World War 1 colours, rigging and other random questions...

487 Squadron

When I am building an aircraft with a lozenge pattern covering,I paint the upper surfaces with a mid green camo colour,and the lower with a light green camo colour,then coat with gloss varnish.This helps prevent any glaring white or grey primer colours showing through if there is any misalignment or the decal splits/cracks when applying the lozenge decals.

Dave.

Edited by Alfisti

When I am building an aircraft with a lozenge pattern covering,I paint the upper surfaces with a mid green camo colour,and the lower with a light green camo colour,then coat with gloss varnish.This helps prevent any glaring white or grey primer colours showing through if there is any misalignment or the decal splits/cracks when applying the lozenge decals.

Dave.

Good idea Dave, must remember that.

Pete

No probs Pete,glad to pass on the info.Also before applying the wing end decal,I make a series of small cuts (approx 1-2mm) into the curved area before soaking,this helps reduce the wrinkling that can occur while the decal is settling down after using any setting solutions.

Dave.

No probs Pete,glad to pass on the info.Also before applying the wing end decal,I make a series of small cuts (approx 1-2mm) into the curved area before soaking,this helps reduce the wrinkling that can occur while the decal is settling down after using any setting solutions.

Dave.

I haven't plucked up the courage to try lozenge yet, but some good ideas for when I do, at the moment I'm building Uffz. Paul Baumers DV, when I've finished that, hopefully I'll go back to Fritz Rumeys Devil, then we'll see.

Look forward to that one Pete.Definitely gloss coat before you apply,take your time,and use a setting solution as it really does help pull those decals down over details and other features.Its those bloody rib tapes that I'm dreading on my latest project,a real PITA to apply and keep straight!I'm doing a lozenge winged Fok DVII from Eduard,Franz Buchners Jasta 13 bird,and some of the wing decals don't quite fit,fortunately there are some lozenge panels left over and will be able to cut out pieces to patch where they are short and damaged.I also noticed,(too late,they'd been applied,bugger!),where these loz panels butt up to each other,there is a slight colour diffusion at their edges,which has resulted in lines appearing chordwise,should have trimmed these off before application(where fools,especially impatient one's,rush in,lol!).Hopefully some of those rib tapes will help hide the anomalies.

Dave.

Look forward to that one Pete.Definitely gloss coat before you apply,take your time,and use a setting solution as it really does help pull those decals down over details and other features.Its those bloody rib tapes that I'm dreading on my latest project,a real PITA to apply and keep straight!I'm doing a lozenge winged Fok DVII from Eduard,Franz Buchners Jasta 13 bird,and some of the wing decals don't quite fit,fortunately there are some lozenge panels left over and will be able to cut out pieces to patch where they are short and damaged.I also noticed,(too late,they'd been applied,bugger!),where these loz panels butt up to each other,there is a slight colour diffusion at their edges,which has resulted in lines appearing chordwise,should have trimmed these off before application(where fools,especially impatient one's,rush in,lol!).Hopefully some of those rib tapes will help hide the anomalies.

Dave.

I think that's part of the printing process as I had this with my DVII and I believe the latest WNW Lozenge has it. Fortunately I cut mine off, well all bar one join :doh: and it does make a difference.

noted re the small cuts as I didn't do this on my build and the wrinkling was a bugger to shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Deffo not Black.

Don't think there's an exact science. A medium to dark grey would suit.

Vallejo have a couple of perfect colours in the Panzer Aces range...

305 Light Rubber... Roughly equivalent to Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey... Or Humbrol 64 Matt Light Grey.

306 Dark Rubber... Roughly equivalent to Tamiya XF-63 German Grey... Or Humbrol 32 Matt Dark Grey.

What are (and what colour) are the things hanging/trailing from under the lower wings? Some sort of penant attached to the skid?

Yep, they were streamers and they were black and white, usually used to denote a Jasta commander.

Edited by T-Tango

Great!!! :thumbsup: You´ve done a grand job of the Fokker green.

I was thinking of trying to make this plane from a revell 1/72nd kit..but the decals for the kennscht mi noch ? writing..where could they be obtained? I´m rubbish at freehand.

Why does the front pic of the engine cowling remind me of something???? :-D

http://www.felinest.com/images/cartoon-cats-10.jpg

Edited by Paul RH

The green is a thinned brushed Vallejo 70924 'Russian Uniform Green' base coat, then brushed Tamiya 'Khaki' followed by Tamiya 'Dark Green' streaks - I've added a little weathering, and after I've bunged on the decals I've give the whole lot a semi-gloss varnish.

DR1011.jpg

DR1012.jpg

Great!!! :thumbsup: You´ve done a grand job of the Fokker green.

I was thinking of trying to make this plane from a revell 1/72nd kit..but the decals for the kennscht mi noch ? writing..where could they be obtained? I´m rubbish at freehand.

Why does the front pic of the engine cowling remind me of something???? :-D

http://www.felinest.com/images/cartoon-cats-10.jpg

Eduard make a 1/72 version of it. Paul RH, you are from Germany - is Kempf's phrase an abreviation - would it be Kennscht MICH noch in hoch-deutsch?

Eduard make a 1/72 version of it. Paul RH, you are from Germany - is Kempf's phrase an abreviation - would it be Kennscht MICH noch in hoch-deutsch?

It´s Schlesien German...(the region where my grandmother comes from)...

The high german version would be Kennst du mich noch??...basically "do you still know me?" as a direct translation but here it may well be "recognise me still ?" Apparently it was a catch phrase he had. The phrase, kennst du mich noch, is a bit sarcastic (in this part of germany)...when you say it it intones the other person is a bit daft for not knowing you straight away, so maybe he ran with that as an in joke.

Thanks for the info about the Eduard plane...I nearly got a guy to make me a set of decals today, they would have cost me 10€...8-9 quid!!!