Hobby Boss Mil-8 HIP

Thought I'd post a few piccies of this build.

Apparently, to make this up as a proper Mi8, you need to cut away the upper deck engine cowls and replace them with a Pavla resin replacement. As I wanted to build a Rooski whirlybird, I took the plunge. I hate working with resin and I really hate chopping up my models but I thought "what the heck" & went for it. I had invested in a new razor saw and it made the job a lot easier and far more precise, so that helped...

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

After having done the deed, I offered the new cowling up and, as expected, the fit is pretty poor. There will be a fair bit of filling & fettling to get the two parts to fit :( I shan't worry about it till the fuselage is all joined up & ready to go, though and as I decided to make a bit of an effort on the interior, that will be a little way off.

IMG_0003.jpg

I've added some fairly spurious & fictitous detail to the pit and the cargo cabin. I don't know if it's right, but I don't really care. At this scale, I reckon that the effect is more important and I'm rather pleased with the way it's going. Passenger seats are made of plasticard and paperclips and I've added some technical-looking avionics boxes, cable runs and dome-lights to busy things up. I suppose I could have done the stencils & placards using gash decals, but I hand painted them instead.

can you post pics of the resin and kit part so i can see the difference. as not sure what it is.

i heard good things about this kit generally, its on my list for this year to get one.

i completed mine, did you see it? the SAR.

oh yeah, i added scratchbuilt items in the rear and nowt can be seen lol

Edited by mrcooljules

Cool,i have the same kit+conversion,i started it but gave up fitting the resin cockpit to original parts.

I wish you a lot of luck on this one!

Kindly,Sven.

i recently made the old revell kit (i saw the real ones in E Germany few years ago). i had 2 very old KP ones, but the Revell one (for many years...just in my collection). i heard good things about the hobbyboss ones.

yaick... I have that one with the Eduard p.e., are you sure that you have to cut that to build this version?? I do dont to cut my kit!!! I will build it like it is, but is good to see you do it! :-) I will follow your work!

Regards

Vitor Costa

If you're backdating a Mi-8MT (Mi-17) to a Mi-8T or TB remember that the tail rotor points the other way.

The fuselage mounted fuel tanks might be different as well, depending on model.

The Revell kit 04477 represents a fairly accurate Mi-8T, might have been cheaper to cannibalize that one rather than buy the Pavla set.

Edited by Dndieje

If you're backdating a Mi-8MT (Mi-17) to a Mi-8T or TB remember that the tail rotor points the other way.

The fuselage mounted fuel tanks might be different as well, depending on model.

The Revell kit 04477 represents a fairly accurate Mi-8T, might have been cheaper to cannibalize that one rather than buy the Pavla set.

i get confused, with the Mi 8's. seem so many different things, and as you say the rotor at the back. i built my revell kit, on old e german ones i saw close up. i was going to ask, why were some with defferent facing rotors.

i walked around 3 differnt E german ones, each had differnt features and even different cockpit colours

Nice to see I stirred up some interest!

I'll post pix of the replacement parts later on - I kept the stuff I cut off so I can try & do a comparison. I do know about the tail rotor & will sort that out later too, but the tanks have gone on already as per the kit, so que sera sera.

I'm not terribly worried about accuracy so the interior colour & layout are as I think they should be & I don't know why I bothered with the Pavla top deck. Will post a few more pix anon.

BTW, I also cut off the clamshell back doors & they'll be posed open so the interior will be visible...

Edited by crookedmouth

i get confused, with the Mi 8's. seem so many different things, and as you say the rotor at the back. i built my revell kit, on old e german ones i saw close up. i was going to ask, why were some with defferent facing rotors.

i walked around 3 differnt E german ones, each had differnt features and even different cockpit colours

Up to the Mi-8T (transport) and TB (assault) the tail rotor was facing to starboard in the direction of flight.

No idea why really, can't think of any practical reason why they should do this.

The engine compartment is totally different though between the T and MT.

Among other differences it has proportionally longer intake tunnels at the front and lacks the IR suppressor at the rear.

The colours seem to be another typical Eastern trait.

Looks like after deep maintenance they take whatever colour is available or preferred. Same thing seems to apply for the cockpit and, for instance, wheelbay colours of jets.

Mi-17 Is just the export classification for the Mi-8 by the way.

Up to the very latest model the Mi-8 is still Mi-8 in Russian parlance, only the export versions (starting with Mi-8MT) are classified as Mi-17.

Nice to see I stirred up some interest!

I'll post pix of the replacement parts later on - I kept the stuff I cut off so I can try & do a comparison. I do know about the tail rotor & will sort that out later too, but the tanks have gone on already as per the kit, so que sera sera.

I'm not terribly worried about accuracy so the interior colour & layout are as I think they should be & I don't know why I bothered with the Pavla top deck. Will post a few more pix anon.

BTW, I also cut off the clamshell back doors & they'll be posed open so the interior will be visible...

Please don't think I was making comments about the accuracy of your model ! God knows I'm the opposite of a rivet counter (those who have seen my models can vouch for that).

I just meant it might have been cheaper to cut the Revell (really Zvezda) to bits.

