1/72 Airfix Spitfire IXc

I hoping that this will be a quick, quick build.

P1070311.jpg

I know that the Airfix kit will be a dream to put together and I'm hoping that the simple High Speed Silver finish will be just that.

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

• 1 month later...

Thought that I'd better make a start on this. Problem is, this is my first ever Spitfire and I know next to nothing about the type (shameful, I know), so please go easy on me!

The latest 1/72 Airfix IXc is well known to most of you I guess. I shall be making it pretty much OOB, apart from adding some Airwaves PE seat belts and a rear-view mirror.

I'll also be doing a simple post-war 208 Squadron silver scheme (as featured on this Freightdog decal sheet), to show off its svelte lines to maximum effect.

Here's this evening's progress..

P1070411.jpg

More to follow

Cliff

m'mmm MKIX in silver, very nice.

Shame about the airfix wheelwells/ cockpit, but it does more of less click together. These new releases of airfix spitfires have really re-kindled my childhood love of building spitfires.

Forgive me if you already know about the 'spitfire site', but as I was also shamefully under-informed when it came to spitfires, I found it's content really useful. www.spitfiresite.com

Look forward to seeing this one progress.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Will for the lead to Spitfiresite - what a great resource.

My Spit is now taking shape and ready for painting - I can't believe how easy it has been to build compared to my normal fodder of ancient/oddball kits. The most difficult bit has been masking the canopy. Quite a challenge in 1/72, trying to capture all the subtle curves (I failed!).

P1070423.jpg

Just trying to work out now the best way of doing the High Speed Silver finish from the odd selection of paints etc. in my cupboard. Current favourites are an old tin of H11 enamel, or some Vallejo Aluminium acrylic. Either way, they will probably be finished off with an overcoat of satin or matt varnish.

Cliff

I opted for the Vallejo Modelair Aluminium acrylic.

I always thought that these were 'airbrush ready', but my bottle needed some serious thinning (I used Tamiya thinners), to get to that milky consistency.

It went on beautifully...

P1070424.jpg

It's a pity it won't stay that shiny!

Cliff

My love affair with Vallejo aluminium was short-lived as , whilst looking great, the surface proved to be unbelievably vulnerable to marking at the slightest touch.

I never did get round to ordering the Freightdog decals, but was neverless able to cobble something together from my spares box (the codes and serial numbers are actually a mix of French and US markings :nono: ).

So here it is, my first ever Spitfire (more photos in the GB's Finished Gallery).

P1070434.jpg

Thanks for watching and thanks to the mods.

Cliff