Vulcan/Victor idea

Jeenyus

Hi guys, first post on this board, so be nice!!

I had an idea for making a 1:72 Vulcan and Victor (if I can find one!!) and painting them in a modern camo pattern, as if they were still in RAF service. Was thinking some kind of two- or three-tone grey of my own devising...

Just a couple of questions for you all:

I am just getting back into the hobby after many, many years away, and my skills may have dipped slightly :o. Are PE sets for these aircraft, such as those offered by Flightpath, going to be beyond me?

Any tips for building them? I would rather know the pitfalls before signing away my weekends! :)

On the flight-of-fancy side:

What kind of defensive kit would these aircraft now carry (this is entirely fictional, of course...)? Would the typical ECM pods from a Tornado on external hardpoints be ok? I was thinking this, or just make various ariels/bumps to simulate built-in electronics.

What weapons could they be fitted with? Was considering Stormshadow or LGB's, with the possibility of a TIALD pod for lasing targets itself.

Again, this is entirely fictional, so go ahead and throw up some ideas!! I am open to suggestions if they sound fun...

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance!!

Hi Jeenyus, welcome to the board...You've chosen to do a couple of big projects by way of getting back into the hobby!...both have issues but I would have to say that the Vulcan is the easier and more accurate of the two. Having said that with a little patience and know how perfectly respectable models of the two mighty 'V's can be achieved. There are several builds on this site to peruse including my own for tips on how to go about this so have a good look see.

As for the FP sets they are both great enhancements to the kits (especially the Victor intakes which are a 'must have' in my book. There are several other bits and pieces for either kit so look about.

Victor,

Flightpath main set (K2) , intakes, ECM , tail 'bullet., nose pitot, u/c and wheel detail, airbrake detail, vortex generators, ladders, new cockpit frame, etc,

Flightpath (B/K1/A) New inner wing with intakes and exhausts straight fin insert, etc...

Barabrith, complete new tailplane, flaps, rudder, tailcone, (for B2 bomber or SR2 recon versions), extended ailerons and wingtips..(ditto).

Mastercasters resin replacement wheels,

Aeroclub, ejector seats,

Vulcan,

Flightpath (B2), PE set, airbrake bays, cockpit details, undercarriage details, ladders, new cockpit framing, etc...

FP Vulcan B1/A set'.PE set of above plus new resin wing inserts for phase 1 and 2 wings, vortex generators, short tailcone and rudder insert and new B1 undercarriage, (quite different from the B2)..

Aeroclub seats,

Mastercasters resin wheel set..

TwoMikes, new resin undercarriage bays and single piece engine intake mouldings...

It all depends how much you want to spend and how much experience you have with resin and photo etch!...As I say they it is a big under taking but very 'doable'...I know coz I've built a few!!

As for fitting modern weapons...don't know, it's not my field of interest but others certainly will...good luck!!

Andy...

Edited by general melchett

If you want to do an updated Victor as a combat aircraft I'm fairly sure it would need to be based on the B.Mk.2, not the K.Mk.2 with the shorter wings. Unless, of course, you just mean to do a modern tanker.

I agree with mrvr6 - ECM would be mounted internally, as there'd be loads of room and the kit is much smaller than it was when that room was first built in.

Weapons: well, the Vulcan's stealth qualities are well-known, so I'm certain they wouldn't compromise them by hanging stuff off the wings. The Shrike fit for the Falklands was a lash-up driven by time pressure. Of course, there was the Skybolt installation, and the three-Gnat plan, but they were driven by the size of the payload. A Storm Shadow is small enough to fire from a Tornado, so it will happily nestle within the bomb-bay. The Victor's was much bigger, of course, so it might have turned out to be the better cruise missile platform had it not been needed for tanker duties.

Another consideration is engines. VC10 notwithstanding, I doubt the Conway or the Olympus would have been retained. For a Victor this may not matter too much, but the thrust losses from long thin jetpipes on the Vulcan would have made newer engines less efficient than they should have been, so anotehr modification might be bigger engine fairings.

There were of course several proposals to up grade the Victors and vulcans including these which might give you some ideas...( I must admit to wanting to build the phase 6 Vulcan myself)...,

Victor, Skybolt carrier with uprated conways,

1bf5aad1.jpg

Handley Page 114 Victor 2 phase 6 with uprated turbofans...

P1100491.jpg

Mark 3 Victor

b6effa01.jpg

And Phase 4 supersonic version,

vicss1.jpg

As for Vulcan the Phase 6 (B2) , would have been next in line had not the Skybolt been cancelled,The Phase 6 Vulcan would have had a longer fuselage to accommodate a second crew for extremely long missions and provisions for bomb pods on the wings.

P1100496.jpg

P1100492.jpg

B3 phase 6 with uprated Olympus and four skybolts fitted...note the revised four wheel undercarriage and extended fairing along the top of the fuselage...

P1100494.jpg

Phase 6 (B3) showing the bomb pods in situ....

