MW1 with plain sides. Anyone know what that's all about?

Steve

Yes, along with the two cans. :speak_cool:

It's the small details that count!

As has already been said, I was sure the MW-1 was a side ejector system, so finding out about the blanks was news to me.

Juilen,

Thanks for posting those.

I've seen the 1st one before, but the other 2 are new to me. Don't think that anyonw has kitted the MW-1 in 1/48 ?

Regards,

Gerard

Hobby Boss IDS kit.

seen the pics before, but they are not clear enough.

I am thinking of doing one in resin, along with Brimstone carriers (both in 1/32). Thats why I need clear pics.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Hobby Boss IDS kit.

seen the pics before, but they are not clear enough.

I am thinking of doing one in resin, along with Brimstone carriers (both in 1/32). Thats why I need clear pics.

Steve

Wasn't there a Mehrzweckwaffe-1 included in the old original Revell 1/32 GR.1 Tornado?

Andy

Found this on a site.

MW-1 submunition system

Notes: This versatile weapon can be carried by the Tornado, F-104G Starfighter, and F-4 Phantom. It became operational in 1984. Currently only the Tornado uses it. It dispenses a variety of weapons:

The 1lb KB44; a small weapon is designed to pierce the tops of tank turrets and destroy by sheer numbers. Each MW-1 can dispense 4,704.

The 7.5lb MIFF anti-tank mine. Each MW-1 can dispense 872.

The 9.25lb MUSA bomb; a simple small iron bomb. Each MW-1 can dispense 672.

The 9.25lb MPSUA; similar to MUSA but with a time-delayed fuse. Each MW-1 can dispense 672.

The 37.5lb STABO anti-runway bomblet. Each MW-1 can dispense 224.

The 37.5 A-SW which has a small rocket booster and is designed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and bunkers. Each MW-1 can dispense 224.

The payloads are explosively ejected and the entire MW-1 can be emptied in under a second. The USAF briefly evaluated the type on an A-10 attack jet, but nothing came of this.

If you knew who built them you can always email them and see what you get back.

Steve

Edited by worm

If you knew who built them you can always email them and see what you get back.

Steve

It was originally Raketen Technik GmbH, a subsidiary company of MBB, and Diehl (who make the IRIS-T for example). MBB was later bought over by DASA who are now part of EADS.

HTH

Andy

Edited by andym

It was originally Raketen Technik GmbH, a subsidiary company of MBB, and Diehl (who make the IRIS-T for example). MBB was later bought over by DASA who are now part of EADS.

HTH

Andy

Thanks. I am not sure if it would be worth getting in touch with them. I think I have enough info for my needs. Although it would be nice to get a few more clear close-ups, I think I can manage.

As a matter of interest, if I was to make them would anyone be interested? I am thinking of making the MW1 and the Brimstone carriers (two front and two rear, as they are slightly different)

Steve

As a matter of interest, if I was to make them would anyone be interested? I am thinking of making the MW1 and the Brimstone carriers (two front and two rear, as they are slightly different)

Steve

Steve, as the MW1 is not a typical RAF tornado load, I'd guess that this would be more interesting in Germany and Italy. I can help with getting in touch with some italian modellers if you want to enquire there. Can't help with german ones though.

• 2 weeks later...
Well if you produce a F2-F3 conversion kit in 1/32 count me in!

cheers Bob

Thanks Bob. I'll be posting the work on here so keep your eyes peeled. I'll be having a go at the MW1 first, as that seems the easiest. Then it will be the Brimstone containers and I am thinking of doing fod covered intakes and exhausts, but we'll see.

Steve

Thats a pretty mean looking bit of kit..

I looked it up on Youtube and found this video clip...

not sure if its any help but in one of the comments the size is mentioned..

HTH

Tony

• 3 weeks later...