Operation "Odyssey Dawn" Typhoons

Rampage55

After reading this thread I took my ROG 1/48 Typhoon kit out and discovered that the markings for this jet are included on the decal sheet.

9620.jpg

There also seems to be just enough ordnance included in the box to configure it this way as well.

My hope is to build this kit as close to OOB as possible. My question is, what else do I need to know to depict this particular jet at this moment? Are there any changes that need to be made to this kit to accurately depict a current Typhoon flying in support of Operation "Odyssey Dawn"?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

As far as i`m aware all the jets sent out there are Trenche 1 jets in FGR4 configaration so really only glaring thing that i can think is to add the FLIR sensor i don`t think they`re flying with the inner pylons (which ROG don`t include in the kit) so should be easy enough to build.

Add the FLIR and check to make sure the tail code and serial numbers are still the same as they are in the kit, as jets are often swapped between squadrons. Inboard pylons won't be required as the jets are flying air superiority missions. From the photos I've seen you will need to source another pair of ASRAAMs and scratchbuild the launchers on the outboard pylons, as I believe they are flying with 4x ASRAAM and 4x AMRAAM as well as two tanks. If you wanted to get really detailed you could add the flares to the flare dispensers under the wings...

Hi,

You shouldn't need any code/serial changes as ZJ918/QO-L has been current in those markings since delivery. As already noted, it requires the FLIR sensor as it is now a FGR4 upgrade. These aircraft deployed with AIM-120C's, with the shorter, cut down rear fin. I believe the kits include the earlier fin type (AIM120A/B).

Couple of pics of this aircraft that may help you. Photographed returning from a Practise QRA sortie in October, with the earlier AMRAAM model and only two - rather than the usual four - fitted.

IMG_3912-1.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Gary

After reading this thread I took my ROG 1/48 Typhoon kit out and discovered that the markings for this jet are included on the decal sheet.

9620.jpg

There also seems to be just enough ordnance included in the box to configure it this way as well.

My hope is to build this kit as close to OOB as possible. My question is, what else do I need to know to depict this particular jet at this moment? Are there any changes that need to be made to this kit to accurately depict a current Typhoon flying in support of Operation "Odyssey Dawn"?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Hello, i recently completed this kit myself (before the Libya conflict). the only things i added were the extra missile launchers (from the spares box) and 2 aviation workshop AIM-132 ASRAAM's. See my build, may be able to help.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67307

Dave

Thank you very much gentleman you all have been very helpful.

Bobski,

Thanks for your sticky on the Typhoon, very informative.

Gary,

You are correct the kit comes with AIM 120 B's

Those photos of ZJ918 are absolutly superb. Those images really are the stuff of inspiration.

Dave,

Beautiful build. I hope mine turns out as nice.

Cheers,

Mark

9620.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Mark

The RAF Typhoons are not supporting operation Odyssey Dawn, they are undertaking Operation Ellamy!

Selwyn

Don`t know if this helps but i found a complete list of the 10 RAF Typhoons deployed to Gioia del Colle in this months copy of AFM.

3 Sqn

ZJ916 QO-U

ZJ925 QO-R

ZJ941 QO-J

ZJ917 QO-G

ZJ918 QO-L

XI Sqn

ZJ939 DXI

ZJ919 DC

ZJ924 DD

ZJ933 DF

29® Sqn

ZJ928 BX

Hope this helps anyone wanting to build a Typhoon involved in the Libya situation.