Airfix Mil Mi-24 Hind D

Here's my second entry...

The Airfix Mi-24 Hind-D, bought at Huddersfield show last year.

016.jpg

It will be finished in German markings from the Begemot sheet to represent a machine of the Bundesluftwaffe

in 1996, which was later transferred to the US 11th Cavalry Division.

017.jpg

I would have built the Nicaraguan Sandinista Air Force one, but I couldn't find a picture of one without IR

suppressors on the exhaust outlets...

Edited to change topic description.

Edited by MadNurseGaz

All kudos to you for taking on the Airfix Hind. Hope your build goes well, looking forward to seeing the progress pics.

Thanks, ChancerUK, I take it this kit has a bit of a reputation, then...

I hadn't heard anything about it, and anyway, SWMBO chose it, so

I'll blame her!!

Here's early progress-

The Hind-D nose,

002.jpg

and the main body of the airframe

004.jpg

and that interior, with those seats...

003.jpg

And I've got no sense of :deadhorse: yet!

crikey, that's fast progress, at this rate you'll finish 20 to my one ( which havent started yet)

Well, I am building OOB as usual, and I'm getting a shift on, 'cos I've got a few more for this GB...

Apart from this and the MiG-15, I've a target SU-100 "Tank Destroyer" (Revell 1/35), and a

Revell/Zvezda 1/72 Mi-26 Halo I'd like to get in, if I can, but I don't want to start either of them until

I finish one of these...

I've found a picture of a Sandinista aircraft without IR suppressors fitted here, so with a little Modeller's Licence,

I'll build the Nigaraguan machine from the Begemot decal sheet after all!

Edited by MadNurseGaz

Well, I am building OOB as usual, and I'm getting a shift on, 'cos I've got a few more for this GB...

Apart from this and the MiG-15, I've a target SU-100 "Tank Destroyer" (Revell 1/35), and a

Revell/Zvezda 1/72 Mi-26 Halo I'd like to get in, if I can, but I don't want to start either of them until

I finish one of these...

I'd like to see that Halo.

Very nice. I remember doing a Sandanista machine from the Monogram kit when it first came out, many a long year ago!

Interesting that this version of the Airfix Hind has 2 noses. I remember building one from the original "Blueprint" box when it was first released and I'm sure it only had the gunship cockpit.

John

Hello mad.Great progress up to now tell mewhat will you be doing with the "A" nose I am hoping to do a very early bird at somestage but the nose is a challenge as it is almost none existant in the good ol RSA.I would be honored to take it of your hands if you have no plans for it.Give me a PM plse.

Hello mad.Great progress up to now tell mewhat will you be doing with the "A" nose I am hoping to do a very early bird at somestage but the nose is a challenge as it is almost none existant in the good ol RSA.I would be honored to take it of your hands if you have no plans for it.Give me a PM plse.

PM inbound!

I'd like to see that Halo.

I got its box out tonight, and spent a little time fondling the plastic, and reading the destruc (sorry) instructions.

I have concluded from this that the Halo helo will be a MAJOR project, and as such, not really suitable for a 3-month

GB. Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I promise that when I do build it, I'll put up a work-in-progress thread. I'm also

not sure it would qualify for the "In Foreign Service" GB anyway. The kit decals allow a choice from a Russian army helo,

or a Belorussian machine- but the Belarus craft wears big Red Stars just like the Russian one, so although its in foreign

service it wears home badges! :doh:

Anyhoo, back to the Hind.

I've painted the airframe, but the colours aren't turning out quite as I expected...

014.jpg

015.jpg

The colours given are 'Sand' and 'Leaf Green', but my Tamiya 'Sand' equivalent looks too yellow to me. I'd expected

'Sand' to be a bit greyer than that and less "bright".Although, seeing the full-size photos in the "Preview Post" page,

The colour looks better than in the plastic on my desk!

Also can I find a definition of 'leaf green'?...Can I b******s!

I tried Olive drab, but that just looked dark grey against the sand (like those Israeli Spitfires and S-199s), then RLM

Schwarzgruen, but it's still too dark. Maybe Humbrol 30 next...

Done the rotors as well!

013.jpg

Put a bit of droop in them too!!

She's slowly taking shape...

:coat:

Hi

looking good and moving along swiftly!!

For the yellow try Africa Korps Desert Yellow Humbrol:63 and for the Green Tamiya 30 Dark Green is perfect

cheers

Brenden

Hi

looking good and moving along swiftly!!

For the yellow try Africa Korps Desert Yellow Humbrol:63 and for the Green Tamiya 30 Dark Green is perfect

cheers

Brenden

Thanks for the tip, Brenden!

The search for the right colours was made more difficult by the fact that there is now only one Hind in Nicaragua,

it's the gate guardian at Sandino Air Base, and it's in a completely different scheme...

The Tamiya 30 Green looks spot-on! As for the 'Sand', I've used Tamiya Desert Yellow and it looks OK!

• 3 weeks later...
looks good to me Gaz

Thanks, Campbell!

I've had a disaster... (All my models are disasters really!) While carrying out what was intended to be final assembly work,

I found one of the mainwheels was a rather tight fit, so I forced it a little(!) and the whole undercarriage structure on that side collapsed into

its components! I've tried to re-assemble it, but it's not quite the same shape now, but the glue is curing, and I'll fix the wheel again

tomorrow- only now it's got a hub and strut attached!

Apart from that it's nearly done...

006-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-1.jpg