Pink Gin Palace

Rummaging through a drawer the other day, I came across a stripped casting of a Navis/Neptun 1/1250 scale collectors model. Some of you may have seen these models,many probably not. Either way,they are not generally considered "models" rather than collectors pieces-often erroneously described as "diecast",something they are most definitely not. Anyway, some years ago I foolishly stripped some of these things back with the intention of repainting them, 10+ years on......

This one was of HMS Manchester,a WW2 light cruiser of the Southampton class. She was lost in 1942,while operating on the Pedestal convoy. Disabled by a torpedo from an Italian MTB,she was eventually scuttled. At the time of her loss she carried several Army 40mm Bofors guns,in standard Army mounts,bolted to the deck. The model carries one,mounted on top of B turret.

NeptunManchester1.jpg

Fist job was to clean the casting,and replace several items I felt needed improving.

NeptunManchester2.jpg

Masts were rebuilt with brass ,and etch bits and pieces.

To be continued .....Don't worry,this is going to be short!)

mtd :)

I thought the bow rake excessive,so corrected with plastic card and Milliput. The secondary mounts had their gun barrels removed and replaced with 12thou brass wire. Hull and deck defects filled.

NeptunManchester3.jpg

I replaced the cast on 20mm mounts with some of my own,etched 20mm-these have separate shields and are a challenge to fit. I have to laugh when I hear of someone moaning about doing this in 1/350 ! They don't show up very well on the photos,but they are there.

NeptunManchester4.jpg

A close up of midships. The original master model maker that made this ( and the others) was a genius. The casting,even 20 years on,is seldom seen outside of the best 1/1250 scale models. I have never seen this technology used anywhere else in model production,it being generally centrifugal casting that most modellers will be familiar with.

On to the paint shop.

I have never painted a ship model in Mountbatten Pink,and was stumped at first as to what colour to use. I fished around and came up with what I think is a reasonably accurate mix. The Snyder and Short paint swatches show a much darker,mauve tinted colour,but I wanted to lighten it up for scale appearance.

NeptunManchester5.jpg

The model has been primed over and under,and then airbrushed in a mix of Vallejo Model Colour paints,heavily thinned. My ones were quite old,and very thick,like custard. I don't know if this is normal,but I can't really see this stuff brush painting in this thickness. It does airbrush very nicely when thinned though. The colours I used were 870 Medium Sea Grey and 946 Dark Red-check the names if you want to use this mix,as here they are sold as Prince August paints,but are made by Vallejo.I don't know the UK names. Mix was about 2:1 grey/red.

Done and dusted-weathered,varnished etc. Walrus a bit garish perhaps,but couldn't find a camo pattern for it,so made it up.

NeptunManchester9.jpg

On to the next...

Amazing...

I find it very humbling to see such detail and precision in something so tiny - both in terms of the original castings and the work you're putting in.

Simply amazing!!!

Iain

Beautiful work! Stunning work for such a small scale. Makes my eyes hurt just looking at it......

Cheers,

Don