Zero's Titanic Dio,

well I'll start the build posts.

I've been a Titanic fan since I was a child, from the time the guy talked about filling her with ping pong balls to refloat here in the seventy, to the times of talking to my Nans friend and her brother who lived in southhampton as children, and waved a happy farewill to the great ship, unknowning it would be sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic in under five days time, Miss Reeves and her brother often recounted the tail to me, telling me all I wanted to hear, over and over. I've always had a love of aircraft, but why Titanic, well to be honest I still don't really know, but it still has a hold on me, I have bought, and read more books on this Ship, than any single type of Aircraft, and hence it still puzzles me to this day, why. As a child I read a good few books on the Titanic, and I remember rushing home to read Raise The Titanic, what a great book, what a s***e film, but the magic was still there all the same.

When Titanic was discovered, she was little more than a batter hulk rusting three and a half miles down on the sea bed, but even then the magic never stopped for me, so this build is important to me and something I want to do, and get right. with my model aircraft, I'm happy to see them sit on a shelf, but for this build I want to do a dio, and it does have a little twist, and a clue in the text two, so I'm hopping with a couple of IC's, some wire, bulbs and resin, some work, and some stratch bulding, I can build a model that turns back time a little, but not to april the 15th, when she sank, nor to the night of the 14th, when she hit the burg.

So I'm going to wind the clockback a little further to the night of the 10th of April, ie, after the events of that day, the eventful trip out of southhampton docks, where the undertow broke the SS new york's moring ropes and only the quick thinking of captain EJ smith's reversing Titanics Engines averted a disaster there and then. A delay of an hour, or even a day could have made so much difference to this story, as would have been the case but for another more senior officer on the bridge that night, but we all know the history, and what happen. But the night of the 10th was different, Titanic stretched he mighty sea legs after sliping out of southhampton, and crossed the channel, dropping anchor just outside Cherbourg harbour, to await mail, and passengers.

that what I want to try to create, that evening (the only time in her short life) where she was seen from the shore lights blazing, flags flying in all her glory, just before the sun when down, not only on the day, but the titanic herself too.

call_at_cherbourg_744.jpg

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-cherbourg.html

Dave

Edited by zero

Sounds good. Titanica always looks better as a waterline model.

what would be really cool would be a model of SS Nomadic beside her! Maybe this google sketchup model might be enough to go on? http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/det...9773fd5d23d866c

Will

I plan to do her surrounded by a resin sea.

No models of the Nomadic or Traffic exist that I know of, specially at 1/400 scale so that means scaling photos and dimentions and scratchbuilding one. (a lot of work!) ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Traffic_(1911)

Edited by zero

• 3 weeks later...

Quiet in here! :door:

Anyway Quick update, just to say my kit is now out of the loft, and on the bench ready for work. going to get my phantoms out of the way first, but also plug away at this too, (theres a lot to do on this build so I can't leave it all to the end with this one, and I do want to finish on time.

• 3 months later...

All hold, just bought a bigger one, 1/350 scale and lots of extras

So this will be the one I build for the GB now, over the 1/400