SdKfz.165 Hummel (late)

smuts

Hi guys,

now the Nam GB's coming to a close & my other GB builds been beaten into submission I've started this one from Dragon the new/retooled Hummel..

100_0675.jpg

Hull built up & suspension...

100_0673.jpg

100_0674.jpg

ready for the first coat of Tamiya dk yellow ( enamel)..

Andy :frantic:

Hi guys,

running gear /road wheels fitted now & tracks made up held in place with bluetac while they dry to keep the sag, word of advice don't fit the forward fenders before doing the tracks as you won't get the track on with em fitted!

100_0678.jpg

100_0677.jpg

tracks off ready for AV German track primer....

100_0681.jpg

How does it compare to the Tamiya kit?

Hi, don't think Tamiya do a Hummel they do Marders they are good but not in the same legue as the new Dragon marders, AFV do a new Hornisse same as Dragon but I've seen em both & Dragons leaves it way behind..

Hi guys,

more work on the fighting compartment done & started to begin weathering with hull red(primer) & silver chips...

100_0705-1.jpg

100_0706-1.jpg

gun built up & weathered (hull red/smoke)..the sheild is a real pain fit wise as the instructions are typical Dragon vague at best :chair:....

100_0707.jpg

glad I found Tony Watts great build over on MM for this one....

Andy

Hi guys, gun mounted on chassis ...

100_0710.jpg

front gun shields...note deflectors are in the wrong place ...thanks Dragon they should be towards the edge! dragon do show em in the correct place further on :shithappens:

100_0711.jpg

test fit of the shields best to remove tabs to get a good fit..

100_0712.jpg

gotta love dragon best armour out there with the worst instructions (IMHO)...

Hi guys,

front shields are on & a mist coat on to spot any floors...

100_0717.jpg

starting to dress up the fighting compartment with crew gear now..

100_0715.jpg

100_0716.jpg

That's a bit of a big gun there Andy - what's the calibre? :S

Hi Mike, its a 150 mm gun strange name bumble bee for a beast like this...

Andy

Hi, Firstly great model!

Something along the line of a mild criticism, these guns/vehicles were treated like loved children, depending on the finish you are after the gun and its carriage would be pristine, even for a fairly old gun, peoples lives relied upon the fault-free functioning of the gun. You've got the colour of the breech block and ring, particularly the ring had the inner surfaces polished to a high lustre to aid loading ammunition in conditions of poor/no light. Ergo you could have a vehicle where the mud and glower could be to the top of the superstructure, the woking ares might be muddy, but the gun would be pristine. Another thing is rust inside the fighting compartment, this wouldn't be tolerated and any rust spots/areas would be dealth with during lulls in activities. Rust not dealt with could get onto projectiles/cases and there onward into the barrel and cause undue wear and tear another no-no.

Hope this helps and keep going.

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments ...

Hi, Firstly great model!

Something along the line of a mild criticism, these guns/vehicles were treated like loved children, depending on the finish you are after the gun and its carriage would be pristine, even for a fairly old gun, peoples lives relied upon the fault-free functioning of the gun. You've got the colour of the breech block and ring, particularly the ring had the inner surfaces polished to a high lustre to aid loading ammunition in conditions of poor/no light. Ergo you could have a vehicle where the mud and glower could be to the top of the superstructure, the woking ares might be muddy, but the gun would be pristine. Another thing is rust inside the fighting compartment, this wouldn't be tolerated and any rust spots/areas would be dealth with during lulls in activities. Rust not dealt with could get onto projectiles/cases and there onward into the barrel and cause undue wear and tear another no-no.

Hope this helps and keep going.

Hi Mick,

no worries on the criticism...the fighting compartments reddish colour is the base red primer not rust, I have got a few bare metal scrapes on the floor just to show hard ware & tare from the crews hob nails that'll have toned down with the weathering, gun breech is testors chrome silver ( the mutts nuts) with the ring being GWS chain mail I Have run some very very thinned Tamiya smoke down the slides though.

it looks darker & dirtier on the pics then it is...

BTW anyone know what colour the grenade cases were?

Thanks guys :frantic:

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments ...

Hi Mick,

BTW anyone know what colour the grenade cases were?

Thanks guys :frantic:

Explain..... Would you be meaning grenades as in throwing or grenades as in German Arty shells?

If it was the briefcase type box, they were field gray pretty much all through the war, although I've seen some the same yellow as AFV base yellow.

HeavyStuf.jpg

Something to give you ideas, Tank/Anti-Tank ammo is my thing and some are post-war coatings to protect the ammo and are awaiting being preserved, but most are original paintwork so will hopfully be a good reference for you.