'Sprey 'n' prey...

ursa_major

Sorry for the appalling pun in the title, but seemingly along with most of the UK's aviation 'togs we've been stalking the Ospreys at Mildenhall since the weekend. Sunday we spent 9 hours across there and were 'rewarded' with 2 engine runs but nothing more. Monday saw a single engine-run. Tuesday, we saw tons of activity around them, and 12 hours waiting including a good soaking by a passing rainshower was rewarded by 2 starting up, lifting and giving us a few pairs circuits before they departed for a look at the Norfolk/Suffolk countryside.

Sorry for the quality, the light had pretty much gone by the time they lifted at 1900ish so these are shot at high ISO/low shutter speed. These are just a first pass check of my pics, I've not been through them properly yet.

Still, we caught them. We were back today expecting another evening lift, but the weather really closed in late afternoon, and by the time we left today all 4 had their props/rotors folded up - this was the first time they've been in this configuration since their arrival, so we assumed that the crews had shut up shop for the day & weren't going to fly.

osp5.jpg

osp6.jpg

osp1.jpg

osp2.jpg

osp3.jpg

osp4.jpg

G.

Gotta love the Osprey... I wonder if there's a definitive guide to updating the later issue Italeri kit now that it's actually in service? I saw one coming in low as I arrived at Fairford a few years back, and they're impressive... of course the Spit landing straight afterwards topped it though ;)

• 3 weeks later...