Armored regiment HQ Company

glen davis

Hi All

I'm building a 00 scale model of a GWR war transport train. The insparation comes from this web site gwr

My Question is can someone tell exactly me what vehicles, type and numbers are used in a british amoured HQ company during ww2?

Glen

Which part of WW2? It will clearly be considerably different in 1939 from 1945. I think you also need to be a little more precise in your terminology. An armoured regiment doesn't have companies, but squadrons.

There are a series of books from Helion which gives the order of battle to the level of detail that you ask, but I don't have all of them, because I was more interested at the time in the support levels, and these were glossed over. However, in May 1940, France, the 1st Armoured Division Armoured Brigade HQ had 10 tanks and/or Vickers Mk.VIB, 3 staff cars or Daimler scout cars, 1 mockup 4x4 ACV. According to Helion 1, which I suspect is light on administrative support.

By 1944, Vanguard 7 describes the Armoured Brigade HQ as being made up of three groups

Command: 4 Sherman HQ tanks, 6 Sherman defence tanks, 2 armoured cars, 9 scout cars and three bridging tanks (Valentine scissors)

Office & Recce: 2 Jeeps, 15cwt wireless, 15cwt office, 15cwt GS, 6 motorbikes

Admin: 6 Jeeps and cars, 8 motorcycles, 15cwt water, 15cwt wireless, 2x15cwt GS, 9x3ton GS

Below this you have the Regimental HQ which is described as having

4 tanks, 1 halftrack, one car,

plus attached signal troop of 3x15cwt and a 3 tonGS

plus REME LAD of 3x15cwt 1xhalftrack, 2x3ton, 2xScammell Recovery tractors

and an HQ Squadron of

2 jeeps, 1x15cwt

plus admin troop 8 motorcycles, 6 jeeps, 3x15cwt GS, 15cwt water, 3xmedic halftracks, 2xfitter's halftracks, 16x3ton

plus Recce Troop of 11 Stuarts

plus Intercom Troop iof 6 scout cars

plus AA Troop of 6xCrusader AA.

There are a couple of other works giving this detail for the Normandy campaign.

Hi All

I'm building a 00 scale model of a GWR war transport train. The insparation comes from this web site gwr

My Question is can someone tell exactly me what vehicles, type and numbers are used in a british amoured HQ company during ww2?

Glen

Hi Glen,

Try this website

http://truxmodels.co.uk/index.html

It should just about sort you out for anything from '44 onwards

Bob

Edited by Robert A