P1100495.jpg

and even a vertical take-off Vulcan (complete with no less than ten lift engines in the bomb bay)... :analintruder:

Whilst there are no drawings available this would probably have been how it looked on its first test flight,

375861172_d99e01698b.jpg

Edited by general melchett

Hi

Welcome to the site

Both are good models but, as has been pointed out already, they do require a bit of effort. The Flightpath sets are excellent but, do require a fair bit of skill & patience. I already have both the Vulcan B1 and, Victor B1 and, Victor K2 sets. I have attached photos of my Victor K2. This one was built straight from the box. There are no modifications or corrections whatsoever. As a general rule, I rarely bother with research or, go over my models with a tape measure & spend hours comparing parts with plans to measure "accuracy". As long as it looks like the intended subject, that 's the only "accuracy" test I normall bother with. I aim to achieve a good model just using what is provided.

The general fit of parts of the Victor is not marvellous - to say the least and, the intakes are a pain the a***!! I got round THAT one by taking the lazy way out - intake blanks! They aren't quite right but, they do the job good enough for me!! Yes, in case you ask, the refuelling probe IS broken!! The fit of the Vulcan parts is not great either -again, the biggest problem was getting a seamless join in the intakes. I have my own method which, I'll be happy to describe if you want details. Unfortunately, my only Vulcan went to that great hangar in the sky following an encounter with my resident feline - Kizzy the Model Mauler!!

I have in mind my own Vulcan "what if " project. The Vulcan B3. This will feature a tandem cockpit & a V-tail. Under the wings, I am going to hang a pair of "bunker busters" ! No, not those 5000lb tiddlers the USAF used in Iraq!! No, I have in mind a modern LGB "Tallboy" bomb. I'd like to do an open bomb bay as well & am wondering if the bomb bay parts from the forthcoming Airfix Valiant might be adapted?

007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

18 aircraft rolled off the production line fitted out for full Skybolt carriage, XH538 through XM612.

Hi General.

Can you tell me where I can find the Barabrith(?) set for the Victor? Sounds very worthwhile. Is this generally available or, will I have to contact the manufactured direct?

There was also a proposal for the Vulcan to carry four Gnats. If I can find the drawings, I'll post them up. So........

....Based on that........and the fact that the wings for the Gnat T2 were based on the Sea Gnat..............How about.........

..............A Royal Navy Vulcan armed with four twin seat Variable Geometry Sea Gnats each with an IFR probe just launched from HMS Ginormous looking for fuel from a very worried Victor crew up front.

Better go and take my pills.

DR

Can you tell me where I can find the Barabrith(?) set for the Victor? Sounds very worthwhile. Is this generally available or, will I have to contact the manufactured direct?

Hello Ableback52,

You can PM me if you want a set of Barabrith parts for the Victor.

However, I have just started to offer these for sale and I make these in my spare time, The response has surprised me and there is quite a backlog.

PM me if you want to go on the list.

Regards,

Terry

There was also a proposal for the Vulcan to carry four Gnats. If I can find the drawings, I'll post them up. So........

....Based on that........and the fact that the wings for the Gnat T2 were based on the Sea Gnat..............How about.........

..............A Royal Navy Vulcan armed with four twin seat Variable Geometry Sea Gnats each with an IFR probe just launched from HMS Ginormous looking for fuel from a very worried Victor crew up front.

Better go and take my pills.

DR

will a 2800 ft long carrier do for hms Ginormous?

how about a supersonic concorde engined vulcan AND victor?

Hello Ableback52,

You can PM me if you want a set of Barabrith parts for the Victor.

However, I have just started to offer these for sale and I make these in my spare time, The response has surprised me and there is quite a backlog.

PM me if you want to go on the list.

Regards,

Terry

Thanks Terry - I appreciate that. I didn't realise you were making these sets in your spare time. Best of luck in your venture - if the response has been as good as you say, you might be on to a winner!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

I don't think I will be embarking on a huge re-modelling to get a very modern looking aircraft, but maybe the enlarged fairings on the Vulcan could be incorporated. And that supersonic Victor looks awesome!!

I think I will have to take it fairly slowly to start with, as the PE sets do look a little fiddly, but I will try to get some in-progress photos up at some point. Don't hold your breath though guys, as I have plenty to keep me busy outside of messing about with bits of plastic!! :)

I did think the ECM would be onboard, but I kind of liked the idea of having something hanging off the wings. Well, artisitic licence is on my side, so maybe something will be there...

Once again, thanks guys, and I will try to keep you up-to-date as and when things happen!

Incidentally, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that does 1:72 Stormshadows/LGBs in case I decide to model the bomb doors open? I have had a quick look, and can't find any after-market items, and I would be loath to buy xxx number of Tornado/Typhoon kits to get the number required! Maybe even some normal 1,000lb-ers if I can't find anything else!

@Albeback52's Victor.....LIKE!

Edited by godders

Incidentally, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that does 1:72 Stormshadows/LGBs in case I decide to model the bomb doors open? I have had a quick look, and can't find any after-market items, and I would be loath to buy xxx number of Tornado/Typhoon kits to get the number required! Maybe even some normal 1,000lb-ers if I can't find anything else!

hullo!

i would buy a revell RAF tornado and one of revell's single seat typhoons in 1/72.

both these sets come with a wide selection of weapons. the stormshadow in the tiffy and the LGBs in the tornado kit.

you can also practice your skills before embarking on a v-bomber with these two kits.

trevor