Anyone know anything about Ansons?

Jon Bryon

I know this should be in 'Cold War', but I thought there might be more expertise in here, so please forgive the intrusion!

I'm pondering starting CA's 1/48 Post-War Anson kit once my current Spitfire project is done, and was hoping to finish it in the kit-supplied RN markings for NK941. Some simple googling has thrown up two images of NK941, which unfortunately show the markings to be nothing like those in the kit. The kit interpretation is overall silver with yellow wing and fuselage stripes, coded 604. The two photos I've found (http://www.nvva.nl/renekrul/catalogs/avro.anson.i.nk941-c603.jpg and http://www.verdon-roe.co.uk/#/avro/1921193...oansonnk941603) both show no stripes, coded 603/'C', roundels of different proportions to those in the kit, much bigger serial, an anti-glare panel, some kind of pod under the nose and a lot more antennae.

Does anyone out there know if the CA interpretation is correct for NK941 at a different point in its (post-war) life?

If I have no luck with NK941, can anyone verify the research on any of the other markings options in the kit (Israeli, Portugese, Dutch, Norwegian, Belgian)?

Any help most appreciated; I'm looking to get the markings at least moderately correct!

Cheers

Jon

History from the Anson File indicates it was coded 603 while with Air Service Training, Hamble, then 604 with 750 Sqd FAA at St Merryn before being SOC 2/4/55. There is a side profile in the Warpaint Anson book showing her coded 604 with the yellow panels. I'd imagine the kit markings match the Warpaint book, Special Hobby have followed that pretty religiously, right up to the erroneous engraved lines on the 1/72 scale model wings where the underskin wooden formers are shown on the plans in the book.

Richard,

That's great news; looks like 604 is ok. The photos I've seen of NK941 as 603 say at that time it was with AST at Hamble, so sounds like the CA markings and Warpaint profile are for its next life.

I know nothing about Ansons or any reliable references - would you say the Anson File is reliable? I'm presuming it's a book, rather than a public domain source.

Thanks for the reply; most helpful.

Jon

The Anson File is an Air-Britain publication and was written by Ray Sturtivant, who has penned several tomes about British civil aircraft and the Avro company. I have the utmost confidence in his research and information.