The tanks are no issue, the Mi-8T was delivered standard with the smaller fuel tanks but they were very probably retro-fitted with the larger MT tanks later in their career.

I very much like this conversion !

Please don't think I was making comments about the accuracy of your model ! God knows I'm the opposite of a rivet counter (those who have seen my models can vouch for that).

I just meant it might have been cheaper to cut the Revell (really Zvezda) to bits.

Not at all - I don't offend easily and I certainly didn't take that as a criticism. I hate counting rivets too. If it quacks like a duck and it floats, then it's probably some sort of Russian helicopter. :D

By the way, my first choice was the Revell kit, but that doesn't seem to be available on general sale (I don't do EBay) and I was torn by the Zvezda and SH choice.

Here we go with the resin part and the hacked away kit part

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

To my rather inexpert eye there's almost no difference in the length of the cowlings (which I thought was the main difference) although the vents and IR jammer are different. I was contemplating moving the old IR Jammer back onto the helo and adding a flare pod on the boom. Any advice?

The resin kit also comes with the intakes and exhaust ducts

OK - have done as much as I want to do on the interior and I'm rather pleased with it, if I say so myself...

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

However, I am now a little concerned about the resin upper deck. A simple dry fit test (far from simple, hence the lack of photos) suggests that the fit is far (very far) from perfect. The whole cowling, from the intakes to the butt with the tailboom is slightly warped banana-style, and the separation between the left and right walls varies along its length as well. What's more, the lower edges don't meet the cut edge on the original kit, so there will be a mini-grand canyon to fill one way or another. So, when I say "far from perfect", I really mean "b00dy awful" and I was half tempted simply to glue the original kit parts back on and bin the resin.

However, being the mean, tight fisted, grasping pragmatical SoB of a Scotsman that I am, I decided to forge ahead. By adding location tabs along the length of the mating surface on the fuselage I hope to be able to spread the resin cowl to the same width as the fuselage and straighten it up a bit too. I've also added a couple of shims at the front to close one of the gaps underneath the intakes. Some more will be required further back.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

I also need to work out how to attach the resin exhaust outlets. In the original kit is a mounting plate that will not work for the new parts, and I need to make sure that the pipes don't foul my new locating tabs.

Hopefully, by the next post, this will all be a distant memory, however, there's a lot (a LOT!) of CA that needs to dry for a while...

Edited by crookedmouth

Hello crookedmouth

Good job till now. It could be an optical illusion but it looks like the clear parts (windows) are not at the same level than the exterior of the fuselage! I can be wrong but is the impression i have!

Please dont take me wrong but in some windows its possible to se the interior color, there is nothing you can do about it?

Im telling you this because i would like that you do the same to me, every time you see something "wrong" on my in progress works please let me know!

Keep the good work

Regards

Vitor Costa

Wait a minute here Mister....You are building an helo...Feeling ok?????

Nice work I must add. I do like your interior as well.

Whats next? 1/35 scale !!!!

OLiver

Hello crookedmouth

Good job till now. It could be an optical illusion but it looks like the clear parts (windows) are not at the same level than the exterior of the fuselage! I can be wrong but is the impression i have!

Please dont take me wrong but in some windows its possible to se the interior color, there is nothing you can do about it?

Im telling you this because i would like that you do the same to me, every time you see something "wrong" on my in progress works please let me know!

Keep the good work

Regards

Vitor Costa

Hi Victor - you're right, I had a lot of trouble gettintg the windows to sit flat in the frames and even when I did, they dont sit flush to the outside of the fus. Now, this is going to sound like a well worn excuse but bear in mind that those photos show this model at about 3x lifesize. I was looking at it this morning after I read your comment and the problem barely shows. When it's painted up, I hope that it'll be more or less invisible. (I have a fairly relaxed attitude to my own poor workmanship :) )

Edited by crookedmouth

Wait a minute here Mister....You are building an helo...Feeling ok?????

Nice work I must add. I do like your interior as well.

Whats next? 1/35 scale !!!!

OLiver

Hi Oliver - yup... a helo! I love the look of the Hip and I may do another one (an armed version perhaps) at a later date. May even go for a Hind. I don't think I'll be moving to 1/35 scale though - I have no idea where I'm going to put this 1/72 chopper so I'll never find room for a 35 scale job.

i would just love to do the 35th one, but outa my price range. and having recently completed the revell one, hopefully this year i can do a hobbyboss one!

I'm watching this with interest - some very nice work going on there.

I've only recently discovered that Qinetiq/ETPS have Mi-17s and quite fancy making one. However, knowing the square root of bugger all about Soviet helicopters, I wondered which is the best model (1/72) to use?

Richard

I've only recently discovered that Qinetiq/ETPS have Mi-17s and quite fancy making one. However, knowing the square root of bugger all about Soviet helicopters, I wondered which is the best model (1/72) to use?

Richard

i built the revell one recently, pretty good. avoid the old KP kit

i built the revell one recently, pretty good. avoid the old KP kit

This one - the Hobby Boss - is supposed to be the best and so far I've found nothing to complain about.

Richard

The Hobbyboss kit.