NF-5?

davidsm

In 1/72, no NF-5's unless you count the PM kit which comes with Turkish markings anyway.

The only other option is Airfix's ancient offering. I think Frog/Hasegawa may also have done one of a similar vintage. Otherwise you have to do some serious hacking to Esci Airfix or Italeri F5-E's. I have no idea how much work is involved but would suspect it's not viable.

In 1/48 Testors? AFV club?

MH

The ESCI F-5A and F-5B kits, if you can find one, is actually a nice kit and one or two issues had Dutch markings. It has been in the Italeri box last year I think and the 2 seater in the Revell box.

Happy Hunting.

The ESCI/Italeri F-5A is in fact an NF-5A.

This is what I wrote on SMAKR (http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/60s/f-5a_ital.htm) some years ago.

"The plastic, as supplied in the box, is for a Dutch NF-5A. The Dutch NF-5A has small louvres (Venetian blinds) on the rear fuselage and tear drop shaped ECM fairings on the fin. ECM fairings with this shape are unique to the NF-5, while the louvres are present on Dutch NF-5s and Canadian CF-5s but no other F-5As.

To build an early F-5 from the other countries in 'Aircraft History' these two items must be removed.

Norwegian F-5s were the first to be fitted with a tailhook, though this was retrofitted to earlier F-5s. Those delivered, for example, to Libya did not have the tail hook, if they were retrofitted I do not know.

Initially all F-5 were visually identical, with the exceptions noted above. Later many were updated both externally and internally. Norwegian F-5, for example, got a new F-16 like cockpit, they were used as lead in trainers for the F-16. They got flare pods, like the ones in the kit. ECM fairings were added to the fin, though of a different shape from the Dutch, while the nose ECM fairings were also different, and different on the one and two seaters respectively. Building updated F-5As requires close reading of ones references as most of the users had their own unique projects for updating their F-5s."

Anders

The only other option is Airfix's ancient offering. I think Frog/Hasegawa may also have done one of a similar vintage.

They did, or better Hasegawa did and Frog reboxed. Both the F-5A and the two seater are probably still in Hasegawa catalogue. None of the two is worth searching IMHO, the Esci kits are so much better !

I migt be wrong, bt IIRC the PM kits are based on the old hasegawa ones

Edited by Giorgio N

The ESCI F-5A and F-5B kits, if you can find one, is actually a nice kit and one or two issues had Dutch markings. It has been in the Italeri box last year I think and the 2 seater in the Revell box.

Yes, they're little gems. Some of the best ESCI ever did - not forgetting the Harriers/Sea Harrier of course.

Anders is correct!

Esci/Italeri kits are actually NF!

I think Turkish Stars birds are ex-Dutch birds...

So external differences are,

ECM fairings on tail,ALE40,louvres at the side of fuselage,tailhook,a little different control panel and cockpit details and a two position front wheel.

I cant remember what ejection seat the Turkish Stars had retrofitted..

Anders is correct!

Esci/Italeri kits are actually NF!

I think Turkish Stars birds are ex-Dutch birds...

So external differences are,

ECM fairings on tail,ALE40,louvres at the side of fuselage,tailhook,a little different control panel and cockpit details and a two position front wheel.

I cant remember what ejection seat the Turkish Stars had retrofitted..

Your right about the fact that the TS are ex Dutch birds.

If the kits are correct, I don't know.

1/72 is not my scale, but in 1/48 or in 1/32 scale there are NO kits out at the moment.

Classic airframes did one in 1/48 and for the 1/32 fans there is the conversion of Belcher Bits (I think).

Waiting for better times is the best option for me

Frank

hi Frank,

They are the best in 1/72 scale.And the only game in town.You know... a good NF-5A/B is a DUTCH NF-5A/B, because they were devolept for the Dutch.