Airfix E-3D Sentry AEW1

Simon Cornes

Picked one of these up at Cosford yesterday and very pleased I am. Can anyone recommend any essential upgrades? I am considering the Eduard p/e fret for the E-3B or the Flightpath set for about twice as much! I'm also wondering about wheels as I have a few True Detail sets for the KC-135 but I'm wondering whether they would do or whether this piece of kit has different hubs? Maybe the Flightpath kit includes p/e hubs? But I think bulged whels are pretty essential!

Please let me have the benefit of your opinion!

Thank you

Edited by Simon Cornes

I've an odd feeling that it is the AMT kit reboxed with a couple of Heller sprues added in.Would be worth your while having a look at someone elses build with a view to spotting the nips and tucks to make life a little easier.

I've an odd feeling that it is the AMT kit reboxed with a couple of Heller sprues added in.Would be worth your while having a look at someone elses build with a view to spotting the nips and tucks to make life a little easier.

Thanks Alex, yes I've seen a review by Ian Buick about 12 months ago which is pretty informative. So much so that I've got hold of a copy of the Eduard etch and a set of True Detail wheels. In theory I should also get the Model Alliance decal sheet which includes the Nimrod R1 and Sentry but I think I should show some restraint! Ian also used the Flightpath set in combination with the Eduard stuff but this is how you spend a fortune! I also have Ted Taylor's article so I'm quite well served already!

I'm sure that I remember reading that this is not a re-pop of the AMT moulding by the way. For example I think the canopy glazing is different - the AMT part has the full overhead panel included but this one doesn't.

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

I have no experience of this kit, nor could I even hope to smuggle the box past my wifely creature.

Her vigilance seems to have increased exponentially since we both retired....her discovering the major content of the loft a few years back hasn't helped, either.

However, these people have braved all to enlighten us:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/...t__t_14284.html

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t195194.html

http://tedtaylor.hobbyvista.com/71-airfix-...ry/page-71.html

I hope that their views are helpful. In modelling, big isn't always beautiful at the building stage.

Good luck,

John

I've an odd feeling that it is the AMT kit reboxed with a couple of Heller sprues added in

Oh no it isn't, Alex. The Airfix E-3 Sentry is based on the original Heller Boeing 707 kit ( the windows are blanked out, CFM -56 engines added as an option,Radome & support plus assoeted aerials). It has nothing in common with the AMT (Italeri, Heller et al reboxings) KC-135 Stratotanker series, and a quick comparison of the two kits side by side will tell you this.

Don't forget, as no doubt Jennings Heilig will reiterate, there is almost nothing in common between the Boeing 707 and KC-135 except they are similar size and configuration but designed for totally different tasks, but then the Tu 160 Blackjack and the B-1 are similar size and configuration too.

Picked one of these up at Cosford yesterday and very pleased I am. Can anyone recommend any essential upgrades? I am considering the Eduard p/e fret for the E-3B or the Flightpath set for about twice as much! I'm also wondering about wheels as I have a few True Detail sets for the KC-135 but I'm wondering whether they would do or whether this piece of kit has different hubs? Maybe the Flightpath kit includes p/e hubs? But I think bulged whels are pretty essential!

Please let me have the benefit of your opinion!

Thank you

Hi Simon,

You`ve picked a beast of a project, but one which can yield satisfying results.

I found that I used Flightpath, Eduard, True Details AND scratchbuilding to get an RAF Sentry AEW.1 as none of the detail sets have all that you need, plus Model Alliance ISTARS decs.

Here`s my ARC article on the odyssey that is the Airfix/Heller AWACS build.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...OHIGavE7ybY06nw

All the best with your project, an AWACS just sets off a collection nicely, as long as parking space is planned for the beast in advance. :D

2-6.jpg

HTH, Cheers :drink:

Ian

PS- You ain`t wrong about the cost Simon...ooh my giddy aunt!!! :wacko:

Edited by ian buick
  • Like 1

I've an odd feeling that it is the AMT kit reboxed with a couple of Heller sprues added in.

Not at all. In 1986 Heller did a 707-320B airliner. Later they retooled the fuselage and added E-3 Sentry bits, and the Airfix (and Heller) AWACS kits are that same plastic, with added CFM engines and ESM pods, etc.

The AMT kit from 1992 is a KC-135 (as a basis).

The 707 and the KC-135 share nothing in common except their ancestry in the Dash 80. There are a few parts that are similar such as some types of engines, but most everything else about them, as on the kits, is different.

That is a great looking collection.

Cheers jimbuna,

I wanted to post these pics just to show what I mean about the AM bits, a snapshot in microcosm of the main gear.

aew8.jpg

aew5.jpg

aew4.jpg

aa7.jpg

The plastic is kit, the flat metal is Eduard, the brass is Flightpath, the resin is True Details, and the piping is scratchbuilt.

