HMCS Snowberry 1:72

A photo-less update tonight...mainly because I've simply touched up the paint errors on the hull. Then I introduced some new ones, so had to touch them up too. And made a couple more...and thus a 10 minute job took 2 hours. :doh:

Likely I'll decal it, then weather it before sealing it all in before the rest of the build.

Any advice on weathering techniques? I was planning:

- a wash to dirty it up.

- a dry brush to pop the panel joins

- pastels for rust; vertical "running" from the various holes (big one for the anchor), along some random edges and the occasional spot here and there. Question is - how best to apply it? brush?

I used a blend of thinner, black ink with some paper towel to wipe in the direction of sea/drainage. Followed by some rust out of the scuppers and from random points in the plate. Then some more thinner rubbed on with paper towel to blend everything down. Just make certain you have a good seal on the original paint colour...unless you are looking for the paint flake appearance. Since the oil burning engine would slowly lay black soot I started high and worked down. Took about two hours from start to finish.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/Capt...LLIWACK0001.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/Capt...LLIWACK0003.jpg

Here is a link to my construction log on another site, with more photos and a step by step in my construction, I built mine as a short-focsle mid-war RCN corvette, vice the OOB late war RN that the original kit displays (HMCS SNOWBERRY was one of ten RCN Corvettes built for the UK and then transferred back to the RCN. Upgrades were paid for by the RN throughout the war - they could be distinquished from the RCN corvettes by their round sterns and up-to-date equipment).

http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.c...vette-Build-Log

Most of mine was either kit parts converted or scratch built, but the railings are from Mr Parkins and I recommend him as an excellent vendor and have purchased some more sets for a follow-up project.

Cheers,

CB

Edited by Captain Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Well, I've done the weathering...or the rusting mainly. Dark wash to dirty it, then some rust tamiya pastels over the top. Sealed up with matt.

I'm quite pleased with the results, given it's my first ship weathering! I've yet to decide what to do with the portals - if anything. And I've got the anchor to do. Suspect that'll very rusty.

In other news - Some GLS stuff is coming ;) Have decided to do it in installments; I've kicked off with the decking set and bridge set for now. Will go for the funnel and guns in the next installment, and the final installment will be details - lifeboats, railings etc.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

And the GLS stuff (phase 1) is here!

And good lord...check it out. It's *heavy* - there's a lot of metal here! Stunning detail in metal you just don't get in plastic...and Dave threw in some scuttles as well as a wee surprise! Nice one Dave...only snag is, I'd already sealed the hull up by the time they arrived...:doh:

web.jpg

For an idea of scale, that's the entire width of my dining room table! :analintruder:

And here's progress - I started on the decks, as the most natural starting point. Even though it's metal, it's still very flexible. I'm going to run some plasticard underneath to strengthen it. Also, I think I'll build as much of the decks as I can, without installing them. I suspect the front will be easier than the rear, but it'll make it much easier to work on off the hull.

Note: I think I'll go back and re-do the wooden deck. This is Tamiya "wooden deck tan", but it's too light I think - wotcha recon? Needs to be browner/redder I think, and weathered, naturally. The GLS stuff separates the wooden decks from the steel - and what a godsend. Worth the money for that alone.

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

Just a thought on the deck colour, but White Ensign do a Deck Teak colour in their range. HTH

Chris

Does it come in "rattle can" flavour?

Unfortunately not, just the standard sized tinlets, but it is quite a good colour. At first I thought it a little over the top, but with a bit of toning and weathering a very acceptible result.

No photo's though at the moment.

Chris

Nice,was looking at the GLS stuff last night.Its a pretty penny but worth it.

Oops Manners Christopher,

Apologies Silverburn, forgot to say that the model was lookin great.

Following with interest.

Chris

Hi all,

Cheers for the compliments guys - good to know I'm on the right track!

I started on the GLS stuff proper today, and got to a good milestone - all the decks are on! I've weathered the rear superstructure, and so far, it's come out alright. I had planned to do the forward deck last, and fit it with the bridge in place, but after some dry fitting or the re-enforced deck, I decided it was ok. Plus I wanted to be totally sure my deck was level and flat. Which it is.

My teak decking is more "mahogany" than "teak", so I need to lighten it and age it a bit. Tricky...

Also completed the engine room canopy - and wow...brutal. I still need to go the latch thingies, because had to retreat after 3 hours of it - I went :hypnotised:

So onwards - think I'll start on the bridge section tomorrow, and that will give me the basic outline of the ship. Then it's time to add detail and guns!

Apologies for the weird angle; this thing is so massive, it's difficult to get a good shot in, just using an iphone.

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

Wow, this one is coming along very nicely, love the paint/weatherng, it's really well done. I'm following this with great interest as I have a corvette in the stash and my dad served on one, so I'll be building it for him. That detail set you got looks very interesting.... :hmmm:

Keep up the good work! :speak_cool:

This ship is looking great! i always thought about this one when it was Matchbox but never plucked up the courage to try. I missed out then... maybe one day.

Great work,

Regards, Ray

silverburn,

Very, very nice weathering. Love the subtle rust streaks.

On the wooden area of the decks, the wood was likely never painted, so it would weather very quickly...especially up forward where it would be wet from spray and salt. Drying out rapidly alongside giving it a grey or faded wood colouring.

Cheers,

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, now this is a nice project. I have the same kit that I'm slowly working on. I must say that I should order Davids GLS photo-etch stuff. It sure is a pricey bit for me since I'll be paying in US $$. Yours is coming along very nice. I'm going to follow it along and use it as a reference. Keep up the good work my friend. :)

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys - thanks for all the compliments!

Apologies there's been no update in a while - I've been a bit busy moving out to Switzerland and starting a new job! That and my wife is due our 2nd child *today* (but not looking like arriving on time though).

There's also the slight snag that I've given all my modelling kit to my dad - absolutely everything, so currently this is sitting in his attic feeling a bit sorry for itself!

Edited by silverburn