Bristol Type 188

Hi guys, thought I'd share my new project. Its the Bristol Type 188, a supersonic research aircraft from the early 1960's. Having seen Cosford's example many, many times, and being totally blown away by its beauty (only bettered by the TSR-2 in my books), I really wanted to add a little bit of extra detail to the kit. Being solid resin though has meant that I've had to employ some lateral thinking.

The kits cockpit is simply a recess in the fusalage with no instrument panel or interia detail except for a white metal seat. I can see why this is, as with the canopy closed nothing at all would be seen anyway. But Whirlykits hadn't accounted for the fact that Muppets like me would be building thier kit :thumbsup:

So, my first area of detailing was to be the cockpit. To give maximum access to this area I first seperated the fusalage at the front of what would be the instrument combing. This would then give me a nice clear space to work on both the tub and the instrument panel

Seperatedfusalage.jpg

Next up I drilled out the forward bulkhead where the instrument panel should be

Drillingoutforwardbulkhead.jpg

When the area had been cleaned up this is what I was left with

Forwardbulkhead.jpg

I am just completeing the instrument panel now, and will then start on the main tub.

Mark

I have photos, should anyone want them, 60+. I was given full access, a few years ago, so got the cockpit, wheel wells, open airbrakes, and some externals. The hood was held open by a lump of wood, so it was a little nerve-wracking, especially when I was told it was at my own risk.

Edgar

I love the look of this aircraft, but it'd scare the hell out of me trying to do that Stainless Steel finish! Incidently, I've just posted some pics from Cosford in the Aviation Photography section and there's a shot of the 188 in there...

Karl.