Best Kits For Vietnam Era Aircraft

Rosenberg92

Hello all,

Currently undertaking a Vietnam research project for University, I decided to dedicate it to weaponary and hardware, more specifically aircraft. I have now taken to a huge love of Vietnam era aircraft, the Cessna A-37B Dragonfly and OV-10a Bronco from Academy were both excellent, and brimming with weaponary to make them look mean.

Question is, now I am so in love with these aircraft, what are the best out there? I am on a slightly limited budget but who makes the best Vietnam era OOB (including decals and weaponary but these are not too much of an issue if they can be obtained from elsewhere) Vietnam aircraft? I.E. just who makes the best F-4 Phantoms, A-7 Corsairs, F-5's, A-6 Intruders, F-100 Super Sabres, F-105 Thunderchiefs, and F-104 Starfighters?

I do hope to add all these to my collection in Vietnam colours and markings, and yes it could take some time, but why not? The only thing is, who do I go with?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

All the best,

Dan.

1/72 F-100 you have trumpeter or italeri, personally i prefer the italeri one (half the price of the trumpeter one, with a little work will build into a gem, i built one http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=64995), but im sure others will disagre

1/72 F-105 trumpeter without a doubt, have it in my stash and its beautiful

1/72 A-7 tough one, but again personally i would go for the hobbyboss it if you can live with a few minor inacuracys, again i have it in my stash and its stunning.

1/72 A-6 intruder, i think you only real choice here is Fujimi, correct me if im wrong, but again a stunning kit.

1/72 F-104, hmmm tough one, im looking for one myself, i have the italeri F-104G (export not in Nam) and its a great lil kit, (cheap too), if you can live with a slightly differnt tail, and canopy, then you can have the G model and sorta say it was there, if you want the proper mark though, im not too sure.

you are also missing from your list:

Voodoos

F-8

for the voodoos, if you can find them Revel 1/72 F-101B and Hasagawa 1/72 RF-101

for the F-8 Academy do a pretty good job of it in 1/72

for the Phantoms, im still looking but from what ive heard the new tool 1/72 F-4s from Hasegawa are meant to be rather good, but very expensive, im still on the lookout myself.

F-5...have not got a clue, sorry.

think thats about it, hope it helps, pleas ebaer in mind this is biased as i own most of the kits i suggested, and its just my humble opinion

Just to add somemore info to the already good one provided:

F-100: I agree that the esci/italeri/revell kits are better than trumpeter's in many respects.

F-101: only the RF-101C served in Vietnam and there's only one choice: the old hasegawa kit

F-102: they served too, and again only hasegawa has an old one in 1/72. 1/48 modellers have a very good monogram/revell kit

F-104: the hasegawa kit is the best, closely followed by revell. I'm not sure hasegawa did the C version used in vietnam, but revell did and it appeared in a monogram box too. The Esci/AMT/Italeri kit is not bad either.

F-111: the A version served in Vietnam. The very best is the hasegawa kit, still one of the best 1/72 kits ever. It's also very expensive, and a decent enough alternative is from Esci. Decent but far from the gem that is the hasegawa one...

Phantoms: the revell F-4F is very good and can be used as a basis for an E. However decals and some parts need be found elsewhere... hasegaws are The very best, with esci ones being quite good too. Better than the Esci kits are the monogram kits: nicely detailed, they have raised panel lines and only represent the C and J versions.

F-8: the academy is great ! Hasegawa and Esci/italeri kits are not. The heller kit is nice but has raised panel lines and rivets

A-3, used as tankers and ECM in vietnam: hasegawa

A-4: the fujmi is very nice but there are some doubts regarding the accuracy. The old esci had better shape but less detail. Still worth buying if found at a swap meet

RA-5: the best vigilante is from trumpeter, not perfect at all in shape but the only modern kit. Airfix and hasegawa did one each many years ago

A-6: the italeri kit is almost as good as the fujimi one and can be found easier and cheaper. Avoid the hasegawa one !

