First Solo!

Davec_24

Today marks my first time on my own in an aeroplane! I've been awaiting this since before Christmas, but have been thwarted at every turn by illness and rubbish weather. Today, though, I finally managed to go solo in Cessna 152 G-BNSM from Bodmin airfield in Cornwall. A major milestone in my training for PPL, and as you can imagine I'm pretty chuffed with it.

Sadly, this happened fairly late in the day so I've not got any pictures of it - just thought I'd share the news with my fellow aviation-enthusiasts though. It's going to take a while for the grin to disappear from my face! :D

Today marks my first time on my own in an aeroplane! I've been awaiting this since before Christmas, but have been thwarted at every turn by illness and rubbish weather. Today, though, I finally managed to go solo in Cessna 152 G-BNSM from Bodmin airfield in Cornwall. A major milestone in my training for PPL, and as you can imagine I'm pretty chuffed with it.

Sadly, this happened fairly late in the day so I've not got any pictures of it - just thought I'd share the news with my fellow aviation-enthusiasts though. It's going to take a while for the grin to disappear from my face! :D

im very very envious of you well done fella

Well done sir...I've a friend in Texas who is only a month or so ahead of you but he was fortunate enough to video the event.

You'll soon be in a Hawk :winkgrin:

not likely theyl probably all get deployed to afghanistan lol

Congratulations! :partytime: Truly a milestone in your life! I still remember the day of my solo clearly, as will you, you won't need pictures to remember that day! I soloed our J-3 Cub out of a friends farm field 22 years ago, and can still see my dad (my instructor) standing there. Best of luck in your flying career!

Eric aka Yankymodeler

Well done that chap!

I'm fortunate enough in life to have experienced it twice... First time as an Air Cadet in a glider (1987), Second time in Alderney (CI) for my PPL (1990).

Never forget either of them! Hope the memory stays with you too!

Well done - best feeling in the World isn't it! :)

I soloed in September '09 and qualified in April last year and fly Cessna 152s, a Piper Warrior and an Aquila with RAF Halton Flying Club - still pinching myself!

Off to bed now with a hot chocolate and my conversion notes for the Aquila (wobbly prop) as it looks like good weather tomorrow ;)

Keep us posted - gets more interesting when you start doing nav sorties.

Blue Skies!

Iain

Thanks all! It was certainly very exciting to have a go on my own, and it's also done my confidence a lot of good. I've been getting a bit frustrated (as I said earlier, everything seemed to be conspiring against me ever getting good health, good weather, a dry field and someone at the airfield who could sign me off all on the same day), but I have a fresh enthusiasm to learn more, now. Commanding the aircraft adds a whole new aspect to it, and I think I might even enjoy the challenge of circuit-bashing again now that I'm solo. ;)

I am indeed looking forward no doing some nav sorties - give me a few weeks to consolidate my solo circuits and do the PFLs etc. (I've already done some of the stuff like precautionary search and landing) and I'll be making a start on that! I just need to get cracking with the ground-school exams now...

Congratulations and welcome to the club - it is a truly life-changing experience and one that you will never forget. The real learning starts now - as you will be responsible for more and more decision making. And when you get your licence you will find that it is just another step on the ladder of learning. Enjoy!

Peter

Congrats,hopefully the weather and all hold good and you can start moving through the rest of the course, before you know it you'll have groundschool finished and be practising the different skills ready for the test. Then a whole world of learning really starts. Enjoy, its a fantastic experience and a great vantage point to watch the world go by from.

Happy Flying

Graham

Congratulations Dave, You'll remember that for the rest of your life as one of the very best moments!

Like lots of folk here have done, I did my first solo in 2004 in a PA28 (G-BOFY) and still get the buzz of excitement and a slight rush of fear when I think of it.

Enjoy that grin!!!!

Cheers

Col'

Just wait for your first cross channel solo! For some reason, you notice EVERY change in engine note, plus, start thinking about how little metal is between you and the water below :o

I'm just envious that you still have all those "firsts" ahead of you. Stay safe, happy flying.

Congratulations!

It's always a great achievement and one that you'll never forget. Mine was in a Robin DR400 at Rochester and I can still remember the feeling of "woaah! I'm up here by myself, and I've got to get everything right to get back down again!!".

Good luck with all the ground exams, don't just go for passing them, go for getting 100%, it'll make your flying all the more enjoyable.

Cheers, Andy

Went up solo again this weekend, and in doing so got airproxed for the first time! Some microlight decided he was going to cut me up while I was on finals, claiming (after being told to go around and landing after I had completed my touch-and-go) that he didn't hear my R/T call. What happened to keeping a lookout, one wonders? ;)

Also passed the air law exam on Saturday (second time lucky), so all in all a successful weekend with regards to flying!

Hiya Dave,

I found my second solo sortie was a bit of a confirmation that I wasn't dreaming that I'd done it the first time round (if that makes sense?).

Can only hope the pilot of the Microlight learned something from that. Situational awareness in the circuit is so important - both visual and r/t (and listening in to what other traffic are doing!).

Weather's brightening up - you're going to have a cracking spring! :)

I took the Aquila up this afternoon for my first solo trip after getting sign-off on it last week - I still have to pinch myself when I'm up there - such a privilege...

BTW - Just sending you a PM.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 4 weeks later...

I went up with the CFI and did my first nav-ex today. It was a local hop; Fowey, Looe, across the county to the North Coast (Boscastle), Wadebridge for rejoin and landing at Bodmin. I must have impressed him, because he got out and said would I like to go and do the same on my own. Naturally, I said yes! And so it came to pass that my second nav-ex was also my first solo nav-ex, with the bonus that I now know I can find the airfield when rejoining from the west, having not rejoined from that direction before... :)

Indeed, just a bit of a haze when I flew it dual, made finding the field a bit more challenging. However, it had cleared a bit when I flew it solo, there was plenty of visibility for a local hop on which it's fairly hard to get properly lost. Moderate winds straight down the runway, so no real problems there either.

Hoping to go off on a different route today, with some longer distances between waypoints to practice dead-reckoning, then with any luck will go and do the same route solo. Fingers crossed the cloud base isn't too low...