Airfix 1/35 Challenger 2

Just got this finished this morning, it's the Airfix (Trumpeter) 1/35 Chally 2, built OOB.

This was a lingering project that I decided to get over and done with, it's my first tank, and hopefully not my last :P

I found the kit quite damn fiddly at times, namely the hoops on the rear deck, which I lost a few of.... oh well!

The fit of the rear turret was interesting, and needless to say, filler was brought into action.

I did the box KFOR scheme, using tamiya olive green and nato black. One problem I did find with the decals from Airfix,

the ones meant for the number plates were about 3 times bigger than they should have been. :blink:

So I raided the spares and came up with something, points to whoever can work out what they're off :P

I tried a Promodeller wash on the bottom to see what it'd turn out like, and just didn't get along with them on a matt surface,

instead I scraped off some brown chalk and did the wash with that, leaving a dusty look I was happy with. I think it's due

to the fine pigment size in the Promodeller washes, and using scraped chalk it had a larger pigment size, meaning it was easier

to remove from the matt finish. I finally gave the lower hull a dusting of tamiya buff.

Any comments and critiques are more than welcome :)

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

Cheers

Tim

Nice work chap. The weathering is spot on. The Scots Dragoon Guards had these in the BIG K in 2001 whilst I was there. One managed to roll over the front of a old VW Passat which tried to race the convoy...very flat fronted Passat, very annoy Cmdr as he's opnly washed it that morning. The Passat driver was ok.

Edited by benskipper

Thats very good! love the weathering, not all AFV s are covered in c**p!

In my experience biggest threat to chally 2 comes from the drivers seat !