Revell Gato Class Submarine

Mike M

Hi,

As someone who makes model aircraft and knows very little about submarines I was hoping that someone could help me out with some answers!

I was planning on buying Revells 1:72 Gato Class Submarine. I have read the reviews which all seem very positive about the model. It comes with markings for USS Cobia (SS-245), USS Growler (SS-215), USS Silversides (SS-236), and the USS Flasher (SS-249). I would like to make the model to represent the USS Grouper (SS-214) as it appeared in October 1942 on it's second patrol of the war. My interest comes from the fact that on 1st October 1942 it torpedoed and sank the Japanese ship Lisbon Maru. Unbeknown to the US crew the Lisbon Maru was carrying over 1800 Allied prisoners from Hong Kong. One of these was my Grandad. He was one of the lucky 800 or so who were able to escape and swim to safety.

I guess it's possible to alter the kit (if it needs altering!) but will it be a big job or is it only a few details?

If so what needs to be changed to represent the USS Grouper in Oct 1942?

Any help will be greatly received?

Cheers,

Mike

Navsource is your friend:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08214.htm

The hard part will be determining when the sail was altered from the higher-profile unit as commissioned; all Gatos received the alterations, but whether or not your boat was altered on the war patrol in question is an open question! I suspect they were done at yard availabilities, but someone with better references may have a more definitive answer.

Andy

Alton IL

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

The closest photos I have to that timeframe are photos from June and Dec 43 which show the original sail (tho slightly cut down), more free-flood holes and a 3 inch deck gun. In order to build the kit you'd need an aftermarket sail from the usual suspects (Iron Bottom Sound/Nautilus) and you'd need to drill out a **TON** more free flood holes than the kit has. Check IBS for the cutting template. Either way...it's not going to be easy. Let me know if you need any other help.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Don Murphy