A-7 I prefer the fujimi kit to the hobbyboss ones. The esci/italeri kits are not too bad.

On to the bombers:

B-52: monogram for the D and AMT for the G. Italeri might have reboxes the latter, revell issued the former.

B-57: italeri. IIRC it's being reissued this year.

B-66, only used in the ECM version EB-66 in vietnam: italeri

B-26K: italeri, not perfect but the only B-26K out of the box

And for those strange birds so ypical of the vietnam war, the gunships:

AC-47: italeri, airfix also did one but the italeri is better.

AC-119: italeri

AC-130: italeri

• Like 3

Hello all,

Thanks for all the advice, knew I forgot something, scale is 1/72.

Have been looking around myself at reviews on the internet, and I think I agree that the Italeri F-100 is by far the best.

As for the A-7 I have seen Hobbyboss make a fair few variants including some with box art of Vietnam Era birds? The inbox reviews look good, but I am guessing they have their flaws like the rest.

Helicopters, I have a bucket load of UH-1 and Cobra's, a few Sea Knights and a Chinook. Primarily though my interests lie within the birds in the topic post, I have already built a Skyraider from Revell not long back, and just picked up the Airfix F5-E kit with a view to building it into a Vietnam bird.

And top colours, what would preferences be? Personally I think I am going to go for a Sand, Army Green, Dark Green... But would anyone go any different? I use Revell paints so if you could translate it to those it'd be perfect.

All the best,

Dan.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the advice, knew I forgot something, scale is 1/72.

Have been looking around myself at reviews on the internet, and I think I agree that the Italeri F-100 is by far the best.

As for the A-7 I have seen Hobbyboss make a fair few variants including some with box art of Vietnam Era birds? The inbox reviews look good, but I am guessing they have their flaws like the rest.

Helicopters, I have a bucket load of UH-1 and Cobra's, a few Sea Knights and a Chinook. Primarily though my interests lie within the birds in the topic post, I have already built a Skyraider from Revell not long back, and just picked up the Airfix F5-E kit with a view to building it into a Vietnam bird.

And top colours, what would preferences be? Personally I think I am going to go for a Sand, Army Green, Dark Green... But would anyone go any different? I use Revell paints so if you could translate it to those it'd be perfect.

All the best,

Dan.

Dan,

Have much in common with you, Vietnam, fascinating subject....... Both reality and models.

Unfortunately all my models are 1/48, so cannot comment on 1/72nd.

Fair bit of info you may find useful, let alone running the IPMS(UK) Decal Bank.... So may be able to help with them...

Give me an email at,

[email protected]

Can send you some stuff that might help with your interest.

This any use...?

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?boar...amp;thread=6404

Colin

Phantoms: the revell F-4F is very good and can be used as a basis for an E. However decals and some parts need be found elsewhere... hasegaws are The very best, with esci ones being quite good too. Better than the Esci kits are the monogram kits: nicely detailed, they have raised panel lines and only represent the C and J versions.

The Revell F-4F would only be suitable for a very late Vietnam era F-4E as it has slatted wings; you'll also need to obtain some slotted stabilators to make an E. The kit suffers the same nose & fin cap errors and too low rear cockpit of it's 1/32 big brother although the nose is less noticeable in 1/72. As Giorgio says, the Hasegawa family are the best option especially for the long nose versions. For the E model look out for F-4EJ boxings as these will have the correct 'hard wing' for Vietnam 'Es (but not the 'Kai' as these have different wingtips). For RF-4Cs you can use the RF-4E boxings from Hasegawa as they have both long and short exhaust options. Some of the Luftwaffe special schemes can be picked up as bargains needing only some alternative markings to make a Vietnam era jet.

