Academy Hunter

Paul Bradley

Paul

It is my understanding that the intakes are wrong as well. Overall the kit is a dog but with about $100.00 USD in aftermarket you can make an award winner. I had one with the Aires and Flightpath? full meal deals once...........

I think you are in for a lot of work for an accurate Hunter. Maybe you need a good walkaround?? Where can two adventureous Arizona residents find a Hunter now?? :)

Mike

Paul

It is my understanding that the intakes are wrong as well. Overall the kit is a dog but with about $100.00 USD in aftermarket you can make an award winner. I had one with the Aires and Flightpath? full meal deals once...........

I think you are in for a lot of work for an accurate Hunter. Maybe you need a good walkaround?? Where can two adventureous Arizona residents find a Hunter now?? :)

Mike

Ouch! Its that bad??

I just acquired the Academy FGA.9. So, aside from the undersized 'pit, the undersized wheels, the incorrect jet pipe and the awkward wing/fuselage join, what are the probs with this kit?

Okay, in addition to that little lot... The tailplane and bullet is to far back, the wing tips are the wrong shape, the wheel well bay's are in the wrong place and the undercarriage doors are too small.....AND I've been looking at one of my Hunters and I think that the nose is a bit too rounded....Not noticed problems with the intakes - I'll have to have another look...and the decals are pretty crap! The RAF roundels are in the wrong proportions, the red's too dark and the serial's are in the wrong font and size!!! The 230 gallon tanks (in the FGA9 kit) are okay - but lack detail the 100 gallon tanks are okay, but the RP's are wrong for an in service machine and the bombs are too big. The canopy should be longer....

BUT....It's the only game in town in 1/48th and looks fairly decent when built, All you really need to correct either the FGA9 or F6 is the Aeroclub correction set, it repairs most of the above faults AND you get small bore and large bore tail units..AND correctly sized wheels. You can also add a resin tub - from Aires, Neomega, etc., AND you'll need a decent set of decals!

Don't let me put you off though Paul....... :evil_laugh:

fga92.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Okay, in addition to that little lot... The tailplane and bullet is to far back, the wing tips are the wrong shape, the wheel well bay's are in the wrong place and the undercarriage doors are too small.....AND I've been looking at one of my Hunters and I think that the nose is a bit too rounded....Not noticed problems with the intakes - I'll have to have another look...and the decals are pretty crap! The RAF roundels are in the wrong proportions, the red's too dark and the serial's are in the wrong font and size!!! The 230 gallon tanks (in the FGA9 kit) are okay - but lack detail the 100 gallon tanks are okay, but the RP's are wrong for an in service machine and the bombs are too big. The canopy should be longer....

BUT....It's the only game in town in 1/48th and looks fairly decent when built, All you really need to correct either the FGA9 or F6 is the Aeroclub correction set, it repairs most of the above faults AND you get small bore and large bore tail units..AND correctly sized wheels. You can also add a resin tub - from Aires, Neomega, etc., AND you'll need a decent set of decals!

Don't let me put you off though Paul....... :evil_laugh:

I hadnt seen the Aeroclub correction!! Hhhhhhhhmmmmmm may have to get another Hunter!! Thanks Bill.

Mike

I hadnt seen the Aeroclub correction!! Hhhhhhhhmmmmmm may have to get another Hunter!! Thanks Bill.

Mike

Hiya Mike, Here's a picture of the set...

000_0669.jpg

This is my second (or third?) set now! Aeroclub issue the undercarriage parts seperately, so in conjunction with a few resin cockpits, have managed to build my fleet of Hunters - and enjoyed myself... no, I have really!!!! BUT.... wouldn't it be luverlee if Revell downsized their 1/32nd kit!! :please:

Hiya Mike, Here's a picture of the set...

000_0669.jpg

This is my second (or third?) set now! Aeroclub issue the undercarriage parts seperately, so in conjunction with a few resin cockpits, have managed to build my fleet of Hunters - and enjoyed myself... no, I have really!!!! BUT.... wouldn't it be luverlee if Revell downsized their 1/32nd kit!! :please:

Bill

Now that is a nice little set. Looks like John at Aeroclub will be getting more money from me! Funny how Revell have done such a bang up 1/32 one and now a 1/72 kit right?? So.......for once its us 1/48 guys being ignored :(

I would LOVE a good 1/48 Hunter family.

See this is nice. Aeroclub set and Academy kit - that works.

What I want to know is doesnt Academy usually do better. Dont they know you can actually visit England and see REAL hunters?

Where can two adventureous Arizona residents find a Hunter now?? :)

Mike

There is this place called Pima...

Pretty soon you can add a Shackleton to the list as well. Who would have thought you could find a Hunter, Gannet, Gnat, Hurricane, and Shackleton in the Arizona desert...

Jim

Hmm, I've also got an FGA9 to build with an Aeroclub T7 conversion nose (and new wheels), thus avoiding the rather blunt shape of the kit's single seat nose which Bill mentions.

I'm still not sure about this business concerning the mis-placed main wheel bays. I've read loads of comments about this ever since the kit first appeared, but when I've looked at photos, they don't seem to be all that bad?

Ok...resident Yank here....

