BoB Mk1 Spitfire

Could I register for this Group Build, please?

I'd like to build DW•K in 1/48 using the majority of the Tamiya kit. I want to do it in the old Revell 1/32 kit scheme – however, I believe the serial N3029 is not correct. (I don't want to do the Airfix scheme if I can help it). If he doesn't mind I'll take Rich Ellis' example and contact 610 Squadron Association to see if they can help.

I've decided to do this version as I see this as the realisation of Mitchell's vision – the aircraft to help save Britain.

Nick

Well, thanks Maltadefender, I can't believe how much work you had done on the research for this airframe. It seems a bit pointless asking the Association again for the same info so I'm going to think about it a bit more. I have a set of aftermarket decals that are 1/48 versions of the Revell kit's and also a set of Airfix's decals. The Airfix squadron codes have been 'painted' more narrow and a lighter colour than the Revell ones so I guess it's a question of looking again at the 'June photo' and deciding whose code decals match the image better. The Revell 1/32 kit has so much nostalgic value though, I absolutely love it, and don't forget that it came out less than 25 years after the end of the war!

Thanks again.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Apart from admiring some of the other models in this STGB, I have been making some progress with the modelling of my chosen subject . . .

I've decided to go ahead with N3029 backed up with this image:

DWKMS.jpg

Page 118, Morgan & Shacklady, 'Spitfire – the History'.

I've recently binned the half dozen or so Spitfires that I've built over the last few years because I'm not satisfied with them. So I'm starting again with an aim to get some consistency through them all. This is my first effort which I'd hope to have started within the BoB GB but failed. I don't know if this will work but it's been great fun so far!

Anyway, herewith my efforts to date.

Firstly, the wings:

DWKWing01.jpg

DWKWing02.jpg

DWKRadiator01.jpg

The wings use the top halves of the Tamiya MkI and relevant A-wing panels underside mated with the leading edges, wheelwells, radiator and oil cooler panels from Special Hobbies' Vc. The leading and trailing edges have been sanded to improve the overall 'plan'. Ultracast will provide moving surfaces, seat and exhausts – and possibly the prop. I prefer the depth of the trough and details of the radiator as well as the 'openness' around the wheelwells in the SH kit. Copper wire is used for the gun heating pipework and a hypodermic needle for the defroster nozzle.

And some riveting (which looks far more restrained in real plastic!):

DWKWing03.jpg

All my Spitfires will, from now on, use the Aeroclub MkIX fuselage suitably modified. In this case the 'engine' and tail areas will use the Hasegawa MkV. I've started on some of these other bits and pieces and hope to make better progress over the the next few days . . .

Thanks for looking

Edited by Nick Belbin

• 1 month later...

For the second time, I've failed to complete a group build!

I continued this build by working on the fuselage, originally using the Aeroclub MkIX and combining the the lower fuselage sides from the SH MkV. This involved a lot of work to make a rebated area for the lower sides and 'cleaning up' and thinning above. This didn't go as well as I'd hoped – the thinning meant that interior frames didn't fit as good as I wanted:

DWKGraveyard.jpg

I'd also started to try and 'upgrade' the instrument panel by drilling out the dials and thinning the main panel, and removing the flying panel so that I could use the Eduard etch and 'mount' it onto the rear panel. Trouble was, as much as I dared thin the main panel the depth of the dials remained too great.

After my initial disappointments I had another go using the Special Hobby Vc fuselage – which I've lengthened by a couple of millimetres (tail isn't fitted yet!):

DWKFuselage04Ext.jpg

I've started backdating the interior to a MkI by mainly scratchbuilding and using as many bits from the Tamiya and Special Hobby kits as well as the spares box:

DWKPort01.jpg

DWKStbd01.jpg

DWKSeatIP01.jpg

So that's as far as I've got. Maybe if I hadn't screwed up I might have got it done! Roll on the KUTA.

Anyway, congratulations to all those that did finish – I've seen some lovely modelling in this group build. And thanks to the hosts. :clap2:

Nick