Titanic chat!

Hi,

So what are you planning? What kit are you using? How is it going?

All the chatter goes in here!

Well, I will be using a Revell kit. Dunno what kit it is! Ive got to get it off Mike at Cosford model show in a few weeks!

well as another mod to this GB I better fess up too.

However I'm going to try to do something a little different, it involves two IC's and hopefully will be a little different from anything else I've seen built. however I have a hard yardstick to measure up to, as this is Dereks (a member of my model clubs) wonderful model of that eventful night, in 1912.

http://www.mksmc.co.uk/models/derek_barrett/titanic.html

with a good kit, some wire, bulbs, lots of resin, and quite a bit of scratch building too, I hope to make something that will be able to stand next to this, yet be totally different.

This is my kit for the GB which is just the starting point.

390494652.jpg

Dave

When I was in the US of A in 2004 I visited the Titanic exhibition in florida.

I've added to pictures of the visit, here, http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23747672

two things I remember vividly about the tour, are your tickets have a passengers name on them, when you get to the end you are asked to check you names and see your fate, it was quite erry and made you relise it was quite a lottery if you lived or died.

the second one was in the recreated bridge area there was a wall of ice, said to be the same temprature of the water that night, ie salt water freezes at a lower temp. we were invited to touch the wall for as long as we could, I did hold out the longest, and for much longer than most, but only due to years of working in a freezer, and handling frozen meat for the first ten years of my life. but it was a hollow victory, when you realise if you were in the water you had minutes to get out or freeze.

Dave

Couple of updates,

Firstly does anyone mind if we close the GB on at 2.20am on the 15th! (this was the time the Titanic slipped below the waves and it seems correct to say that should be the end of the build too. Ie if you can't make a model in a year there is really little hope.

Secondly, I have had a little go and making a banner, please feel to copy it to your free site and add it if you wish. (please don't just link to mine and kill my picture sites bandwidth. (thanks)

Dave

hi guys, first off let me apologise for the last minute.com pull out of hosting this thread. I spoke to mish at the time, but now i can let you know a little. As you may be aware i am in the RAF and work on typhoons. And as you may have seen they are now in italy , as am I. The wifi is shocking where i am staying, but will try to keep looking in as much as i can.

thx for keeping mum Mish.

now as for my build,when i get back......

a 1:350 minicraft titanic. Was going to do brass as well but my skills are not that great so i might just build it as it comes.

anyhow catch you all soonish

still willing to help in any way i can when i get back

Edited by sulky

........'Well, I will be using a Revell kit. Dunno what kit it is! Ive got to get it off Mike at Cosford model show in a few weeks!

Hi Rich,

just notice your post, here in the 'Titanic' thread.

Are you aware that the kit you ordered from me is the 'Aida' which is a modern cruise ship and not the Titanic?

cheers

Mike

hi guys, first off let me apologise for the last minute.com pull out of hosting this thread. I spoke to mish at the time, but now i can let you know a little. As you may be aware i am in the RAF and work on typhoons. And as you may have seen they are now in italy , as am I. The wifi is shocking where i am staying, but will try to keep looking in as much as i can.

thx for keeping mum Mish.

now as for my build,when i get back......

a 1:350 minicraft titanic. Was going to do brass as well but my skills are not that great so i might just build it as it comes.

anyhow catch you all soonish

still willing to help in any way i can when i get back

Shame you got ripped away from the GB but I'm sure like me, we will all wish you well and hope your back soon.

look forward to your build when you get a chance to start.

Dave

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I guess this is the best place to ask my questions.

I was contacted by a woman whos husband passed away recently. She found these complete and unbuild kits in the attick...

Minicraft Deluxe (with PE set) 1/350 th scale

DSC00918.jpg

1/570 Revell special edition with German book,glue and six paints...

DSC00919.jpg

What would be a fair price to ask for these kits to help the lady get some money back ?

Edited by Erwin

• 1 month later...

Hi All - bit slow here, isn't it? I've got some models of Titanic's sisters Olympic and Britannic to build.

I've already built Titanic, so I don't want to repeat myself, but if you guys are interested and as they're so closely related I could do a build here if no one objects?

Might spark a bit of interest and get those that have promised a build to post something?

Here's a couple of shots of the Titanic I built and posted earlier just to remind you

P1010181.jpg

P1010177.jpg

The FREE model Titanic (and her sisters) plus links to some useful webpages for Titanic modellers can be found here.

What do you think?

Dave

looks sweet, love the sea. Yep it has been a bit slow, ive been a bit busy this year....but i am slowly but surley getting going. Feel free to build either of the sisters as they are part of the same class, would be nice to see them all together if you can manage it

• 1 month later...