For me the two boo-boos on the Academy Hunter that lept out at me were the too small ejector seat/cockpit, and the wheels. Now I don't know why the wheels looked off to me when I built it a few years ago but they did and the seat mostly because it doesn't fill up the canopy like the real ones do. I built it before I even found Quarter Scale Modeler and began to learn of the errors, most of which I can live with. Squadron/True Details used to do a resin cockpit for under $10 USD but it's been OOP for a long time now, I used it on my second one. The kit, AS A KIT, is beautiful, the plastic is good the detail is good. The only glitch that I learned the hard way of, are the wings. You have to put the intakes into the fuselage before you close it up and then install the wings over them and that throws some builds off. The solution that is said to work is to glue the respective wing to the fuselage and then close up the fuselage around the intakes. That way the important seam, wing to fuselage is perfect and you can tweak the lesser one (in my mind) intakes to get the fuselage to close up and look good. I plan on using that approach when I can find one cheap again, maybe at the local show in February

As for a new one I remember the excitement I had last year for a moment when the RoG ad on the back of SAMI said a 48th Scale Hunter instead of the proper 72nd scale for the new release. Well maybe this year, we have Nurnburg coming up for Revell Germany and the Toy Fair in January for that other company

As for a new one I remember the excitement I had last year for a moment when the RoG ad on the back of SAMI said a 48th Scale Hunter instead of the proper 72nd scale for the new release. Well maybe this year, we have Nurnburg coming up for Revell Germany and the Toy Fair in January for that other company

That would just be bloody typical.......! :shocked:

Cheers, Matt; useful stuff. :)

Shack, eh?? Pray elucidate!

WL790 has been living in Midland Texas with the CAF, though it is still owned by Air Atlantique in the UK. It flew a few times, but mostly sat around. Well Air Atlantique worked out a deal with Pima and it will be put on display their. The plan it to fly it from Midland to DM by ferry permit in mid December then tow it across to the Museum.

Jim

WL790 has been living in Midland Texas with the CAF, though it is still owned by Air Atlantique in the UK. It flew a few times, but mostly sat around. Well Air Atlantique worked out a deal with Pima and it will be put on display their. The plan it to fly it from Midland to DM by ferry permit in mid December then tow it across to the Museum.

Jim

Cool! It should be there in time for Mike and I to see it! Please keep me updated, Jim.

Ok...resident Yank here....

For me the two boo-boos on the Academy Hunter that lept out at me were the too small ejector seat/cockpit, and the wheels. Now I don't know why the wheels looked off to me when I built it a few years ago but they did and the seat mostly because it doesn't fill up the canopy like the real ones do. I built it before I even found Quarter Scale Modeler and began to learn of the errors, most of which I can live with. Squadron/True Details used to do a resin cockpit for under $10 USD but it's been OOP for a long time now, I used it on my second one. The kit, AS A KIT, is beautiful, the plastic is good the detail is good. The only glitch that I learned the hard way of, are the wings. You have to put the intakes into the fuselage before you close it up and then install the wings over them and that throws some builds off. The solution that is said to work is to glue the respective wing to the fuselage and then close up the fuselage around the intakes. That way the important seam, wing to fuselage is perfect and you can tweak the lesser one (in my mind) intakes to get the fuselage to close up and look good. I plan on using that approach when I can find one cheap again, maybe at the local show in February

Okay, my head is a little rattled, here. Can you dumb this down for me?

Specifically, get the kit - I got that much. Now, what details should I be hunting around for? Wheels? Cockpit sets?

See this is nice. Aeroclub set and Academy kit - that works.

What I want to know is doesnt Academy usually do better. Dont they know you can actually visit England and see REAL hunters?

That, unfortunately, is down to someone in IPMS(UK.) Al asked for drawings, and he was sent a GA drawing, about 1/288th scale (if it was to scale,) and everything went pear-shaped, from there. Same thing happened with the Spitfire XIVs; he never asked again (can't think why.)

There's another small problem, which everyone misses; the extended leading edges don't droop, and they should. The upper surface continues the curvature, of the wing, right through to the tip of the l/e. This means that the underside has a double curvature, as the wing surface rises towards where the l/e had been, then dives down again to the new position.

Edgar

It seems to be the sort of kit where there are lots of vague inaccuracies, but nothing really horrible, apart from the rather blunt nose and the small main wheels. Problem is, if you started correcting all the minor faults, it wouldn't be worth the effort - I mean, where would you stop?!

The point that often interests me is the saga of the main wheel wells, which many people have identified as being wrongly positioned. But from all the comparisons with photos I've made, they don't look all that bad, and certainly not bad enough to warrant moving them.

I guess the question is what the most glaring errors are which really couldn't be overlooked? Any thoughts?

I guess the question is what the most glaring errors are which really couldn't be overlooked? Any thoughts?

And what might be the better altrenative in 1/72 scale?

Indeed, I think Revell have pretty-much answered our prayers for decent Hunters in 144, 72 and 32nd scale, so the 48th scale version is the only one missing now - hope someone with some influence reminds Revell of this point!

Then all I will be moaning about is how long it takes for Revell to re-issue any of them as T7's !!