Sword XII & a few of Airfix I's

Hi all!

Recently bought Sword's Spitfire V.c looked very familiar to me, and, as I checked the Xtrakit's box of XII, I found info of mould maker being the same.

As I bought some pair of XII's for half the price of recent V.c, in the intention to kitbash nose of old Airfix with XII's fusselage, I changed my mind, as I realised I have no any decent griffon spit in collection, and even no seafire.

Currently started XII (I had read the rules!) will be finished along with GB, let's say, I use it as testing platform... :)

I intend to build following birds:

- Spitfire Mk.XII (EN221, December 1942, trials against EN222) Point of interest - EN221 was probably only XII with eliptic wing!

- Seafire XV (PR362, 5H, 806th sq., HMS Glory, 1947)

- Seafire XVII (probably SX273, So5O, 709th sq. RNAS St. Merryn, 1945)

Just a pic of EN221 found on the net:

Image-9.jpg

EDIT - Topic name changed as requested by Severus

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Hi all!

Recently bought Sword's Spitfire V.c looked very familiar to me, and, as I checked the Xtrakit's box of XII, I found info of mould maker being the same.

As I bought some pair of XII's for half the price of recent V.c, in the intention to kitbash nose of old Airfix with XII's fusselage, I changed my mind, as I realised I have no any decent griffon spit in collection, and even no seafire.

Currently started XII (I had read the rules!) will be finished along with GB, let's say, I use it as testing platform... :)

- Spitfire Mk.XII (EN221, December 1942, trials against EN222) Point of interest - EN221 was probably only XII with eliptic wing!

Image-9.jpg

Just to give you a taste, what you should expect:

P1000457.jpg

P1000454.jpg

P1000465.jpg

P1000456.jpg

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

First steps in the new kit...

P1000470-1.jpg

Little addendum...

Added reinforcements to down corners of bulkhead. Just waiting to set the glue (trichlorethylen), then cut to shape and ready to paint,

P1000477.jpg

Also, I decided to cut the door, as I found some more vac canopies in my stash. Comparing with V.c from Sword, XII seems somehow bald in cockpit. No map case, no throttle quadrant, no fuel valves, no gear valves... Nothing, that can't be solved by some stretched sprue, some wires, etc.

P1000476.jpg

Edited by Severus

Looking good Severus, got that kit to make myself. :thumbsup2:

That paint lid really didn't want to come open, did it!

Thanks!

Well the lid seemed... Persistent, but I didn't force it, just took bigger screwdriver. :)

BTW, I looked through my stash. I got some five or six. One simply isn't enough.

Edited by Severus

Smoke much?

It's just week collection... ;)

Kidding... I collected it during months in basement, as we had certain difficulties with boiler's gas ignition. (Flame outs, combustion passing thru collector into mixer... Terrible), until I've been able to collect spare parts and repair it. So, just yesterday I took it upstairs, in the intention to really _dig_ out the content.

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

Furnishing cockpit a little from household items.

P1000479.jpg

And cleaned instrument panel bulkhead, and gave the IP matt black coat.

P1000481.jpg

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

Some little progress:

Painting cokpit greygreen. Mixed from some Hu:95 and 78, as Hu:78 looked too dark.

P1000488.jpg

And, because of this...:

P1000486.jpg

...I made some masks for rationalising putty work:

P1000487.jpg

And something refreshing from Airfix :)

P1000485.jpg

Edited by Severus

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

Dashoboard... Not convincing, but in such scale I don't think it's worth to spend more time on it.

P1000492.jpg

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

Just a little coloring of IP. From lack of better camera, I chose two least unusable pics...

P1000498.jpg

P1000497.jpg

Hi all!

Image-9.jpg

Some progress on seats...

P1000500.jpg

Throttle quadrant (piece of sprue, wire etc.)

P1000502.jpg

Oxygen hose...

P1000503.jpg

Good stuff! You've definitely nailed that cockpit colour, looks spot-on.

Happened purely by-the-way, mixed from random amount of Hu:95 or 97 with 78. Perhaps, next time I'll use Hu:90 with drop 78, as, after some shading, cockpit looks a little dark.

Honestly said, I'm rather proud of detailing cockpit for the first time without piece of Eduard, perhaps only part I'll use, will be belts, as I'm somehow getting lazy.

Not bad Sev - some of those longerons are a little wobbly though :sour grapes:

:D

The same worried me at first, therefore I glued using CA in the first two attempts (XII #1 and V.c). As I got assured, there's not too much to see and compare straight lines with, I switched over to raw perchlorethylene or xylene.

The XII is looking very good from here.

The 21 looks to be coming together well too. What did you take The tail from - a Fujimi kit?

Not 21, but 22. ;)

And the tail - it's Airfix. Looks a little bit small, but fit is acceptable even with no putty. On the bottom, I had to add some sheet styrene, but really, nothing to be afraid of.

Just an explanation, I made this surgery in attempt to build Spit Mk.22, PK312 or PK315, as they are othh documented pretty well, having smaller (like XIV) rudder for certain period. Currently, this particular project was suspended, as I got extra fusselage from AZ Spit XVIII/XIV, and the fit 22/24 wing is quite promising.

BTW, getting the cowling together...

P1000519.jpg

Edited by Severus

Not 21, but 22. ;)

And the tail - it's Airfix. Looks a little bit small, but fit is acceptable even with no putty. On the bottom, I had to add some sheet styrene, but really, nothing to be afraid of.

Just an explanation, I made this surgery in attempt to build Spit Mk.22, PK312 or PK315, as they are othh documented pretty well, having smaller (like XIV) rudder for certain period. Currently, this particular project was suspended, as I got extra fusselage from AZ Spit XVIII/XIV, and the fit 22/24 wing is quite promising.

BTW, getting the cowling together...

P1000519.jpg

Of course, 22 not 21, now I see it. I noticed the tail transplant, and from the angle you photographed, I saw it as having the high back fuselage. It just goes to prove that the human eye sees what it expects to see.