South African Spitfire

My third build for this GB will be a South African Air Force Spitfire, using the new decal sheet from Alley Cat.

001.jpg

Despite what the decals sheet claims, I believe these aircraft were actually low-back MkIXs - at least that's what Morgan and Shacklady reckon. I have so far drawn a blank matching the SAAF serial with the aircraft's original serial, so I can't give you any history of the aircraft.

I shall be converting the Hasegawa 1/48 MkIX (from the Revell boxing), together with gunbay covers and a seat from Ultracast, PE from Eduard Zoom, and Airwaves canopy and the aforementioned Alley Cat decals sheet.

Oh yes... and I'll be using the rear fuselage decking from the Airfix Seafire FR47...

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Here are the sprues for the kit. The Hasegawa IX has come in for a bit of criticism because the nose and rear fuselage are too short.

That's true, but I'm quite willing to accept that, because the kit is wonderful. It is well engineered and goes together like a dream. However, I've noticed that the parts are starting to show evidence of flash. Those moulds must have had a lot of use.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

The smaller sprues cater for different versions. One boxing has extended wings to build a VII or early VIII. Another has E-wing gun panels. The Revell kit is the basic kit allowing you to build a MkVIII or IX, with clipped wingtips being an option. Although it claims MkXVI on the box, you can't actually build a high-backed XVI from the parts in the kit. Although the correct gun muzzle parts are included, the wing gun covers are not.

005.jpg

Transparencies. Maybe I should have taken them out of the bag. :wall:

006.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Okay, here we go. Hold on tight, rider!

First thing to do is mark out the parts which will be cut and grafted.

Before the howls of protest start, let me explain something about the Seafire FR47 fuselage. I built the kit about five years ago. I attempted to install the Aires cockpit set only to find that it simply didn't fit! I thinned the kit parts to within an inche of their lives. I thinned the resin parts even further. Eventually, the resin cockpit sidewalls just collapsed, they were that thin. I managed to salvage the components and use them as detail parts, but the big problem was that I had removed all the kit sidewall detail.

Not to worry! About six years ago, Hannants had a clearance sale. They were selling the Airfix Spitfire F24 - unboxed, no decals, photocopied instructions - for three quid each! I bought six! I intended to use them as donor kits to convert Hasegawa IXs into XIVs, XVIIIs and XIXs. So I simply took the fuselage parts from one of those kits and used it on the Seafire. The knackered fuselage was intended to donate its nose for a XIX conversion. Well now it's also donated its fuselage decking. Of those six F24 kits, I still have four complete ones.

007.jpg

Port fuselage half with decking piece ready to be married up.

008.jpg

Decking piece fitted. As you can see, it was about a millimetre too high, so off it came again

009.jpg

The parts for the starboard fuselage half. I've used a lot less of the decking as I'm trying to retain the hatch detail on the rear fuselage.

010.jpg

Two halves with the decking fitted, filled and initial sanding done. The joint lines are still quite prominent, especially on the port side, so there's plenty more cleaning up to be done.

011.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I've spent a lot of time trying to clean up the fuselage sides but there is one seam that simply won't go away. I've just realised that it is because the fuselage side flexes while I'm sanding. So it's time to move on. First coat of aircraft green-green in the cockpit. You can also see how much Milliput I've used to reinforce the joins.

Some details painting to come. Once I get the fuselage halves together, the joint shouldn't flex as much so I can get it sorted and do some rescribing.

013.jpg

Here are the wings, with the outer gun bay covers sorted. The shell ejection ports have been filled and all the small vents have been removed.

012.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

This looks like a serious project Enzo :popcorn:

Once the fuselage decking is sorted, then it's basically just building the kit. This is the second time I've made a "bubbletop" Spitfire in this manner.

Detail painting complete in the cockpit. Components are ready to be installed.

014.jpg

And here they are installed. As you can see, the rear decking is still a little high.

015.jpg

016.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't the first time that I have used this technique to build a bubbletop Spitfire. The first time it went together like a dream, but this one has fought me every step of the way.

I have spent hours locked in mortal combat with the wing joint of this kit. :fight: But lets face it, it's no fun if its too easy.

The Hasegawa kit normally falls together. Dunno what happened this time, but the port wing-to-fuselage joint simply would not take! I used tube glue to start with. I picked the model up, there was a subtle cracking sound and the joint seperated. So... I painted the joint with EMA Plastic Weld. That seemed to do the job. And then, after the joint had cured, it split again.

So I brought out the big guns. I flooded the joint with Mek-Pak. That did the trick. I had used so much that I thought I had better give it a week or so to cure properly. A week later I was happy with my work and I set to with the primer. ker-RAKKKKKK! Yep... the wing joint was split again. Arghhhh! :wall:

So... I wheeled out the ultimate deterrent. Superglue!!!! And lots of it!!!! That has actually done the trick. I've flexed the joint quite energetically - so far it has held. Of course, all the sanding got rid of the panel line along the joint, so that had to be rescribed.

After priming, I sprayed the uppersurface with Xtracrylix XA1130 Gunship Grey FS16118.

"Hang on a mo!" I hear you say. "Shouldn't it be Extra Dark Sea Grey?"

Yep. You're right. It should be. But, there is madness in my method. If things go to plan, all should become clear after the long weekend.

017.jpg

So, here's the madness in my method. The sticky brown stuff is my mate Marmite. :Tasty:

I teased out a bit of green scourer and dabbed the Marmite on the walkways.

018.jpg

Then I sprayed Xtracrylix XA1005 Extra Dark Sea Grey in a blotchy manner in an attempt to represent faded paintwork. After that was a very light blotchy spray of Xtracrylix XA1004 Dark Sea Grey in the centre of panels to represent even more fading.

019.jpg

Once dry, the Marmite was washed off.

020.jpg

021.jpg

Next stage is to spray the model with water and sprinkle salt over it.

022.jpg

I let the salt dry and then sprayed more light blotches of EDSG and DSG. After removal of the salt and a light burnishing with Micromesh, the uppersurfaces have a nicely faded look with scuffed walkways, which the flash sadly overexaggerates... :banghead:

023.jpg

I've noticed that I still haven't properly sorted the centreline seam on the upper decking, so a little more work is required.

Interesting. I knew there had to be some use for marmite. Last time I checked some people had even tried to eat it...

Thanks for posting progress. The difference between the effects achieved by marmite and salt weathering respectivley is quite marked, and well worth noting.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

It'sbeen a while since I posted an update. Tht's because I've actually been modelling instead of faffing around! :lol:

So, here it is. Decals applied, up on its wheels. Into the final straight..

024.jpg

Lovely technique for 1/48 scale, I must remember to try this on one of my Ju-88's as I've got absolutely no use for Marmite and my kids never liked it either! Fab looking Spitfire, inspirational!

• 3 weeks later...