Fine Moulds 109 F-2- FINISHED PICS

Well this would have been a quick blast, but actually this kit is a little devil! Fit is not perfect, detail is good for 1/72, but somehow the cockpit is bland, and the canopy does not open, so as you can see, I didn't bother spending a lot of time in that area. The seat was a quick carve up to try and represent the early style F seat- as yet AFAIK unkitted or unresin-ed by anyone,and an extremely different set up to the later F & G style seats.

Steel pitot on board, basic 74/75/76 on. Next step is to highlight and tone the '76, before blasting very carefully the fuselage sides with an extremely light grey as a bare canvas for what is soon to follow.

About an hour's painting 'spose..

5524013554_08613e7a81_b.jpg

5523418043_21db1ed05e_b.jpg

Edited by Mentalguru

Mentalguru,

Reading your descriptive about how bad this kit is I still think that you have done a tremedous job on this

Keep up the good work.

You have MY moral support !

Ooohh- I didn't mean it was THAT bad!

Actually, it's a lovely little kit- and I put the final touches to it this afternoon :)

Will maybe try and take some pics in the daylight tomorrow.

The paint I had applied was purely a "marker coat" as the JG54 camou I was going to apply retained the orig. colours on the wings, but that is about as far as it goes. Thing is with this kit- it has the typical separate front cowlings (always a chore to get these right) and it somehow feels really skinny until- you put paint on and finish it- then it looks lovely- so lovely that I went out and bought another one- for 18 quid- yep-

Ooohh- I didn't mean it was THAT bad!

Actually, it's a lovely little kit- and I put the final touches to it this afternoon :)

Will maybe try and take some pics in the daylight tomorrow.

The paint I had applied was purely a "marker coat" as the JG54 camou I was going to apply retained the orig. colours on the wings, but that is about as far as it goes. Thing is with this kit- it has the typical separate front cowlings (always a chore to get these right) and it somehow feels really skinny until- you put paint on and finish it- then it looks lovely- so lovely that I went out and bought another one- for 18 quid- yep-

I agree that it does have some small fit issues, the joint underneath at the rear of the wing can be tricky {there is also a sink mark on the bottom of the fuselage there too} and the canopies always seem to sit a little proud of the fuselage but the Fine Molds 109s are by far the best late model 109s there are in 1/72 IMHO. I have a whole stash full of them, I only wish Fine Molds would make the A to D models too {Avis from Russia turned out a fair representation of these it has to be said}.

Price is a sticking point for such a tiny kit but they make up into little beauties I think.

I agree that it does have some small fit issues, the joint underneath at the rear of the wing can be tricky {there is also a sink mark on the bottom of the fuselage there too} and the canopies always seem to sit a little proud of the fuselage

Price is a sticking point for such a tiny kit but they make up into little beauties I think.

aahhhhh- I thought it must have been something I had done!

Will try to take a few pics today and post tonight

Looks very nice, and it is a shame that it is fiddly despite the cost. I've read good things about these kits and your 109 certainly looks the part. If ever there was a gap in the 1/72 market it would be for a good, sub £10 109F.

Looking forward to the final pics, JG54 aircraft are great :)