Advice

dieselweasel

Guys

A good friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago and his family have only just got round to sorting out his estate.

He has left strict instructions that his "stash" should be passed to me with the proviso that I build them to the best of my ability OOB, the kits are:

Airfix Alpha Jet - 1/72

Airfix MTB - 1/72

Airfix Hawk 100 - 1/48

Airfix Titanic - 1/700

Lindberg Victor - Not sure what scale

Tamiya Williams FW14B -1/12

Revell Visible Engine - 1/8

Billing - HMS Bounty

My query is do I build them OOB as requested or embelish them with after market stuff.

Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome

Jim

Did you agree to this proviso before he died? If so, then you should stick to your agreement, but it is entirely a matter for your individual conscience if you do or not.

If you didn't specifically agree to it, then it is an unreasonable constraint on your time and effort. I'd either refuse the kits, or accept them with the qualifier that I would make them (or not) as and when I see fit.

That's a very odd instruction. What on earth can be behind it?

Formally speaking, the executors of the will have the right to check whether you've complied with its stipulations and can take action if you don't. Goodness knows what action that might be, or even how they'd know if you were building strictly OOB. But it can be set aside as unreasonable only if it's genuinely unreasonable. I think a court would have trouble deciding that OOB (less expense, less time, less weight, even) was unreasonable compared with adding all the bells and whistles.

However, in the circumstances this is all theoretical. I think the best thing you can do is explain the situation to the executors and ask them (i) if they know why the will says what it does, and (ii) if they mind if you don't stick strictly to OOB. If they do, morally speaking, you ought to refuse the bequest.

Lots of excited legal speak about this one, my view, for what its worth, is to honour your mates wishes and build them in his memory, perhaps he just wanted you to enjoy the kits for what they are as they look to be great kits in their own right. Certainly the Billings Bounty should be challenge enough OOB.

I say ENJOY! (and perhaps raise a small glass of the strong stuff to your mate in the process)

Cheers

Col'

Guys

A good friend of mine passed away a couple of years ago and his family have only just got round to sorting out his estate.

He has left strict instructions that his "stash" should be passed to me with the proviso that I build them to the best of my ability OOB, the kits are:

Airfix Alpha Jet - 1/72

Airfix MTB - 1/72

Airfix Hawk 100 - 1/48

Airfix Titanic - 1/700

Lindberg Victor - Not sure what scale

Tamiya Williams FW14B -1/12

Revell Visible Engine - 1/8

Billing - HMS Bounty

My query is do I build them OOB as requested or embelish them with after market stuff.

Jim

You can still build them out of the box and use the sprue for scratchbuilding, thus satisfying the conditions :)

I'd flog the Victor and Titanic though, there will be an enthusiast out there willing to pay some lulzy amount for them to grace his shelves.

Unless, of course, there is some financial incentive to complete the kits en masse.

Good luck anyway!

Build 'em OOB, as your mate wanted. Enjoy the builds and think of your mate while you're building them.