For short nose Phantoms if you don't mind raised panel lines, the Monogram/Revell F-4C/D and J are probably better shape wise than the Hasegawa equivalents and have a nicer cockpit; they also have features not present on the Hasegawa F-4s like open speed brakes and can be found quite cheaply if you hunt around. The ESCI kits are also nice but have very poor cockpits. Fujimi make a decent F-4 family but again they have poor cockpits although they're currently the only option to Hasegawa for the F-4B until Academy finally produce their kit.

F-105s try Revell/Monogram as well as Trumpeter. The former have the edge shapewise although the F-105D can be hard to find.

A-7s the Fujimi ones are great. The Hobbyboss SLUF looks to have a somewhat 'squashed' looking nose - especially around the intake.

There's also the following types to consider:

SR-71

U-2

C-123 Provider

C-130 Hercules

C-5 Galaxy

C-141 Starlifter

KC-135 (and all the electronic variants)

C-133 Globemaster

EC-121 Constellation

O-1 Bird dog

O-2 Skymaster

OV-1

EA-6A Intruder (Fujimi did this as part of their A-6 family)

EP-2H Neptune

Real cuckoos in the nest would be a RAAF Canberra B20 from 2 Sqn and a DHC-4 Caribou from 35 Sqn.

You could even squeeze in a VF-1 and VF-2 F-14A Tomcat as these flew top cover for the very last exit flights at the end of the war.

For colours, the first aircraft 'in country' such as F-100s, F-105s, B-57s were generally painted silver. Early USAF F-4Cs and RF-4Cs were originally Gull Grey over white. All were subsequently painted in the SEA scheme often over the original paint which could weather quite badly exposing the underlying colours.

Some USN aircraft were painted in an experimental camouflage with A-6s, RA-5Cs, A-1s and F-4Gs (not to be confused with the later USAF Wild Weasel version with the same designation) having dark green upper surfaces. Some also had two tone green and at least one Vigilante used the SEA scheme. The dark colour caused problems during carrier operations so was quickly dropped.

Sorry I don't know the Revell equivalents but these are the FS595 numbers you'll need for the US aircraft; try here http://www.paint4models.com/index.html for matches:

SEA: Green 34102, Dark Green 34079, Tan 30129, Light Grey 36622

USN standard scheme: Light Gull Grey 36440, White 17185

Apologies for the long post, I hope you find it useful though.

Jonathan

A few thoughts below on Jonathan's very valid list of addenda.

My Vietnam/Indochina collection is 75% there, just have to get on and build the darned things now! Re: F-104C, ESCI did one (complete with refueling probe).

Re: F-5A, I cannot agree strongly enough that you should ignore the Hasegawa one and go ESCI/Italeri. I'm mid-build on the Hasegawa...

Has anyone mentioned the A-26 yet? B, C or K, the only good option is Italeri...

Re: Dragonflies, has anyone properly compared the Academy and Hasegawa offerings, yet? I'm assuming the Academy one is dramatically better?

There's also the following types to consider:

SR-71 (NOBODY DOES ONE THAT'S QUITE RIGHT)

U-2 (I'VE A TESTORS 1/48 IN THE STASH, MY OLD AIRFIX 1/72 NEVER DID LOOK QUITE RIGHT TO ME)

C-123 Provider (DOES ANYONE MAKE ONE IN 1/72? AMODEL IN 1/144)

C-130 Hercules (ITALERI)

C-5 Galaxy (ANIGRAND, AND PROBABLY A GOOD BUILDER FOR THE EXTENSION)

C-141 Starlifter (DITTO, THOUGH I JUST PICKED UP A LOVELY 1/200 ITALERI/DRAGON EXAMPLE)

KC-135 (and all the electronic variants) (GOT TO BE AMT OR CLONES)

C-133 Globemaster (ER, THAT'S THE CARGOMASTER! DON'T THINK THERE IS A 1/72... ANIGRAND MAYBE DID A 1/144)

EC-121 Constellation (HELLER)

O-1 Bird dog (AIRFIX)

O-2 Skymaster (AIRFIX / ARII)

OV-1 (HASEGAWA'S THE ONLY OPTION IN 1/72, NO?)

