Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.7

LIDS = Lift Improvement DeviceS (aka CADS?)

As you suggest, they are projections from the ventral fuselage to capture a cushion of air when the aircraft is in the ground effect region and thereby stop it being aerodynamically sucked forcibly on to the ground. They're so effective that the pilot normally has to throttle back slightly to allow the aircraft to land.

Technically the gun pods are also LIDS as is the transverse dam, but common use is just to call the thin strakes LIDS and call the gun pods, er, gun pods.

LIDS = Lift Improvement DeviceS (aka CADS?)

As you suggest, they are projections from the ventral fuselage to capture a cushion of air when the aircraft is in the ground effect region and thereby stop it being aerodynamically sucked forcibly on to the ground. They're so effective that the pilot normally has to throttle back slightly to allow the aircraft to land.

Technically the gun pods are also LIDS as is the transverse dam, but common use is just to call the thin strakes LIDS and call the gun pods, er, gun pods.

cheers Kirk..... going with the thin LIDS on this....

progress... nose & tail tip now on, also made the holes for the in-flight mount (and it fits too).... next is filling & sanding before adding the wings.......

Morning Rob.

Kirk pretty much answered your question bang on. Fuel tanks and empty pylons would be the order of the day on this one, again all the pics I've seen on this particular GR7 show no other fit at all. Pretty much what you'd expect for a display aircraft!

Morning Rob.

Kirk pretty much answered your question bang on. Fuel tanks and empty pylons would be the order of the day on this one, again all the pics I've seen on this particular GR7 show no other fit at all. Pretty much what you'd expect for a display aircraft!

and of course, all this "display aircraft" means clean (or cleaner than one flying operationally anyway)... so will be a completly clean bird.... no pre-shading, post-shading, panel lines....... bliss ;-)

progress made... airframe all done and awaiting primer.... canopy been kleared - waiting for that to dry (tomorrow) to mask and glue onto airframe...... then its painting time.... actually like the look of it on the stand..... maybe more will be mounted

_MG_0332.jpg

_MG_0327.jpg

_MG_0328.jpg

_MG_0329.jpg

_MG_0326.jpg

primer on... now need to risk thein-box blue for the tail... the success (or failure) of this will govern whether I use the rest of the in-box paint or have to get it replaced with enamel......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm is the best I can come up with for the OOB acrylic paints.... the light blue tail sprayed quite well so then thought I would do the underside grey.... not sure what happened but the A/B was pushing air but no paint coming ouit... thorough clean of the A/B and still doing the same... re-cleaned and at last a bit of paint... but the finish is attrocious...... so anyway, going to hairy-stick the upper surface and then redo the lower (assuming I have enough of the damn paint left).... this has put me off acrylic (and yes i had thinned it (with water admittedly)) so will be stocking up on MM enamels for any future builds.....

sort of rescued this by brush painting.... well at least the colour is on.... so next is KLEAR then decals.... photos later

If the airfix gift set paints are like the revell ones they dry almost instantly in the airbrush! I've had limited success thinning them with either Tamyia thinners (which has a drying retarder in it) or Vallejo airbrush cleaner.

Don't judge all acrylics by these paints!

Phil

cheers Phil and I wont... maybe I will take the plunge on a test model.... think NEwcastle MZ stocks Valejo (they stock something "unusual - tall thin bottles) will have a look.. .looks like the Widgeon will get a new coat of paint.... hmmmmmmmmm grey/white USN colours of the prowler (then I can use the paint on that kit as well if it is good)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

finally finished on deadline day...... far off even my worst build since starting - not happy really with it - but hey ho, i have learnt NOT to rely on Airfix kit paints.......

_MG_0714.jpg

_MG_0719.jpg