Italeri Crusader Mk II

James G

Hi all,

I wanted to pick the collective BM brain again...

I am engaged in a little armour diorama side project which will feature a 1/35 Crusader II. The Italeri instructions call out for the tracks to be painted white, is this correct?

Also, more generally I wanted to add some paint chips/wear and tear to the model, can anyone tell me what colour primer was used on this tank (or was it bare metal underneath the sand colour?)

Thanks in advance, will try to get some diorama 'in progress' shots up soon.

Thanks

James

Hi all,

I wanted to pick the collective BM brain again...

I am engaged in a little armour diorama side project which will feature a 1/35 Crusader II. The Italeri instructions call out for the tracks to be painted white, is this correct?

Also, more generally I wanted to add some paint chips/wear and tear to the model, can anyone tell me what colour primer was used on this tank (or was it bare metal underneath the sand colour?)

Thanks in advance, will try to get some diorama 'in progress' shots up soon.

Thanks

James

Crusader tracks were made from alloy, study of photos and preserved cruisers using similar tracks show little or no evidence of rusting on these tracks. Paint light grey and give a metallic dry-brush for desert use or apply mud for other areas of operation. i would assume a red-oxide primer unless proven otherwise.

Sorry Andrew but I disagree on the track colour. They were given a kind of coating which is a dull grey/dark brownish colour. This would remain in the recesses of the track. I agree with the wear though, dry brush with a light metallic colour such as aluminium or silver. Close examination of preserved Crusaders that I have, er, closely examined reveals the tracks also wear to the metal on the inside of the track including the guide horns and either side of the guide horns were the wheels rub, also around the 'lugs' that stick out where the sprocket teet rub

There is quite a lot wrong with the Italeri Crusader series. All of it can be fixed with homemade mods pretty much (which the exception of the missing radio if you leave the hatch open and the tracks which are horrible and are best repaced with the only AM option; friuls if you can afford it, if not be prepared for a little flexing and stretching to get them to fit)

I have done a comprehensive list of tweaks required. PM me your email address if you want it and I will email it to you. Its far too much to post here

Chris

As for the colour under the chips, you could do it as one that had first been painted SCC2 and the sand is rubbing off. Alternatively, for a more battered look, use a 2B or 4B pencil and rub it on the exposed edges for a dark dull metallic look

Thanks for the replies gents, definitely food for thought....my Crusader will be OOB (I'm not an armour modeller!), the diorama will be more 'modelling practice' than anything else, but I hope you will enjoy it nonetheless!

Cheers

James