EA-6A Intruder (Fujimi did this as part of their A-6 family) (YES, BUT YOU'LL NEED SOME CORRECT DECALS TO BACKDATE IT - E.G. WOLFPAK)

EP-2H Neptune (HASEGAWA/REVELL/FROG)

Real cuckoos in the nest would be a RAAF Canberra B20 from 2 Sqn and a DHC-4 Caribou from 35 Sqn.

You could even squeeze in a VF-1 and VF-2 F-14A Tomcat as these flew top cover for the very last exit flights at the end of the war.

Dan,

Have much in common with you, Vietnam, fascinating subject....... Both reality and models.

Unfortunately all my models are 1/48, so cannot comment on 1/72nd.

Fair bit of info you may find useful, let alone running the IPMS(UK) Decal Bank.... So may be able to help with them...

Give me an email at,

[email protected]

Can send you some stuff that might help with your interest.

This any use...?

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi?boar...amp;thread=6404

Colin

Hi there Colin,

Could not agree with you more, absolutely fascinating subject and so much information out there, the link you supplied was a goldmine of such, will definately be using that on a regular basis.

I suppose the scale difference hampers being able to recommend certain kits, but what colours do you go for in relation to the topside 3 tone camoflage used? I have seen various comments on this and the colours constantly change through shades of greens and tans, sandy shades to outright dark earth tones. In the black and white photographs about it is much harder to get accurate representations but even the colour photographs are proving hard to match.

I think the general era, Cold War Communism fears in the US and the whole risk of a global war make it all the more interesting, seeing those jets laiden with weaponary heading into North Vietnam.

Studying it here at University is even better, my room is currently overflowing with essays and personally written articles and things as well as books and pictures, of course models. I suppose it is not to everyones taste but to me it is heaven here.

As for the decalbank... I may have to be sending an e-mail that way... I recently picked up an Airfix F-5 kit very cheap on ebay, with the view to turning it into a Vietnam bird, only to realise I have never modified anyhting or bought extras for my models before and have no clue as to what or where to go. Similar thing with an Airfix HaS 3 Lynx and SA330 Puma I recently acquired without decals. I just dont know where to look to get hold of them.

Anyway, best not take up all the webspace with this.

All the best,

Dan.

A few thoughts below on Jonathan's very valid list of addenda.

My Vietnam/Indochina collection is 75% there, just have to get on and build the darned things now! Re: F-104C, ESCI did one (complete with refueling probe).

Re: F-5A, I cannot agree strongly enough that you should ignore the Hasegawa one and go ESCI/Italeri. I'm mid-build on the Hasegawa...

Has anyone mentioned the A-26 yet? B, C or K, the only good option is Italeri...

Re: Dragonflies, has anyone properly compared the Academy and Hasegawa offerings, yet? I'm assuming the Academy one is dramatically better?

The Academy Dragonfly is a peach of a kit. I have one in 1/72 scale, crystal clear 2-piece canopy, decals for a Korean and a USAF version, finely engraved lines, slight detail to rear wheel wells though none in the front wheel bay. Cockpit has 2, 3-piece seats in a fairly good tub, though lacking in some detail. 2 sticks and a finely raised detail panel complete it out.

All comes on 3 sprues, wingtip tanks included as well as stores options to make 4 100gallon fuel tanks, 2 SUU-14A Dispensers, 4 LAU-3's and 4 Mk82's. However if this is not enough for you, SBS Model do a supposedly superb cockpit set (SBS72006), and Airwaves do an Etch set (AEC72057) although this is designed for the Hasegawa kit. Eduard also do a ''Zoom'' set for the Academy kit (EDSS106).

In comparison to the Hasegawa offering this is miles ahead, and you can get it readily available at a good price too, mine was £0.99 on ebay :analintruder: but other than that I have seen them retail at £5.99-£6.99.

Hope this information was helpful.

