FCM's South African Ratel 90 FSV.

Dave

I've been fiddling about with this one whilst taking a temporary break from the Cheetah build. It was originally released by Fire Force Products a number of years ago.

DSCF0238bm.jpg

I originally bought it a few years back, after opening the box and then inspecting the parts with increasing amounts of horror I chucked it into the back of the cupboard 'for another day'. It was rougher than a badger's bottom!

Some test fitting shows with a little help, it could build into a pretty good version of the Ratel 90

DSCF0237bm.jpg

One of the 'small' problems concerns the general shape, the hull roof should not slope.

DSCF0235bm.jpg

So after grinding off the turret locating ring it was out with the filler

DSCF0261bm.jpg

DSCF0255bm.jpg

That's looking a bit better!

The turret is a little sparse and needs some extra detailing. The Commander's hatch opening is also undersized, unless he's going to be a skinny git!

DSCF0254bm.jpg

This is it so far

DSCF0265_editedbm.jpg

Comments good and bad most welcome chaps :D

Like it! I have the BaxMod Ratel 20, Casspir and Buffel in 1/35 in my stash as well as an Azmiut Eland 90 and a conversion kit for a Centurion to the Olifant 1B..... Was thinking of doing some sort of Cuito Cuanavale diorama. But then I have those Cheetahs etc to do too...

Like it! I have the BaxMod Ratel 20, Casspir and Buffel in 1/35 in my stash as well as an Azmiut Eland 90 and a conversion kit for a Centurion to the Olifant 1B..... Was thinking of doing some sort of Cuito Cuanavale diorama. But then I have those Cheetahs etc to do too...

What can you tell us about the Olifant conversion?

Baxmod web page don't tell much about it.

I'd love to build one, but I've heard about a new kit from Cromwell due soon, so I'll have to choose.

Many thanks Vlam. I've got Chris' 1/35 kits too - have you seen that he's added a range of 1/35 Samils to his site?

I've also have a few ideas for some small dios, abandoned BTR-152 & ZIL -157K, knocked out T-55.

What can you tell us about the Olifant conversion?

Baxmod web page don't tell much about it.

I'd love to build one, but I've heard about a new kit from Cromwell due soon, so I'll have to choose.

Hi Antonie, I have this conversion.

The BaxMod set is intended for either of the Tamiya, Academy or Modelcraft Mk3 Centurions. With a little more effort it will work wiith the AFV Club Cents. With the set you get a replacement turret roof, engine deck, air cleaners, turret bin, gun barrel plus a couple of other stowage bins and bits and pieces. You will still need to scratchbuild a few parts, such as the headlights and their guards and the same for the smoke grenades. Also included in the set is a decal sheet and a CD of very useful reference pictures.

Up until the release of Cromwell's conversion it was the best option for building an Olifant.

Here's a few pictures supplied by Gordon Brown from Cromwell Models of his new Olifant conversion

masterantislip1.jpg

masterantislip2.jpg

masterantislip3.jpg

masterantislip4.jpg

Needless to say I have one on order :lol:

I've just complete a couple of days of swearing, cursing and pulling my hair out whilst trimming some clear plastic sheet to shape and size for the driver's compartment. I'm hoping that Humbrol clear fix will hold it all in place when I get to the masking and painting stage. They've also received a coat of Humbrol clear green to replicate the armoured glass.

DSCF0306mm.jpg

DSCF0297mm.jpg

DSCF0299mm.jpg

I should now be able to join the upper and lower parts of the hull together. Mind you I'm not sure what I' ll do if one of those bloody clear parts comes loose after it's all glued together.

Edited by Dave

I've been working on a driver for the compartment, it's a conversion of the old Tamiya Chieftain driver. The beret I have altered to something a bit more suitable with Milliput, I won't be doing much more to him as very little will be seen once the hull halves are joined together.

DSCF0309_editedmm.jpg

DSCF0311mm.jpg

A little more fine tuning and then a slap of paint on him. After that the hull will be joined together and then major construction can finally be started.

I've almost finished work on the driver, just needs some wash on his face to give the features some definition. He could have been painted green I suppose as he's going under green glass! :lol:

DSCF0319mm_edited.jpg

You're welcome!

I got it direct from Cromwell Models, the price is £39.99 (not including shipping).

Do you have the email address? I emailed them but got no response so not sure I had the correct address...

• 2 months later...

A small update for this build, it's been on hold whilst I sort out a 'small' problem.

The wheels have always looked a little undersized, a nice level of detail - but small. So I compared one to a wheel from a much newer Ratel kit :

DSCF0326sm.jpg

DSCF0327sm.jpg

DSCF0328sm.jpg

:hmmm:

:wall: