Chipmunk Army Camouflage

Jon Freeman

Hiya Jon,

The colours were Dark Earth and Dark Green, usually with a Yellow spinner. PM me with your e mail or e mail me directly if you still have my e mail address and I`ll send you a colour photo.

One was used in Germany as a liason a/c but most flew with the AAC Centre at Middle Wallop as FAC Trainers.

All the best

Tony O

Later ones had black/black and white spinners and proprs.

e.g http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Army/D...HC-1/1584377/L/

Jon,

this one gives a hint of the upper surface colours. I may have a drawing of the pattern somewhere, I'll have a squint.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Army/D...HC-1/0731604/L/

Hi Dave

Thanks mate and yeah the pattern diagram would be great!

Jon

well you learn something new everyday. I never new the AAC had camo chipmunks. I always throught they were in the RAF flying training colours with 'ARMY' titling

well you learn something new everyday. I never new the AAC had camo chipmunks. I always throught they were in the RAF flying training colours with 'ARMY' titling

They used both schemes - remember having 8 in the circuit at a small airfield in Wiltshire one sunny afternoon. :)

Peter

I think the black and white prop was a late change probably assymetric to match tailrotors and stop people walking towards it. I'm fairly sure that the only spitmunk at Wallop when I was there during the 70's had a black prop. Note also that it had a glider aerotow hook under the tail.

regards

Keith

If anybody does have a photo of the camo Chippie from 1912 Flight at Wildenrath in Germany I`d love to hear from you!! It was used in the liason role with the HQ British Army of the Rhine, but I`ve never seen a picture of it...only heard about it!

All the best

Tony O

If anybody does have a photo of the camo Chippie from 1912 Flight at Wildenrath in Germany I`d love to hear from you!! It was used in the liason role with the HQ British Army of the Rhine, but I`ve never seen a picture of it...only heard about it!

All the best

Tony O

Do you know its serial number?

Hi Dave

Thanks mate and yeah the pattern diagram would be great!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 13 No 9 June 1991 has an Aircraft in Detail feature on the Chipmunk, I'm quite sure there is all you need.

Regards

Fabio

Hi Jon,

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 13 No 9 June 1991 has an Aircraft in Detail feature on the Chipmunk, I'm quite sure there is all you need.

Regards

Fabio

Actually I was wrong: I checked the magazine this evening and there are only sideviews. Sorry!