1/144 Emirates A380-900 conversion

Hi Chris,

I was wondering how you were going to plug the gap, what with the A380 fuselage being non-circular, but the shaped balsa plug is a very neat idea. Good luck with the sanding, the milliput reminds me how my A340-600 fuselage looked last year - and you've got that to look forward once you finished, ;-) At least you'll be a pro milliput sander by then!

Darren

Hi Chris,

I was wondering how you were going to plug the gap, what with the A380 fuselage being non-circular, but the shaped balsa plug is a very neat idea. Good luck with the sanding, the milliput reminds me how my A340-600 fuselage looked last year - and you've got that to look forward once you finished, ;-) At least you'll be a pro milliput sander by then!

Darren

Thanks Darren, I can't stand the stuff it smells and it take ages to clean your hands and I'm not looking forward to the 340-600 :( the paint job is going to be hard to match. Not using the virgin sheet, got a set of gio decal Etihad formula one A340-600 sheet

Not had much time to do any bits lately but I sanded down the 2nd coat of filler when I got home from work this morning, I think a 3rd coat is calling me :( loads of indents ect. I used some wet and dry after the sanding

Front

0fa54c5a.jpg

Rear

5ac13994.jpg

Will put another coat on now and sand down about 8ish tonight

Been very busy tonight, finished sanding the 3rd coat of filler and rubbed it all down with wet and dry and she looks good..... Finished building the undercarriage, engines and wings, managed to fit one wing. Will fit the other tomorrow along with the undercarriage and belly plate and then maybe get a coat of primer on

33e975c4.jpg

looking good, been doing this kit for a while now haven't you, so what company are you doing it in?

Hi Bradley, yes I have buddy. It took ages trying to work out the fuselage but I got there in the end, this bird will be Emirates because I think they will be the first to fly the 900. So I can't wait to get the paint on apart from masking up the red on the belly :(

• Like 1

UPDATE 14/7

Hi all been busy tonight sanding the filler down on the engine and fitting the belly plate and wheel flaps and filling it. Added a home made pod just behind the rear undercarriage ( see a pic of an Emirates 380 with it ) I didn't like the way the wing was sitting so I pulled it of. And I will get the fuse in primer tomorrow

this is the pod i was talking about, dont know what it is???

em1-1.jpg

this is my home made one

9d4a9be8.jpg

Hi Chris,

That 'pod' is a tail skid, used only on the prototypes. It was designed to protect the tail during the test phase such as minimum take off speeds etc, when the tail often hits the runway. In the photo of the Emirates bird you've shown, the registration is F-****, meaning it's an Airbus registered test plane. This machine was painted in full Emirates livery when doing demonstration flights.

Fully operational and in service A380s do not have the skid fitted.

Hope that helps! Great build by the way... loving it!

Tom

Hi Chris,

That 'pod' is a tail skid, used only on the prototypes. It was designed to protect the tail during the test phase such as minimum take off speeds etc, when the tail often hits the runway. In the photo of the Emirates bird you've shown, the registration is F-****, meaning it's an Airbus registered test plane. This machine was painted in full Emirates livery when doing demonstration flights.

Fully operational and in service A380s do not have the skid fitted.

Hope that helps! Great build by the way... loving it!

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom, I should of known that after watching the worlds biggest airliner. But thanks for the comment buddy

Been busy the past 2 days but in that time she has had 3 coats of halfords primer. Still some issues I need to sort out before the appliance White, ie filler over the plugs it looks fine but I'm just not 100% happy with it so some more fine wet and dry should sort it. Well here is the fuse is the primer

241b5586.jpg