Revell 1/32 Eurofighter How is it?

Rabspat

I am thinking about getting a 1/32 Eurofighter, i am thinking about the Revell offering as it's a lot cheaper. How does it build up? Is there anything that needs fixing, sorting or i should watch out?

Well it's way more accurate than the Trumpeter one for a start. Main gripe with Revell kit is the engine intakes which are basically a scale-up of those in the 1/48 and woefully short, though some intake covers would take care of that. Also the Aires jet exhausts and cockpit are both excellent and are thoroughly recommended. If you want to do a bomber version then you'll need the extra pylons too from Two Mikes, they also do intake covers and a new APU exhaust if you don't feel confident in replacing it yourself.

HTH

Andy

Hi Simon,

I have one of these on the verge of being started. Only thing I'll probably get is this:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2152

and these:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TMR32007

I may go for this:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED33065

I have a pair of Storm Shadows that will be slung underneath.

It's a lovely kit and I'll probably build more than one. :whistle:

Steve

Hi Simon,

I have one of these on the verge of being started. Only thing I'll probably get is this:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2152

and these:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TMR32007

I may go for this:-

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED33065

I have a pair of Storm Shadows that will be slung underneath.

It's a lovely kit and I'll probably build more than one. :whistle:

Steve

Seriously you'd be better off getting this:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2147

than just the seat and the Eduard set which while nicely printed just looks too flat in 1/32 and also Aires set gives far better detail behind seat etc

HTH

Andy

Rabspat its nice i was initially a little dissapointed though i cant remember why fully

but after thier tornados it seemed a little flimsy though but thats probably more to do with the nature of the craft

trumpeters offering is Way out in many respects

and this kit is as andy says is pretty spot on dimensionally

with excellently rendered panel lines and details

particularily the engine area which is much more ccurate than the trumpy one

go for it you wont be dissapointed

i would as andy said again go for the aires pit

and engine exhausts

i have just ordered the pit its a stunig peice of the master pattern makers art

and a casting sensation

the aires engines are simply stunning too

i also have the full big ed set which was bought for me with the tiffie kit when it first came out

also if you can get them the two mikes pylons though i doubt availablity now

this side of the pond due to recent events

and also try to find the

decal sheet by two bobs

"perfect storm tiffies "

i'm sure you'll enjoy the kit

jim.

than just the seat and the Eduard set which while nicely printed just looks too flat in 1/32 and also Aires set gives far better detail behind seat etc

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think your probably right. Anyone know what the score is with Two Mikes pylons?

Steve

I've got the Revell Typhoon (Eurofighter) with the Two Mikes Pylons and APU exhaust as well as the Aires exhausts. The kit is lovely but I guess I'd have to agree with a couple of the comments made here regarding flash, fit and "general feel". The TwoMikes resin is beautiful. I might be putting it up for sale on here, just waiting to hear back from someone else before making my decision. The only extras I'd consider, apart from the TwoMikes stuff, is the Aires cockpit. The service from TwoMikes is excellent, I'd recommend them very highly. O.K, it's now for sale in the "For Sale" section.

Edited by Davidf66

Ditto what everyone has said - Revell one streets ahead of the Trumpy one shape wise!

I reviewed the Two Mikes sets here - very worthwhile additions IMHO - and the intake covers mask the biggest problem with the kit.

As to Airies - I don't yet have their stuff for the Tiffie - but sure it will be a winner. Their Lightning Jet Pipes are a thing of wonder and *must* have been created on CAD/Stereo-lithography - I simply can't believe the masters were done by hand.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

HTH

Andy

Aires cockpit set just arrived from the big H. OMFG. You were so right about the detail, just what you would expect from Aires. Highly Recommended for anyone getting this kit.

Steve

Steve are you blatantly coping me ? :closedeyes:

i too have just recieved the aires tiffie pit this morning

and just for once i'd like to feel a little bit special (NO ! i dont mean retarded)

:raincloud:

:winkgrin: on a serious note

OMG !!!! steve's right what beaut !

i just dont know how they cast this stuff i mean

not just ridiuculously nails hard undrcuts but crisp and ultra fine detail

if no one else has , i 'll try to post some piccies tonight

if i can remember how to do it ?

jim.

Edited by sonofjim

Exhaust petals

DSCF9777.jpg

DSCF9779.jpg

the details are incredible !

Here we see the Exhaust pipes just look at the minute rivet details on the ribs

DSCF9783.jpg

heres the turtle deck

DSCF9787.jpg

bang seat side detail i havnt posted the front s its visible on aires's site

DSCF9786.jpg

cockpit tub and general over view of parts

included are some really nice soft rubber hoses

DSCF9790.jpg

DSCF9792.jpg

i didnt include pics of the etched parts either just for saving space

but these are foot pedals and bang seat harness mostly

hope you like the pics and theyre not to big (Mods)

jim.

Thanks for the info gents, the other half has asked me nicely to hold off on this just now, so she let me get the 1/48 to keep me happy for now. She has promised i can get the big brother in a couple of months with all the trimmings :analintruder::frantic::yahoo: .

I'm building one of these at the moment and would make the following observation . . .

The kit is a bit of a dog.

I've not used any after market stuff, and I accept at face value that the outline shape may be very accurate.

As a kit however it was a surprising dissapointment to me, I've built the new tool Revell 1/32 Phantom and Hunter, both were excellent, crisp mouldings that fitted together well, I expected the Typhoon to be of the same standard but it most certainly is not.

