Face mask for Airbrushing ?

Mr Durden

Hi folks

Im getting into airbrushing and would like your feedback on safety issues with it. The first one

Is use of a face mask, I have read here you should be using a half face mask and safety glasses

as the cumulative effects of the paint and thinners can be pretty bad for you. Keeping this in mind

Would there be a particular mask I should be looking at, as further down the track I don’t really

Want any health issues because of my lack of planning now? .

Thanks for the feedback

Dave

I got one from Halfords which wasn't expensive.

It's the type with two filters sticking out to the sides and angled down about 30-40 degrees. Is it the right one? no idea, but I do know that spray Alclad without it = thumping headache, with it, no headache.

I'm no scientist, but it works for me.

Steve.

I am glad you are taking the precautions, as the previous person said get a good quality face mask with the 2 filters, and it may be best also to invest in a spray booth if you have not got one already, I only spray acrylic paint but it still needs the same precautions as using enamels.

I'm reading this with interest as I only spray acrylics and had read that a normal painters style dust mask was all that was required. If this is not the case then I'd better get down to halfords or B&Q before I do anymore spraying!

Being shortsighted, I normally wear glasses (and have a beard) and having been using this mask from Airbrushes.com,....

Respirator_002.jpg

... since I failed to find a replacement set of filters for my original 3M mask.

Respirator_001.jpg

I use Cellulose thinners a lot and in combination with my spray booth most of the nasties are kept out of my lungs.

When I first started out, for my first paint session, I was spraying Tamiya Acrylics with their thinners and I was only using a dust mask - I ended up giving myself a Migraine, so I bought the 3M mask and have used a proper vapour mask ever since. (and no spray related headaches)

I went through this when I started.

Bought a face mask from halfords, went back to get a new filter.....sorry sir we don't stock that one any more.

So now I stock masks, I have chosen two that are good value for money and filters are available for.

An entry level single cartridge mask priced at £6, spare filtes £3

And the second is the Scot Profile 2 mask. Twin cartrighes, silicon rubber, so no problem with any rubber alergies.

Also is available in small medium and large, so you can get one that fits your face, even if you ware glasses.

Price £26 for the mask, pair of spare filters £13.

scottp2.jpg

I have them on my stand at shows if antone would like to try them for size.

Blimey, I must be in a dreadful condition, as I've never worn a mask when spraying or even used a spray booth over the last 20 years, oh and I smoke at the same time, never suffered from headaches or other maladies.. I do try and keep the room well ventilated, but sometimes even that isn't possible. Good job my lung function checks at work are still well over the predicted level. As for goggles, don't spray towards your face.

The big thing with any face mask is to be sure to have the cartridge filters matched to whatever the nasty stuff is that you're spraying. Ideally the mask supplier should be able to tell you but if it sounds like they're unsure or flannelling you with the "this mask is for everything" type of line, do some checking, maybe with the masks manufacturers or wholesalers, or an industrial safety supply shop. There are different filters for different substances & one type DOES NOT do everything. I'd be surprised if the same filter was recommended for laquer thinners & cellulose thinners but may be wrong too.

Steve.

Morning All

Ok gents this is good stuff, I am convinced a two cartridge filter is the way to go (Ease of breathing) and if possible an appropriate cartridge for what ever the

type of paint/ thinner/substance you are going to possibly inhale- with spares to match. Silicon rubber mask now all I have to do is find someone out this way

that supplies said item. I hope anyone else reading this thread can add they’re experiences to it as I think this is an important issue for us all.

Dave

I dont always use a mask. it bugs me & after a while gives me a head ache. If i do its when im using enamels, laquer and when cleaning. When i dont use i feel a bit flushed or dizzy. When spraying, esp at high pressure, the spray bounces off and comes into your face without knowing. Acrylics i dont use since their more enviromentally friendly.

Its important to use glasses. When i dont use glasses i get blurred eyes and they feel dry and saw. like when yo get up in the morn. Its very important when using airbrush cleaner since it comes out at force and can jump out at you.

The following example shows you why you SHOULD USE GLASSES .... i put on my glasses, got out my badger AB cleaner, put the nozzle in the airbrush, sprayed some and the cleaner shot back from into the airbrush, onto my right eye! thank god the safety glasses saved my eye and took the blow. Now image what wud have happened if i DIDNT wear the glasses.. :pirate: I hope you all take a leaf out of my book an start taking precautions!

why you SHOULD USE GLASSES ....

It's good advice. I'm a speccy-four-eyes anyway, but I've posted before about the lid of an Xtracolour tin flying off and painting a nice high speed silver splodge on my glasses right in front of where my bare eye would have been. I've also bent over and poked my glasses with the open top of a superglue bottle - that one doesn't bear much thinking about!

Steve.

Hi Dave,

picture the scene.... You are spraying (enamel or acrylic) and when you have finished you clean your spraygun.

Have you noticed how quickly the paint has set around the cup and on the needle opening etc? and how difficult it can be to clean it off?

Now consider that same effect in your nose, throat and lungs. Those extremely fine particles are virtually invisible, therefore we think they are not there.

Over time that layer will build up and you can't just use a scraper or solvent to clean the stuff in your throat and lungs etc.

Discussions here tend to focus on the chemical effect of these paints (strong smells and headaches etc) but those invisible paint droplets in the air can be just as damaging.

So, get yourself a quality mask and soon.

cheers

Mike

When spraying alclad/metalizers, you can see all the aluminum particles flying in the air under the light! almost like Tinkerbell flew by. breathing with these light particles around is like air molecules in an air intake. imagine how much enters our lungs. i always wear a mask when using these ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I went through this when I started.

Bought a face mask from halfords, went back to get a new filter.....sorry sir we don't stock that one any more.

So now I stock masks, I have chosen two that are good value for money and filters are available for.

An entry level single cartridge mask priced at £6, spare filtes £3

And the second is the Scot Profile 2 mask. Twin cartrighes, silicon rubber, so no problem with any rubber alergies.

Also is available in small medium and large, so you can get one that fits your face, even if you ware glasses.

Price £26 for the mask, pair of spare filters £13.

scottp2.jpg

I have them on my stand at shows if antone would like to try them for size.

I've got one of these and they're good bits of kit. Like Paul I went back to Halfords looking for new filters and had to buy a new mask. Paul does stock replacement filters.

I also spray into a basic spray booth with extractor fan as well as using a mask. Doesn't matter whether it's acrylic, cellulose or enamel...you don't want it in your lungs.

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but...

Being shortsighted, I normally wear glasses (and have a beard) ....

A RUBBISH excuse for having a beard! :P

As for goggles, don't spray towards your face.

And a brilliant tip! :lol:

You have lungs of iron too!

And now back on topic...I think it's fairly worthwhile to wear the old masks, as it's not just the paint you're spraying, it's also thinners etc. I'm no medical expert, but I don't think it's advised to inhale that rubbish. I don't get to do a lot of spraying as I don't really have anywhere to do it, so have to wait for a nice calm day and go outside at the moment, but I still wear a mask.

I don't normally wear goggles though, unless I'm standing upwind!