All the best,

Dan.

for the A-6 you could get the Italeri Kit, its an E but easy to make into an A

For the F-8E i would not discount the Hasegawa kit, its chaeaper then the Academey one and makes up to a nice kit. As in fact does the Heller kit. an ex USN Crusader driver told me the Heller kit is better shape wise if you can live with raised pannel lines.

If you want to do an A-26 then the Italeri boxing comes with Vietnam decals.

EP-2H Neptune - i dont think anyone does this OOB, there was an old superscale decal sheet and a newer Zoltz one but a lot of changes to the kit to make this version.

Someone mentioned the RAAF Avon sabres flew CAP over Tailiand during the Veitnam war but as far as I am aware did not actual combat.

Julien

Edited by Julien

this really is a great thread, now colour time....i found that in 1/72 for the standard colours after all my research i was pointed to these three, humbrol enamels H-116, H-117, H-119, now bear in mind its all about scale, and not all of the standard schemes were the same green, green brown colour scheme, you best bet is to find a photo of the aircraft you are going to do, then research it to death, then try and find the ''best fit'' paint to match it, at the end of the day there is no real right or wrong, as these aircraft were in the field, in a humid enviroment under severe combat conditons, where damaged parts would be readily swaped out from U/S aircraft.....So basicly just have fun and paint what you think looks good.

Edit, for my F-100, i studied a shed load of photos, and i finally came up with H-116 dark green, H-159 (think, im at work, so not too sure) and for the sand colour i found that H-84 Mid stone came out rahter well, to get an idea what these look like on a F-100 when matt varnish is applied just check out the link my one of my other posts.

this colour combination mated to the photo very well and a relative who saw them fly on a regular basis said it looked right.

Anyway, Have fun.

Edited by Moofles

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I can't comment on much else, all I'll say is grab the Monogram Phantoms if you can, they're just great fun but can be a tricky build to get right (I've been trying to get them right since 1987...) They show up on ebay now and again for not a lot of money. The Revell F-4F has all the bits to build a "hard-wing" version, but as said earlier you'll need slotted stabilators, of which I have many so you're welcome to them. PM me if you want them.

The Italeri F-111A is nice and inexpensive, I presume with such a large project you won't be doing too much super-detailing! Their C-47 is also lovely, one of the most fun kits I've ever built.

Hello all,

Been looking about, what do people think about the follow kits? All 1/72 any comments welcome as to go for it or pass.

Airfix A-7 Corsair II

Airfix F-105F

Airfix F-111E

Hasegawa A-6A Intruder

Revell A-7 Corsair

Revell F-11A

Revell F-8E Crusader (Code 4346)

I am aware some of these may have been mentioned before but of these could anyone go into much detail?

All the best,

Dan.

Airfix did a F-105? intresting list, i would stear clear of the hasegawa A-6 if i were you not the greatest kit, and for neigh on £13 you could get the fujimi one off hannants. the F-111 is not too bad, built one many many years ago. Cannot really speak for the rest of the list, but form the looks of it you will be getting somewhat ''classic'' kits from the late 70s so expect 70s/80s style toolings, raised panel lines and what not.

It all really depends on your budget, for around £150 you could get a large portion of your list in the latest toolings, lower the budget lower the quality of toolings etc, you get the drift.

{edit} the F-105F is a wild weasel 2 seater, so again depends on what varient you are after F/G two seater, F-105D is badass single seater ground pounder.

Edited by Moofles

Hello all,

Been looking about, what do people think about the follow kits? All 1/72 any comments welcome as to go for it or pass.

Airfix A-7 Corsair II

Old kit, not bad for its age but there's better stuf on the market today. If you have it build it, if you have to look for it, look for an esci one instead

Airfix F-105F

A kit that was produced during a period when airfix was not at its best. Several outline errors, detail is so-so. There was also a F-105G box

Airfix F-111E

Never built it, can't comment

Hasegawa A-6A Intruder

Very old kit, raised panel lines, canopy split in two longitudinally, no indication of the true hook structure, no detail.. a poor effort, and it's not even cheap to buy.

