Welcome to the Out of the Box (OOB) Group Build

Dates:

17th of April to the 4th of June

Rules for the Out of the Box Group Build:

1) The kits should be unstarted before the start of the build

2) No purchased aftermarket components can be added (see rule 4)

3) Scratch building can be added but try to keep it minor (e.g. adding belts), however we won't disallow anything

4) Aftermarket / Replacement decals will be allowed if cleared first with a Mod (this is to allow people with missing / very common decals to have another option)

If you have any queries, just drop us a line, or post in this thread, and we'll try to help.

The whole aim of this group build is having fun, and for people to finish a kit with the support and encouragement of everyone else in the build regardless of skill level, or interest area.

Edited by Peter Marshall

Hey guys,would i be allowed to make a Zvezda Mig-21 Bis but with Croatian Af decals,because i dont have my kit decals which i didnt get :S

Here is a scan of those decals:

CroatianAfMig-21Bisdecalsscan.jpg

I will make several scratchbuilt components:cockpit details,wheel bay details etc.

Kind regards,Sven.

Hey guys,would i be allowed to make a Zvezda Mig-21 Bis but with Croatian Af decals,because i dont have my kit decals which i didnt get :S

Here is a scan of those decals:

CroatianAfMig-21Bisdecalsscan.jpg

I will make several scratchbuilt components:cockpit details,wheel bay details etc.

Kind regards,Sven.

That would be fine - if you don't have the kit decals then replacements are the only way to go.

Adding a little of life into wheel wells of Spitfire IX.c of airfix is permitted? Something like this:

P1000501.jpg

That would be fine - it's scratch building, rather than purchasing AM.

What's the situation regarding adding rigging to biplane models?

We discussed this before we started, and rigging would be fine as long as it isn't pre-bought PE rigging (e.g. Tamiya's PE Rigging for the Swordfish wouldn't be allowed, but using fishing line is fine).

to be on the safe site: It is ok to paint the bird and to add the included decals but it's not ok to buy extra stuff? Or do we build the kits without any paintings and/or decals?

Hi Peter,

Are Eduard paint masks acceptable? I'm planning to do Italeri's 72nd scale He111Z but if I've got to make my own from tamiya tape it'll take me till the end of play just to do them!

Eduard paint masks would not be acceptable as they are purchased AM accessories - sorry.... parafilm makes that kind of thing easy though if you can get some.

to be on the safe site: It is ok to paint the bird and to add the included decals but it's not ok to buy extra stuff? Or do we build the kits without any paintings and/or decals?

Painting and adding the kit decals is fine - the idea is to avoid buying any Aftermarket accessories, and just using what's in the box and any scratch building you feel like.

Peter

Eduard paint masks would not be acceptable as they are purchased AM accessories - sorry.... parafilm makes that kind of thing easy though if you can get some.

Painting and adding the kit decals is fine - the idea is to avoid buying any Aftermarket accessories, and just using what's in the box and any scratch building you feel like.

Peter

thanks Peter ... I don't need any aftermarket stuff for my builds :D

just paint and some decals ... that's absolutely enough ;)

Hi Peter, as I've already purchased the paint masks for this kit it is now back in the stash and I'm eyeing up a few other kits to replace it.

Just a small point, on the Current Group Build index page the start date is down as 18th April, only noticed as I thought some builds had been started a day early.

4) Aftermarket / Replacement decals will be allowed if cleared first with a Mod (this is to allow people with missing / very common decals to have another option)

Hi Mods,

I'm planning to build this Piper Cub soon as my project for the expo table at our's club's first convention in august...

piper.jpg

Being a Belgian I will go for the Cub in Belgian markings as flown in the 1960's...

piperl18c_l77.jpg

The kit doesn't have those decals.So I'm using decals from other kits plus I've had the code letters printed for this project.

Can I enter this build into the GB ? The build will be totally OoB.

I would say yes Erwin - using spares from other kits would always be fine, so the only AM is the codes.

Thank you.

The codes aren't realy "aftermarket" as I've had them printed as a "one of a kind" just for my build.

Edited by Erwin

I have another question regarding model assembly: Do we need to strictly follow instructions regarding assembly procedure, painting....? For example, if instructions say BLACK and pics show GREY, ... I mean how far is OOB really OOB, besides rules mentioned in the 1st post?