RN Jeeps on HMS Formidable 1945

iang

I've finally found a photo showing the Willys Jeeps embarked on Formidable as deck tractors for operations off Japan. These were either taken on charge at Sydney or Manus in June 1945.

My question is what colour are they? Olive Drab or have they been repainted blue. The three wheel deck tractors parked above the Jeeps are medium blue (there is an colour IWM photo from summer 1944).

img474.jpg

They were so extensively modified that they would most likely have been repainted overall. They would have been repainted in British OD, not dark green. British OD is different to American OD. Very early conversions were probably painted in Special Camouflage Colour No2, which is a brown colour. There's a lot of discussion on this topic on other forums. For a good summary of British AFV colours, see

http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

Although OD is the likeliest colour for the jeeps, if obtained from USN sources they may be in other colours: Ocean Gray being perhaps the likeliest. (Note: that's USN Ocean Gray not RAF Ocean Grey.)

I'm not familiar with USN colour names but I'm fairly sure that the grey used on USN Jeeps was a light grey, not far off Medium Sea Grey in shade. It would appear much lighter than the colour of those in the photo.

There a good photo of a RN Jeep here: http://www.life.com/image/50481551 it doesn't help identify the colour though.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

I'm not familiar with USN colour names but I'm fairly sure that the grey used on USN Jeeps was a light grey, not far off Medium Sea Grey in shade. It would appear much lighter than the colour of those in the photo.

There a good photo of a RN Jeep here: http://www.life.com/image/50481551 it doesn't help identify the colour though.

Dear Ivor,

Just out of interest, the Missing Lynx site has a short thread on that particular jeep:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/threa...Royal+Navy+Jeep

Just to prove that it's not only we aircraft enthusiasts that notice the details.....

The flight deck photo seems to suggest that the jeep bonnets were perhaps painted in a much lighter colour, as are seemingly the tops of the vehicles behind them.

The colour seems to be consistent on flat the top surfaces of all of them, so I don't think it is glare.

The colour of the bridge and visible superstructure is presumably a lightish grey and the lower parts of the jeeps certainly seem a lot darker in tone.

As to OD or blue, it is open to conjecture. Knowing the military penchant for zealously painting and identifying their own property, I'd opt for the blue....

John

Dear Ivor,

...The flight deck photo seems to suggest that the jeep bonnets were perhaps painted in a much lighter colour, as are seemingly the tops of the vehicles behind them.

The colour seems to be consistent on flat the top surfaces of all of them, so I don't think it is glare.

The colour of the bridge and visible superstructure is presumably a lightish grey and the lower parts of the jeeps certainly seem a lot darker in tone.

As to OD or blue, it is open to conjecture. Knowing the military penchant for zealously painting and identifying their own property, I'd opt for the blue....John

iang, I would agree with John. If the Jeeps were assigned to the ship then I can only image that they would have been re painted a RN color, as no self respecting Naval vessal is going to allow Army colors on board-unless being transported. Just my opinion, but in my experance with the military, painting/repainting was a normal part of life.

iang, I would agree with John. If the Jeeps were assigned to the ship then I can only image that they would have been re painted a RN color, as no self respecting Naval vessal is going to allow Army colors on board-unless being transported. Just my opinion, but in my experance with the military, painting/repainting was a normal part of life.

Many thanks for all your replies. My view tends toward re-painting in blue too. The 1841 Squadron Diary makes mention of the Jeeps, but says nothing about how they were painted. However, from this diary, it is clear that both 1841 and 1842 Squadron were fastidious about the appearance of their Corsair IVs (as well as their serviceability and performance). They were regularly polished and there was clearly some inter-ship rivalry about how "smart" they looked in comparison with Illustrious’ and Victorious' "clapped-out" old Corsair IIs. Much time was spent by some pilots personalising their Corsair IVs with motifs and names (some specific aircraft are mentioned, though I've yet to find a clear photograph of any of them). All of this adds to my feeling that OD Jeeps wouldn't have been tolerated.

• 7 years later...

I don`t know if these help in any way,..... but here is a DUKW operated by HMS Implacible which looks to be repainted grey to me?;

c0bf00a4-7537-410a-906b-5a39356fd99d.jpg859bc27d-5d00-4815-ac4c-63b20fd81cb3.jpg

Cheers 

Tony

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Haha indeed.

I’d love to model a jeep with my FAA collection, @iang would you mind reposting it?

So Nick, a Jeep towing a bulled up Corsair IV on board HMS Formidable next to an Elephant towing a knackered Corsair II at HMS Bambara (RNAS Trincomalee) - could make interesting comparison standing side by side...

• Like 1

Haha yes indeed! I managed to buy an elephant fairly recently from a local toy shop that looks roughly 1/48, I think its even an asian one too!

Fifi the elephant was Puttalam based, I just read a FAA pilots account of his time out in the Fleet fighter pool. The book was called ‘Oops’ and relayed a story where Fifi was tasked to pull a corsair out of some soft ground and back onto the runway. A well dressed officer was standing to the rear of said elephant. As she strained to pull the corsair, her bowels relaxed and....... all over the officer! Now that would be a diorama!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

in 1/72nd as well:

https://www.cmkkits.com/en/figures/129-f72327/

CMK/Special-Hobby from the Czech Republic are doing these resin-cast kits

Cheers

Michael

On 03/03/2019 at 17:50, Scooby said:

Can you post this Jeep image again?

I've searched for the digital version without success. I have the original in a photo album compiled by a crew member, but all my photos are packed away at the moment and I can't get at them. I'll repost when I can - probably after Easter.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2019 at 12:48 AM, tonyot said:

I don`t know if these help in any way,..... but here is a DUKW operated by HMS Implacible which looks to be repainted grey to me?;

c0bf00a4-7537-410a-906b-5a39356fd99d.jpg859bc27d-5d00-4815-ac4c-63b20fd81cb3.jpg

Cheers 

Tony

That's interesting, can go alongside the Army, RM and RAF Dukws! There is a book to be written on British use of the DUKW, that one is slightly intruiging as it looks darker than the standard RASC/RM grey they were painted in. Do you have a date/location?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

That's interesting, can go alongside the Army, RM and RAF Dukws! There is a book to be written on British use of the DUKW, that one is slightly intruiging as it looks darker than the standard RASC/RM grey they were painted in. Do you have a date/location?

1945-46 mate,.......BPF based in Australia.

• Like 1

There is evidence that RN DUKWs at D-Day were painted in a grey blue colour. I wonder if they were regarded as 'ships/boats' rather than vehicles?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/rn-dukw-colours-t94798.html

and the war artist painted them grey

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/3288

PS when filing it I discovered that I already had the first pic! The mind is going........

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Haha 1