And that kind of sums-up the wider build in a nutshell. But that is not to say that is all essential, it was just my (expensive) choice.

Again, all the best with yours Simon. I look forward to seeing it`s progress. :speak_cool:

Cheers, Ian

Edited by ian buick

I have a Heller 1/72 awacs kit, minus the big radar thingy, somebody gave it to me to build as an airliner

but...

I would rather build it as an RAF sentry...

Anybody know where I can get a radar, and other bits I need, including engines and decals?

and that pic is awesome...I want to do this more than ever now...not yet...but I want to :analintruder:

Cheers jimbuna,

I wanted to post these pics just to show what I mean about the AM bits, a snapshot in microcosm of the main gear.

aew8.jpg

aew5.jpg

aew4.jpg

aa7.jpg

The plastic is kit, the flat metal is Eduard, the brass is Flightpath, the resin is True Details, and the piping is scratchbuilt.

And that kind of sums-up the wider build in a nutshell. But that is not to say that is all essential, it was just my (expensive) choice.

Again, all the best with yours Simon. I look forward to seeing it`s progress. :speak_cool:

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the response. As you can see, I found your build earlier this week and was very impressed. I doubt that I will go quite that far but then I might end up with a Flightpath set because the price direct from David isn't bad - better than from Hannants anyway! I already have 4 of the AMT KC-135s and their derivatives so storing 5 is as much of problem as 1, and they will go well with the 4 BUFF's !! Something like a metre cube will do nicely! I have yet another set of TD wheels in the pipeline and a second hand Eduard etch set care of Heritage so I will see how useful that is first. I noticed that you have got the nacelle strakes on the inboard sides of your CFM 56 pods and I presume they are care of Flightpath?

Well, at least I've got one and the purchase price was more than reasonable when you have a look at E-Bay these days! Shocking!!

I have a Heller 1/72 awacs kit, minus the big radar thingy, somebody gave it to me to build as an airliner

but...

I would rather build it as an RAF sentry...

Anybody know where I can get a radar, and other bits I need, including engines and decals?

and that pic is awesome...I want to do this more than ever now...not yet...but I want to :analintruder:

Kev,

I have a couple of kits where I won't be using the radomes and I might have a set of decals spare. If you dont get any other offers closer to home then they are yours.

Simon and all

I got quite a lot of walk around pictures of an E-3D at Waddington last year which may help those of you building the RAF Sentry - see link beneath.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53351

Regards and good luck with your build.

Mark

Lucky me picked up a second hand Flightpath set on E-Bay yesterday for about £13 inc postage. I don't think I'm likely to find one for less than that so all I need now is the MA decals!!

Ha! I bought the kit but left the PE. There's one set of MA decals left at Hannants if you're quicker than me (and I won't be quick). If you're not doing ZH102 ("Dopey"), I'll buy any you don't need from you. :D

Edited by Kirk

Lucky me picked up a second hand Flightpath set on E-Bay yesterday for about £13 inc postage. I don't think I'm likely to find one for less than that so all I need now is the MA decals!!

Hi Simon,

In some wierd parallel universe I once thought about building two Sentries which I soon saw the sense of, so I now have a spare MA sheet for the Sentry.

PM me if you want it.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Simon,

In some wierd parallel universe I once thought about building two Sentries which I soon saw the sense of, so I now have a spare MA sheet for the Sentry.

PM me if you want it.

Cheers, Ian

Many thanks for the offer Ian, PM on its way. I have realised that I have made a slight SNAFU on this one. I acquired a second hand Eduard p/e fret thinking that £3 was probably a reasonable second hand price bearing in mind Heritage's £3 postage charge. I thought that £6 all in was okay and so jumped.

I almost fell over yesterday - I foolishly put 'Sentry AEW1' into the Hannants search engine and, amongst other things, it listed the Eduard set for £3.25!! Now I buy my Hannants stuff from SBX and so pay no postage, so I've paid almost twice as much as I should for the p/e!! A case of the buyer being wary!! It may be my age but I really must try harder!!

Many thanks for the offer Ian, PM on its way. I have realised that I have made a slight SNAFU on this one. I acquired a second hand Eduard p/e fret thinking that £3 was probably a reasonable second hand price bearing in mind Heritage's £3 postage charge. I thought that £6 all in was okay and so jumped.

I almost fell over yesterday - I foolishly put 'Sentry AEW1' into the Hannants search engine and, amongst other things, it listed the Eduard set for £3.25!! Now I buy my Hannants stuff from SBX and so pay no postage, so I've paid almost twice as much as I should for the p/e!! A case of the buyer being wary!! It may be my age but I really must try harder!!

Bah! It`s a pain when stuff like that happens, it doesn`t end with older age either, I`ve just been stung with some plastic cars that somehow looked much better in the shop than they actually are.

It`s part of the game though! :bristow:

Replied to your PM Simon.

All the best, Ian :drink:

• 2 years later...