1/32 F-100 Super Sabre (Trumpeter)

Alan P

For a few years I've been trying to make "super-kits" using all sorts of aftermarket resin and PE stuff, weird and wonderful weathering effects, scratchbuilding, superdetailing etc. I've ended up spending mega-£££'s on hyper-accurate, big grey aeroplanes, but really not getting anywhere in terms of improving the overall standard of my models - they all end up looking various shades of mediocre, and cost me a fortune with it.

So I decided to get hold of a really nice kit and just build it out of the box to try to get back to basics with my modelling skills - neater construction, more consistent airbrushing, more patient detail painting and sharper finishing.

I'm hoping to end up with something that just looks nice that i can be proud of rather than trying to be marvellous.

Hopefully this will give me back the fun of the hobby rather than trying to be impressive and losing track of why i'm doing it.

Inside - looks pretty clever until you realise none of it is visible!

tn_DSCN1758

Engine face

tn_DSCN1759

Gun bay - one side will be open

tn_DSCN1764

Ammo guides on the open side:

tn_RSCN1766

Driver's cab and panel so far

tn_DSCN1765tn_DSCN1768

Feeling better already!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

We call that AMS (advanced modeller's syndrome) and I'm starting to catch a case of it myself. I think it's made worse with the larger scale kits because they're just begging to be super-duper-hyper-overdone. Then we go onto forums and see the miracles that others achieve with them and presto! Megabuck models.

I speak from experience. I don't even want to think about how much money I've got tied-up in my latest project.... :who-let-rip:

Looks like you're off to a smashing start with your Hun, though! I hope to limit my next kit to OOB also. Or maybe just that one Eduard set.....

• Like 1

Wow, thanks everyone, loads of great replies already! :blush::wub:

model_madness said:
You using Mike Grants decals at all for the bezels?

It's the kit transparency backpainted with Gunze Aluminium - came up really clear. First time I tried it, usually use matt white - Top tip for the future!

Been cracking on before I disappear off to the wilds of Bangladesh for a week:

Got the wings together - the fit of this kit is sensational, even for such large parts - just needed a bit of liquid poly and Mr Surfacer 500 to tidy up the seams:

tn_DSCN1780

The complicated actuator strut arrangement leaves a lot of noticeable sink marks on the smooth side of the slats so I did need to putty over them a bit:

tn_DSCN1770

There's no getting away from dropping the slats on a Hun unless you are doing a maintenance diorama - they were unpowered and dropped down with gravity when the plane was on the ground. The groundcrew could manually pin them up for maintenance.

Talking about fit - there are no less than seven subassemblies to place between the fuselage halves before they are joined together, and would you believe the two halves just slotted together with a nice click, and once again didn't need any major puttying job, just a bit of Mr Surfacer again together with a bit of Tamiya putty around the front to rear fuselage join where there was a slight step.

tn_DSCN1772

tn_DSCN1776

I took the good tip of joining the front and rear halves before joining as I wasn't ever planning to show the rear end removed (an option in the kit).

Here's one last pic - a look at the test fitted wings and stabilisers (again, they are a snap fit, this kit is unbelievably good for the scale!) It's a pretty big beast, dimensionally similar to an F-16 but the centre fuselage is much bigger. It's a pretty chunky model in 1/32. (Humbrol size paint pot shown for a bit of scale!)

tn_DSCN1781

Building this kit has a feelgood factor in it already after wrestling with some monsters recently! I have to say it's a great effort from Trumpeter despite all the slagging they seem to get.

More soon, and glad you are enjoying the build too! :analintruder:

Al

Edited by Alan P

Sorry everyone this is going on hold for a while - it's just too cold out in my workshop and I can't do any spraying at all, the results so far have been horrible and I have nowhere to do it indoors.

Further progress to come later if I can grab the odd day of unseasonal mildness!

Al

Sorry everyone this is going on hold for a while - it's just too cold out in my workshop and I can't do any spraying at all, the results so far have been horrible and I have nowhere to do it indoors.

Further progress to come later if I can grab the odd day of unseasonal mildness!

Al

Take it easy, it's a bloody good build so far- PATIENCE!-back in yer SJ for a day or two...

