Pibber dio

Shar2

For my second entry in this GB I'm going to be building the Tamiya 1/35 PBR31 and a Vietnamese cargo sampan.

Here are the first pics of getting things together and starting the build.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Just have to decide whether to paint the undersides of the hull red or black.

Edited by Shar2

Have finished the lower hull, originally sprayed with standard red anitfouling, then a light coat of lightened antifouling as a some wethering, then some green slime colour around the waterline and sides. It actually looks more subtle live than in the photos.

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

Anyone know what colour the water jets should be? I've seen them black, metallic or a mixture of the two.

I think I'll add some more weathering to the lower hull today, then I can get with building the upperworks. Thanks to that site, I have a better idea of the state these things got into and the sort of extra kit that will be need to be added.

Edited by Shar2

Right, lets start this again. Having checked out the info on the site Obi suggested and couple of others I have since found, I've started again. This time I've gone for the black antifouling, (as non of the colur pictures showed any with red paintwork), which will be distressed even more once I've added some extra detail and painted the rest of the hull olive drab. The silver gunwhales are painted like that ready for future weathering, again once the olive drab is applied. Whilst these boats were fibreglass, the MkII's had aluminium gunwhales, apparently.

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Thanks Dan

Have been able to a bit more to this today. It doesn't look much, but I've been playing with the PE sets and weapons. It seems that I have run out of Olive Drab and although WEM were super fast in getting my paint order delivered, they didn't send the drab tins. So I've tried a different green to see how that looks. I've only brushed this on, if I continue to like it I'll give thewhole boat a spraycoat or two. From the pictures of the real thing the paint faded very badly so this is what I'll be representing. Comments always welcome.

IMG_2930.jpg

The first of the three 50cals after the RB barrel and etch treatment.

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Sprayed the upper hull today and started working on the details. I seem to have more PE and resin for this thing than the things can carry, will have to restrain myself. Oo er!

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

As can also be seen, I've started trialing the weathering by scraping some of the green to expose the aluminium gunwhales.

The work up tonow is very nice I was wondeing however if you were going to wheather the .50 cal I used to work with these particular machine guns and they get real dirty especially around the muzzle wich very quickly turns a carbon colour the barrel jacket however rarely loses its gun blued colour and also the machine gun body stays more or less the same colour that it was issued from the factory.I think that the reason for this is that the L1 barrel shoots out real quick and might be made of a less than up to standard material, in the SANDF we currently have two barrels in service the L1 that is fitted to the ones on the boat and the L2 that is fitted in our ratel command vehicles the L2 barrel lasts a lot longer is very much shortened and remains the samecolour as the main body of the gun.