Revell A-7 Corsair

Very old stuff

Revell F-11A

You mean F-111A ? In this case it was produced in the late '60s, interisting kit from a certain point of view but really not as good as others that can be found today. Many features are of a prototype rather than a true series plane.

Revell F-8E Crusader (Code 4346)

Don't know for sure which one the code refers to, but Revell had 2 crusader kits: an ancient D with raised panel lines, and a more recent E that was a korean copy of the hasegawa one. This has recessed panel lines, but is not particularly sharply moulded. It's ok if you find it for cheap.

I am aware some of these may have been mentioned before but of these could anyone go into much detail?

All the best,

Dan.

im pretty sure he meant the F-11A tiger. im aware that monogram did a version many years ago, not sure about any recent release though.

If that's the case, then in 1/72 hasegawa has a nice kit. It's an early '80s or late '70s kit with raised panel lines (very delicate) and decals in the cockpit, but it's a good kit nonetheless.

In 1/48 there was an ancient kit from Lindbergh (IIRC), representing the early short nose version; and then there's the more recent from FM of France, representing the more common long nose version. The latter is a short run from a company that is well known for difficult to build kits.

Mind, no F-11 ever served in Vietnam, the Tiger staid in service very little.

If we talk about older US navy planes serving in vietnam, the only one was the F-3D/F-10 Skyknight that was used for ECM purposes by a land based marines unit for a while. Matchbox did a kit, that I think was reissued by revell recently.

The two seat F9F cougars were also used as fast-FACs. No kit exists of this version but hasegawa does the single seater and there have been a number of conversions

If we talk about older US navy planes serving in vietnam, the only one was the F-3D/F-10 Skyknight that was used for ECM purposes by a land based marines unit for a while. Matchbox did a kit, that I think was reissued by revell recently.

The two seat F9F cougars were also used as fast-FACs. No kit exists of this version but hasegawa does the single seater and there have been a number of conversions

If you do plan of doing a skyknight then a few issues ago of SAMI had a fantastic build article on the matchbox kit, well worth back ordering if you can.and likewise for the 2 seat cougars (twogars) this months issue of SAMI has the very build article/conversion info you need.

Hello all,

I think my modelling ability is way below being able to hack something apart and convert it. I use the odd bit of filler here and there and sand it smooth but thats about as far as I can go. When I have expanded my collection and rarer more unusual planes attract me more I will definately give it a go.

As a new point if anyone is able to answer, ordanance for Vietnam era, would jets or props have carried Mk.82 Fuse Extenders or Snakeyes? Napalms a definite as are LAU-10 and LAU-3 rockets, simple iron ordanance I have seen loaded onto aircraf too, but what else is there about thats ''common'' for the Vietnam era, so to speak?

All the best,

Dan.

oh goody goody goody

F-105 D carried a shed load, mk 82s with fuse extenders, M117 750lbs loadout most common would be 2 drop tanks, central MER with i belive 6 MK 117 and a sidewinder and jammer on the outer pylons.

F-100D on the whole carried napalm 2 drop tanks and the lau pods, but you will find photos of the odd one carrying a rarer 6 mk81s (one i modeled)

the A-7 carried the loadout known as snake and nape, says it all really.

when it comes to loadouts, google is your friend, type in the aircraft in question, say.''F-105 thundrchief'' then just look at all the images, see what was most common, read up on said aircraf then go from there, just bear in mind if your unsure look at weights of the aircraft and operational limits, i found this out when doing my Hun, dont overload your model with the wrong ordanace the mk 81 and 82 in some photos from those weird angles look rahter similar, so just bear in mind when loading up.

Also purchase hasagawa weapons set 2, has all your nam loadouts and TERS/MERS that you will need, and at £5 its a snap.

Edited by Moofles