Hawker Hunter GA11 - Revell 1/72

Here is my attempt at converting a 1/72 Revell Hunter F6 to a GA11. I bought the conversion set from FAA models which is very nicely moulded and contains both Harley light and PR10 nose, replacement gun-less bay, open airbrake and arrestor hook. However I was slightly disapointed that it does not come with a tailpipe for a less-powerful Avon engine. The FAA Hunters were mostly converted RAF Hunter F4s and as such should have a smaller bore tailpipe. Fortunately Aeroclub do an F4 conversion set that includes a tailpipe and this was what I used. I am aware the the small vents on the fuselage of the F4 are different to the F6 but I chose not to correct this. The aircraft I chose to model was a mid-60s vintage and thus pre-dated the Harley light nose.

hunterga11i.jpg

The Revell kit is very nice although I did have some trouble aligning the starboard wing. It should be foolproof but mine drooped down further than the port wing. I ended up bending it into a better position but in doing so popped open several seams bur2.gif I have another Hunter on the go and it does seem that the fit of the starboard wing needs some care to avoid this problem.

ga11e.jpg

The Aeroclub tailpipe erplaces the kit one but was maybe 1mm too narrow in diameter. I added a shim of about 1mm to the rear of the aircraft which gave me more room to blend the tailpipe in with putty if that makes sense. Thus my Hunter is a little too long but I don't think it noticeable.

hunterga11g.jpg

I made the mistake of fitting the droptanks and the little fins on them at an early stage. Every time I picked up the model I brushed against one of the fins and snapped it off. Eventually all four were gone! The kit was painted with Xtracrylix paints, XDSG over white. I mixed a little yellow in with the white as otherwise I think it looks too bright in this scale and a more ivory colour seems better.

hunterga11c.jpg

The Pegasus marking on the nose came from Modelart set 72-056. I made up the codes myself after finding a pic of this aircraft on Air Britain. Modelart decals are very nice although they need a bit of practice to avoid disasters. They definately need to be pressed down firmly over Micro-soling them, and then they will settle down further with Micro-set. I had to use a Modelart blanking roundel to avoid the colours bleeding through on the fuselage roundel. Other decals were from the Revell sheet that came with the kit. A few sticky-out things weer made from spare card and plastic rod.

ga11b.jpg

Hope you like the pics. I have added some greenery to my background but still not happy about the lack of depth of field I am getting with my camera.

hunterga11e.jpg

ga11h.jpg

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 15

Very nice Pat, looks superb.

I had a bit of trouble with the fit on the outer leading edges of the wings on the Revell, but other that mine went together really well, got 2 more in the stash!

I converted a FAA Hunter from an Airfix FGA9 before I realised the difference in the tailpipes!

Hunter GA11

I think I will probably do another from the Revell kit in time.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Thanks for the comments guys! I think the Hunter looks so much better without those silly Sabrinas!!

Simon - yes the dog tooth inserts and the wing tips are too thick aren't they. I just lined mine up on the top and sanded like hell on the underneath. The tailpipe is something that one would never notice until it is pointed out!!

Pat

Here is my attempt at converting a 1/72 Revell Hunter F6 to a GA11. I bought the conversion set from FAA models which is very nicely moulded and contains both Harley light and PR10 nose, replacement gun-less bay, open airbrake and arrestor hook. However I was slightly disapointed that it does not come with a tailpipe for a less-powerful Avon engine. The FAA Hunters were mostly converted RAF Hunter F4s and as such should have a smaller bore tailpipe. Fortunately Aeroclub do an F4 conversion set that includes a tailpipe and this was what I used. I am aware the the small vents on the fuselage of the F4 are different to the F6 but I chose not to correct this. The aircraft I chose to model was a mid-60s vintage and thus pre-dated the Harley light nose.

hunterga11i.jpg

The Revell kit is very nice although I did have some trouble aligning the starboard wing. It should be foolproof but mine drooped down further than the port wing. I ended up bending it into a better position but in doing so popped open several seams :badmood: I have another Hunter on the go and it does seem that the fit of the starboard wing needs some care to avoid this problem.

hunterga11f.jpg

The Aeroclub tailpipe erplaces the kit one but was maybe 1mm too narrow in diameter. I added a shim of about 1mm to the rear of the aircraft which gave me more room to blend the tailpipe in with putty if that makes sense. Thus my Hunter is a little too long but I don't think it noticeable.

hunterga11g.jpg

I made the mistake of fitting the droptanks and the little fins on them at an early stage. Every time I picked up the model I brushed against one of the fins and snapped it off. Eventually all four were gone! The kit was painted with Xtracrylix paints, XDSG over white. I mixed a little yellow in with the white as otherwise I think it looks too bright in this scale and a more ivory colour seems better.

hunterga11c.jpg

The Pegasus marking on the nose came from Modelart set 72-056. I made up the codes myself after finding a pic of this aircraft on Air Britain. Modelart decals are very nice although they need a bit of practice to avoid disasters. They definately need to be pressed down firmly over Micro-soling them, and then they will settle down further with Micro-set. I had to use a Modelart blanking roundel to avoid the colours bleeding through on the fuselage roundel. Other decals were from the Revell sheet that came with the kit. A few sticky-out things weer made from spare card and plastic rod.

hunterga11d.jpg

Hope you like the pics. I have added some greenery to my background but still not happy about the lack of depth of field I am getting with my camera.

hunterga11e.jpg

hunterga11h.jpg

Pat

Just a quick note. Early Hunters didn't have a smaller bore tailpipe! the difference is in the Tailpipe cover fairing!. The reason for the change was the introduction on the Mk6 Hunter of the 200 series Avon engine, which although it gave far more power than the 100 series in early Hunters, was actually shorter in overall length.

The Tailpipe of the Hunter is mounted/supported on a rail system within the rear fuselage. so when the fuselage is split for engine removal the empennage/tail can be pulled back. but the tailpipe, still attached to the engine does not move backwards with the tail. Access to the tailpipe mounting bolts is then obviously very easy.

When the 200 series engine was adopted they did not change the existing Tailpipe length as this would be a major (Read costly!) engineering change, but the tailpipe when fitted to the shorter 200 engine sat "further up" (forward) in the existing tailpipe fairing. It was found that the jet blast from the tailpipe now impinged on the existing tail fairing. so it was redesigned to allow for this (A much cheaper option than redesigning the tailpipe!).

The fairing was then modified again on the FGA9 to incorporate a brake chute.

Selwyn

• Like 2

Buy why quote the previous thread with all the pics too? :angrysoapbox.sml:

because there is a chance he (and others) dont know you can edit quotes and take them and un-needed text out before posting....

I havent looked but I'm sure there is a help topic somewhere on BM about it

And it's defo a nice Hunter that...

• 1 year later...

She's a good'un Pat and certainly looks the part.

I remember these wazzing about over the South Wales coastal areas in the 60's/70's when

I used to holiday down there with my parents.

Brings back a few memories does that.

• 2 years later...

very nice - lovely. Congrats to this build.

I am really interested in these FAA Hunters.

Defïnitely will come back with some questions about how to build such a nice Hunter.

Cheers,

Michael

Thread resurrection!! I don't feel so bad about not finishing anything now I can just pretend this is new!! Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like her. Interestingly whatever filler I used around the tailpipe has shrunk in the few years since I built this. Confirms my decision to only use Miliput from now on for major bits.

Pat

• Like 1

• 2 years later...