Jens Jag :Finished:

desmojen

I got it painted this arvo :yahoo:

304337820.jpg

Topside is done with Gunze Sangyo acrylic Dark Sea Grey.

304337814.jpg

Underside is Xtracrylix Camo Grey. I can't tell you how much I hate spraying with bloody Xtracrylix. If Gunze is the Rolls Royce of acrylics, Xtracrap is surely Lada!

Here it is with the masking off. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and finally getting some paint on is a huge morale boost!

304337818.jpg

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Nice paint job Jen! Looking very nice!

I'm doing a bit of work on mine at the moment and it's certainly going to need some filler! Not looking forward to that...

Did the wings sit correctly on your kit? When I pop mine onto the fuselage they sit about 1mm lower than they should. This creates a horrible step down on each part of the spine where the wing joints are..

Karl.

Nice paint job Jen! Looking very nice!

I'm doing a bit of work on mine at the moment and it's certainly going to need some filler! Not looking forward to that...

Did the wings sit correctly on your kit? When I pop mine onto the fuselage they sit about 1mm lower than they should. This creates a horrible step down on each part of the spine where the wing joints are..

Karl.

They sat at about the right height, just had big gaps all the way around :rolleyes:

And then there's the way the spine and canopies have an unequal curve when you look at them head on, and the flat nose that needed building up to make it round, the gun pods, the fin, the strakes, the underbelly......it was a complete nightmare tbh. And it looked so nice on the sprue........:doh:

I'd shim the wings with a bit of plastic card if I were you mate, gotta be easier than having to fill across the whole thing.

Jen.

And it looked so nice on the sprue........:doh:

Yep, my thoughts exactly! I've got another 2 of them (a GR.1A and a T.2) that I had intentions of building in the near future... maybe not now!

I'll try and find something that'll lift them up to the right height. They'll still need a ton of filler around them as well!

Cheers,

Karl.

If you think the wing to fuse join is crap you should try fitting resin wings designed for a Hasegawa kit! :analintruder:

I found the fin needed a fair bit of fettling to get it to match the curve of the spine where it joins - and the underside panel won't fit at all unless you cut off the locating tabs and make some of your own up from plastic card.

Are you sticking the cannon bulges on after painting then, Jens?

I got it painted this arvo :yahoo:

Underside is Xtracrylix Camo Grey. I can't tell you how much I hate spraying with bloody Xtracrylix. If Gunze is the Rolls Royce of acrylics, Xtracrap is surely Lada!

Jen.

I rarely use any kind of Acrylic (don't like 'em) but if I have to use them, such as Tamiya, I thin them with Cellulose Thinners. Seem to spray much better that way.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks peeps, thanks very much :D

I have been grinding along slowly, and I think I can just make out the light at the end of the tunnel now!

307213203.jpg

The kit decals were all wrong, wrong sizes, wrong colours you name it. I replaced the roundels and tail codes. I had already fitted the serial and it was stuck, so I'm stuck with serials which are about twice the size they should be.

I did a few panels in different colours and then did a light overspray with Xtracrylix DSG, the Gunze one looked really purple.

I have done a panel wash with Phils dark dirt, but I'm struggling a bit with it because it dries to almost the same colour as the paint! :lol: That means you can't tell if it's worked until you put varnish on, not ideal I think you'll agree so I'm going to mix something up in oils to finish off.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Thanks peeps, thanks very much :D

I have been grinding along slowly, and I think I can just make out the light at the end of the tunnel now!

307213203.jpg

The kit decals were all wrong, wrong sizes, wrong colours you name it. I replaced the roundels and tail codes. I had already fitted the serial and it was stuck, so I'm stuck with serials which are about twice the size they should be.

I did a few panels in different colours and then did a light overspray with Xtracrylix DSG, the Gunze one looked really purple.

I have done a panel wash with Phils dark dirt, but I'm struggling a bit with it because it dries to almost the same colour as the paint! :lol: That means you can't tell if it's worked until you put varnish on, not ideal I think you'll agree so I'm going to mix something up in oils to finish off.

Jen.

Good job Jen,

Don't fore get, the wash will darken with the varnish on, but you could always get the black wash :whistle:

• 1 month later...

I made it! :yahoo:

The poor little Jag has been sitting in a corner of the workbench being studiously ignored. I really lost all motivation with it, but the GB nearing a close spurred me on because I hate not finishing GB builds. I had a stern word with myself yesterday and set to in a desperate final frenzy :lol:

Once I got all the bits and bobs together I soon realised that there wasn't all that much to do, seats needing making up and painting, fuel tanks and CBLS needed doing and all the little widgets and aerials.

The tanks had a wierd design which left a ruddy great step and gap next to the fins so I chopped the fins off. Once they were out of the way I could fill it all properly and sand to shape. Then I just glued the fins back on.

The seats are Aeroclub, made of white metal and etch. They are very nice but still don't feature seatbelts :rolleyes:

I put some tape on there temporarily, I might get some decent ones sorted later.

I then had a big sticking little bits on and painting session and was suddenly nearly finished! All that was left this morning was to fit the intake blanks, canopies and RBF tags. The canopies are open because they don't fit closed which is a shame because I wanted them closed :(

So here she is :D

315253313.jpg

How much does it look like a TSR2 from that angle!

315253314.jpg

315253315.jpg

I'll put a couple of other pics in the finshed build thread.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Well done Jen. I always liked the 54 Sqn markings, and the camo tanks are a nice touch. I think you must be one of the most prolific builders I know, and they are always cracking quality. ^_^

Take care of yourself

Andy :)

Nice result Jen, it looks much better with the decals replaced. I looked at the sheet for this kit and can see what you mean, they are definitely oversized.

I like the intake covers and RBF tags, how did you do them? And to open canopies look better than closed ones. ;)

:goodjob:

Karl.