Pigsty's silly Puma questions thread

pigsty

Well, the last one worked, so here goes ...

I plan a nice relaxing build of Italeri's original Sd Kfz 234/2. To scupper my own intentions I wonder if anyone can help with some dim questions. First:

• the suspension arms appear to have quite prominent mould seams on the top and bottom members. Would I be right in assuming these should be sanded away and not left because the original had them?
  • the drive shafts between the arms appear to have gaiters around the inboard end. Would these have been bare rubber, painted-over rubber, or metal?
  • does anyone know the correct angle for the wheels' camber?

Ta very much.

Edited by pigsty

Well, the last one worked, so here goes ...

I plan a nice relaxing build of Italeri's original Sd Kfz 234/2. To scupper my own intentions I wonder if anyone can help with some dim questions. First:

• the suspension arms appear to have quite prominent mould seams on the top and bottom members. Would I be right in assuming these should be sanded away and not left because the original had them?
  • the drive shafts between the arms appear to have gaiters around the inboard end. Would these have been bare rubber, painted-over rubber, or metal?
  • does anyone know the correct angle for the wheels' camber?

Ta very much.

Hey Sean!

From memory - here are some answers...

1. No mould seams - sand them away

2. Rubber that could be either painted or bare. Weather over them and no-one will ever know...

3. As far as I am aware, the wheels are vertical to the ground with no camber - and that's how they look in all of the images I have of this family of vehicles. In fact, I think that all German armoured cars are the same in this respect...

Hope this helps!

Spence :)

Hey Sean!

From memory - here are some answers...

1. No mould seams - sand them away

2. Rubber that could be either painted or bare. Weather over them and no-one will ever know...

3. As far as I am aware, the wheels are vertical to the ground with no camber - and that's how they look in all of the images I have of this family of vehicles. In fact, I think that all German armoured cars are the same in this respect...

Hope this helps!

Spence :)

It certainly does, thanks. On closer inspection it turns out you're right about the camber. Just leaves me wondering why the instructions show the wheels all knock-kneed. Italian technical drawing at its very best, perhaps.

Another puzzle - though this time I think I know half the answer.

At the four corners of the chassis are small plates that hang ahead of the suspension. They're raked parallel to the armour plate at these points (so they hang further back at the bottom). Parts 19 and 20 if you're familiar with the kit.

• The parts have small tabs along the upper edges and the instructions seem to show these fitting into slots in the lower hull. Yet the lower hull part has only mounting points sketched in with raised lines. The box art and the made-up kit in the instructions imply that the plates should mount directly to the lower hull, so that I'll need to drill out the slots. Is that right?
  • The illustrations also imply that these plates should be mounted at a slight angle, so that the outer end is slightly further back than the inner end. Would that be right?

I'm creeping closer to an answer. I've looked up Dragon's instructions on-line and they seem to indicate flush-fitted plates at an angle. Although, being Dragon instructions, it's hard to tell, and they've engineered them differently. Anyone hazard confirmation one way or the other?

Another couple of quickies. I should know the answer to these but it occurs to me that I've not made a piece of German armour since about 1985. Jacks: painted, or bare metal? If painted, camouflage colour, or something else? And fire extinguishers: red, black, other, or camouflage?

• 5 weeks later...

Got the answers on the tools and fire extinguishers, but here's another. The Puma has six smoke launchers on the sides of the turret. In the kit they're all empty, which I'm guessing is wrong, so I've filled a few to make it look busier. Does anyone know what colour the smoke grenades should be?

• 6 years later...

Hi, pigsty,

Guess I am resurrecting both this thread and an Italeri Puma I found somewhere inside the moving boxes (Karton der Umzug?)

Have you advanced/finished your build? what reaaaaaally puzzles me (beside many, many small things) is that the roof plate of the hull, where the turret ring is, does not match the hull opening, being too long ad too thin! Is/was that the same in your example?

Thank you, Kumpel

FErnando

Jacks could be unpainted or painted, dunkelgelb in the days of Puma.  After 1943, pretty much everything military that needed to be painted was in dunkelgelb.  Overpainting with camo colours depended on how diligent the crew were in applying it: whether they removed the loose items first.  So overpainting is certainly possible.  Fire extinguishers much the same.  Panzergrau or dunkelgelb depending on period with black-on-white labels.  AFAIK never black or red.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Fernando said:

Have you advanced/finished your build? what reaaaaaally puzzles me (beside many, many small things) is that the roof plate of the hull, where the turret ring is, does not match the hull opening, being too long ad too thin! Is/was that the same in your example?

Yes, thanks, I finished it shortly after that last post.  A very easy, pleasing kit to build.  One day I'll get around to moving my old photos from Photobucket to Flickr and you may see it again.

I don't remember that problem with the top of the hull.  There was a separate plate, but it fitted fine on mine.  Sorry I can't help.