Ed

I'm not a 'jet head' but, it's looking bloody good to me!

As Ed says, be patient, with the model and with yourself. Theres no rush and modelling should be a hobby to relax and enjoy, not a task.

Relax, build and just enjoy :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your support folks! I am enjoying this honestly! I just have to remember not to try to build my entire stash in a year...! ;)

Caught a bit of dry, warm-ish weather yesterday :D - decided to try something new with Alclad for the metal finish.

USAFE F-100s were originally bare metal, but began to be painted with Aluminium lacquer from the mid-50s. To be honest my one (Triple Zilch from the 20th FW at RAF Wethersfield) was actually lacquer painted, but I wanted to have a go at a multi-shade metalizer finish rather than just splash on the Halfords metallic silver.

Big mistake! :doh: here's why:

Started with all over Mr Surfacer 1000 on the fuselage, 1200 on the wings and flaps. Then masked off several panels and bits as shown:

tn_DSCN1801

tn_DSCN1802

Then sprayed Alclad gloss black primer and ended up with this:

tn_DSCN1803

The black went on a bit funny (a bit patchy in places despite several thin coats on a clean grease-free surface), but who am I to know it's normal or not?:wall:

So started with Alclad Airframe Aluminium on the leading edges - doesn't look quite right, but a fetching deep metallic effect, so I went with it. Then followed up with Alclad Magnesium, Duraluminium and sat back to look at my work.....

tn_DSCN1805

Then noticed the strange swirls where the black primer was. Couldn't solve it with further coats of Alclad. Tried overcoating with brushed Gunze Mr Metal Color. Nope. So sanded back to the Mr Surfacer and tried again - better but still a bit uneven. Don't know what's happening. Best results were with Gunze Aluminium sprayed on and touched up with Stainless and Chrome Silver. The flaps are really bugging me though.

tn_DSCN1806

tn_DSCN1807

tn_DSCN1808

tn_DSCN1809

Tell me what you think - the pics don't tell the whole story, the effect changes with the light. Seems to look OK under fluorescent light, sunlight is too glittery, indoor light looks quite ropey.

I'm going to accept it and try to preen it up a bit at the weathering stage - it is redeemable but my first disappointment on an otherwise textbook build!

Cheers, :beer:

Al

Edited by Alan P

What a shame - I know how it feels when so far down the line, you hit an issue like this. I dont know the reasons why, but if I were in your shoes I'd park this project for a while. The problem never seems quite so bad after a coule of weeks away from it.

Hope you mange to sort it out as I'm sure you will.

I hate that Alclad black primer with a vengeance. It gave me loads of problems on my 1:48 Lightning build. I put the primer coat on and then must have left it for close on two weeks before spraying the aluminium on top of it. It seemed to go on ok but a couple of days later when I looked the whole thing was covered in a network of fine cracks in the paint. Had to remove it all and start again. It's like the primer never seems to dry completely no matter how long you leave it. I resorted to priming with Gloss Black from a spray can in the end and then polished it with T-Cut and Micromesh to get a nice smooth base.

Ouch, its looking good nether the less mate, Alclad black has always been a bugger. Phil has the right tip, tamiya gloss black works well. I'm hoping to prime mine this weekend and will be doing a SEA scheme airframe.

Cheers boys and girls! I needed a bit of encouragement today, Triple Zilch was about to take its last flight into the wild blue yonder...

I nearly shelved it for good this afternoon when I found I'd lost a nosewheel, but as I was packing up my workspace I found it down the back of a pile of boxes (miraculous find!!) so it's game on again!

Used a bit of kitchen foil (my fave bare metal medium, beats the hell out of these dodgy metalizers) and salvaged some of the cacked paintwork

tn_DSCN1811

Used foil to have a go at the burnt metal / titanium rear section too

tn_DSCN1818tn_DSCN1815

As an experiment used Alclads and metalizers for the right side

tn_DSCN1817

I definitely prefer the foil look but its very much a work in progress for now.

tn_DSCN1811

Good news for metalizer fans - Gunze Mr Metal Color, probably the best metalizers I have used - sprayable, brushable and buffable.

Al

Edited by Alan P