Surface detail is to be fair not bad, the panel lines are nice and crisp however some of the parts are not and there was a surprising amount of flash on my example. Fit of parts is in places appauling, the airbrake and leading edge slats for example, not a problem if modelled open but try to have them closed and be prepared to spent a fair amount of time filling, sanding and re-scribing. There are comments above about the intakes and it would seem that the same lack of thought by Revell applies to other parts of this kit.

I can't quite understand what has happened here, this model (and also the new 1/48 mostquio, which has the same 'feel' to it) seemed to appear on the market with little notice, did Revell rush these into production without sufficient time on development?, I have to say it feels like it.

Unfortunatly we are not spoilt for choice, the kit looks OK in the box but I would advise you lower your expectations before you reach for the glue!

Si.

i have to agree si

it feels flimsy as i said .i probably have enough flash to mould a second kit too .

and my panel lines dissapear into nothing on the top of the fuselage

luckily i'm no stranger to re-scribing and filler but i wouldnt therefore

recommend it to anyone looking for a shake and bake or has little experience

on mine the wings are crisp and everything else is fine apart from theflash as mentioned

however so thanks for the heads up

i'll proceed with caution when attacking this with glue , and err filler

and sandpaper and perhaps a cattle prod :wicked:

Rab as an aside point the 1/48 kit is super nice i think

i have acouple i'm sure you'll enjoy it and

it'll be a good intro to the tiffie for when you get the bigger

one

jim.

Here's a link to my build thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...9&hl=Tiffie

Most of what I would say has already been said, but I will add the following comments:

Simon G is quite right that it isn't up there with the Revell Phantom or Hunter in terms of quality and I was very disappointed in that. However, at £50 it isn't bad and if you're prepared to put some work into it that shouldn't put you off. In terms of accuracy it is the only way to go. There's so much wrong with the Trumpeter kit (which is twice the price) that you'd have to pay me to build it!

The Aires cockpit looks lovely - that's the first time I've seen it - and it will clearly add a great deal to the model. I will say that I don't think it is "essential" to a good build, however, as provided the kit cockpit is painted well it will look good.

The Aires exhausts are a touchy subject with me. First of all there's the "early" and "late" versions - no such thing on the real engines as far as I am aware. Also there's the fact that pretty much all of the fine detail on the nozzles is hidden when they are assembled, which makes it a bit of a waste, and the fact that the set "sized" for the Revell kit don't fit. Seriously, I had to ream out shedloads of plastic to get them in and I still had to force them into the rear of the fuselage. The set sized for the Trumpeter kit are apparently a drop-in replacement though. Those quibbles aside, they do look the business when painted and are far superior to the kit nozzles. Definitely an essential item if you want a good looking Tiffie.

The bits from TwoMikes are brilliant and I can't recommend them highly enough. I used the FOD guards, which are essential due to the rather poor effort at intake trunking (ie none at all) from Revell, the APU exhaust and the inboard pylons. All are superb and really bring the model to life. TwoBob's decals are also excellent and much better than the kit decals in my opinion.

Edited by Bobski

yeah bobski i was scratching my head a little on the "early /late" statement for the exhausts

but aires are known for doing that sometimes ,sometimes packaging the same pits as different things

the phantom 48 scale FG1 cockpit for one IIRC ?i know some details differ on the aires sets of exhausts but most will be covered when complete

though not sure about the particulars on that one ,

the exhausts seem to fit fine on mine but only dry fitting yet the real proof is in the building

i suppose its up to the individual to decide if theyre worth replacing or not

i'm just an AM freak at the best of times :hobbyhorse:

until VERY recently i was ging to go for the kit pit

with some eduard thekits pit is ok as is i think

and would be very nice aproached well again its a choice thing i suppose

jim.

quic edit forgot to add VERY VERY nice build Bobski

if i can get closee to that i'll be very happy indeed

Edited by sonofjim

yeah bobski i was scratching my head a little on the "early /late" statement for the exhausts

but aires are known for doing that sometimes ,sometimes packaging the same pits as different things

the phantom 48 scale FG1 cockpit for one IIRC ?i know some details differ on the aires sets of exhausts but most will be covered when complete

though not sure about the particulars on that one ,

the exhausts seem to fit fine on mine but only dry fitting yet the real proof is in the building

i suppose its up to the individual to decide if theyre worth replacing or not

i'm just an AM freak at the best of times :hobbyhorse:

until VERY recently i was ging to go for the kit pit

with some eduard thekits pit is ok as is i think

and would be very nice aproached well again its a choice thing i suppose

jim.

quic edit forgot to add VERY VERY nice build Bobski

if i can get closee to that i'll be very happy indeed

Thanks :) I'm still trying to get some decent photos taken and uploaded, but I'll get them up as soon as I can.

The only difference I have seen between the two Aires nozzles is on the inside the petals on the exhaust, which is completely hidden when the exhausts are assembled. As I say in my build, at first I wasn't convinced that they were worth the money, but now I've finished the build I've come round to thinking that they are essential to get the kit to look its best. That said, the fit into the fuselage was really annoying, which is a problem I've had a few times with resin from Aires...

your tiffie looks great for them exhausts mate,

theyre a lovley peice of casting and masterwork ,

sometimes aires suffers from shrinkage but it sounds like they were too big

in your case mate . still i suppose thats what modelling is all about

:rolleyes:

your tiffie looks great for them exhausts mate,

theyre a lovley peice of casting and masterwork ,

sometimes aires suffers from shrinkage but it sounds like they were too big

in your case mate . still i suppose thats what modelling is all about

:rolleyes:

My then-housemate certainly learned a few new swear words while I was trying to fit them!