Flow Improver with Vallejo

T-Tango

I've just bought some Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver and yesterday I tried it with some Vallejo Model Color Copper plus thinners and put it through my A/B and it sprayed fine, no problems at all, however today I used it (about 4 drops) with some Vallejo Model Air and my A/B stopped spraying so I emptied the cup and gave the A/b a quick rinse and it was working OK using water, I mixed up some more paint and flow improver started spraying again and the same thing happened, I did manage to get the A/B working again and finished spraying, when I stripped the A/B down to clean it I found a few blobs of gloopy mess in it, I did notice that there was a slight reaction when I added the flow improver to the paint in the cup but it seemed to mix in OK. Has any body else noticed this happening especially with Vallejo paints?

Cheers

Pete

I've just bought some Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver and yesterday I tried it with some Vallejo Model Color Copper plus thinners and put it through my A/B and it sprayed fine, no problems at all, however today I used it (about 4 drops) with some Vallejo Model Air and my A/B stopped spraying so I emptied the cup and gave the A/b a quick rinse and it was working OK using water, I mixed up some more paint and flow improver started spraying again and the same thing happened, I did manage to get the A/B working again and finished spraying, when I stripped the A/B down to clean it I found a few blobs of gloopy mess in it, I did notice that there was a slight reaction when I added the flow improver to the paint in the cup but it seemed to mix in OK. Has any body else noticed this happening especially with Vallejo paints?

Cheers

Pete

I beleive the formulation of the actual paint in Vallejo Model Colour and Vallejo Model Air is exactly the same. However, Vallejo Model air is 'pre-thinned' with Vallejo's proprietary thinners. I imagine what you are getting is a reaction between the Vallejo thinners and the W&N product

I beleive the formulation of the actual paint in Vallejo Model Colour and Vallejo Model Air is exactly the same. However, Vallejo Model air is 'pre-thinned' with Vallejo's proprietary thinners. I imagine what you are getting is a reaction between the Vallejo thinners and the W&N product

But I didn't seem to get a reaction using the Vallejo Model Color with their own thinners.

I did a test at lunchtime, I mixed some of the Vallejo Model Air paint with a few drops of flow improver in a small plastic container, there was no reaction what so ever, no gloop, nothing, I then added a few drops of Vallejo's own thinner to the mix and still no reaction, soooooo I'm wondering whether the gloop I had in my A/B this morning had come from some gunk in the bottle of paint?

One problem that I've noticed with Vallejo is that they tend to dry in the nozzle sometimes. It might have been dry or thick pieces that caused the problem. And you need to shake them a lot before use.

I've also noticed that they don't like alcohol based thinners. Maybe that brand flow aid has it as a base?